The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 20, 2001, 03:21 PM   #1
RH Factor

I have just recieved a Colt Python 357 mag with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. I has only been shot maybe ten times and has been sitting for probably 6 years. It has alittle pitting along the top of the rail and the screw from the rear adjustable sites is gone. NOW..after all that..If I use a dremmel and polish the pit marks smooth can I replace the bluing myself or should I just say phooey and send it to someone else to do it...If so, Who does a good job? Thanks
Old February 20, 2001, 07:17 PM   #2
PKAY

My suggestion is to send the gun to Colt accompanied by a letter outlining what it is you wish to have done. Unless you are an accomplished gunsmith, hot bluing is not recommended. Besides, the Pythons were blued using a Colt process resulting in a deep, rich color called Royal Blue. I believe a factory re-blue is in the neighborhood of $200. I have just sent a Python to Colt for the same thing and will know Friday or Monday what the estimate will be. If you received the gun as a gift or for very little money you may want to seriously consider this route to refurbishment. The Python is a very desirable revolver considered by some to be the finest production .357 ever produced. If you live in CA it is even more desirable since you cannot purchase one here except in a private party sale between two CA residents.

Contact Colt Customer Service Department at 1 (800) 962-2658 for shipping details.
Old February 20, 2001, 11:54 PM   #3
RH Factor

It was a gift Pkay, and I'll take your advice and give them a call. It really it a great looking gun. Thanks
Old February 21, 2001, 07:30 PM   #4
Monkeyleg

RHfactor, from my own experience with collectibles of all sorts, it's better to be original than repainted, reblued, repolished, etc. The Pythons haven't yet reached the collectibility of, say, the SAA's. But, when they do, collectors will look for signs of the guns having been refinished. You'd be better off keeping it as is or, if it drives you nuts, selling the gun and buying one that's better. Just my .02.

Dick
Old February 21, 2001, 07:56 PM   #5
PKAY

Monkeyleg, in general I'd agree with you wholeheartedly. However, a completely documented FACTORY rebfurbished gun, particularly if was in bad shape prior to remanufacture, can hold its value nicely and appreciate if restored to 100% factory condition. I would submit that a Colt re-blue to Royal Blue specs would be acceptable to all but the most finicky collectors. And there are some of us around.
Old February 21, 2001, 09:39 PM   #6
Romulus

dremel?

Please banish the thought...have any pits polished out by the factory...nothing ruins the lines of a lovely gun or devalues it more than excessive metal removal from overly meticulous polishing
Old February 22, 2001, 11:11 AM   #7
RH Factor

Good advice from all..just an update...I took it to a local master gunsmith to have a missing elevator sight screw put in it, and I asked him how old he thought it was. His reply was probably 30 years although it was shot only once or twice. I also checked with Colt, they said to refinish in the original Royal Blue would cost $185 plus $25 shipping, and take 35 days after they recieve payment. The gunsmith I went to does really nice teflon blueing, but even he reconmended to have the original finish put on the piece. My problem is I don't want to give it up yet.. I want to put a few rounds through it first. I might take it with me to the gun show here in Louisville this weekend to get a value for it. Thanks again.
Old February 23, 2001, 03:40 PM   #8
PKAY

RH Factor, my estimate was the same as yours and included: prep and re-blue, hammer and trigger clean up, internal tune to spec., and test fire. I've also requested replacement factory grips. Those will come at extra cost. Won't know until next Tuesday.
Old February 25, 2001, 10:54 AM   #9
RH Factor

Pkay...I went to the gun show here in Louisville yesterday and took my Python with me...most said not to have it re-blued..that it would take away from the natural value. I'm not interested in selling it so I'll probably have it done. BTW..I took it to the range after the show and shot it for the first time.....OOOOO BABY...6 rounds at 7 yards the size of a silver dollar. I may be in love.
Old February 25, 2001, 06:41 PM   #10
PKAY

RH, There are those who wouldn't restore any firearm for fear of losing original condition value just like with antique furniture. But, factory restoration and/or refurbishment is OK with many collectors if well documented. I'm gonna go for it and am not worried about negative effect on collector value, especially where I live in CA. This gun cannot be sold here by any FFL dealer; only in private party transactions (through a FFL as intermediary) between CA residents who must both appear before the transfer dealer in person. At some point this onerous law must be overturned. In the meantime, however, every handgun owned by CA residents not on the AJ list of approved ones is appreciating in value daily. Good luck with your Python. It's a great gun!