The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 29, 2016, 05:43 PM   #1
Monday

Safety for a cap and ball revolver

Hello, i wounder if it's possible to keep a cap and ball revolver loaded in a safe way, with no risk for accidential discharges?

Is there any safety option avaible? Of course i could just skip putting on the caps, but it would take long time to put them on one by one, could i put on all at once, or something like that?

Any ideas?

Another though, i can just find revolvers with a 6-shot capacity cylinder, i would like more shots, is there any cylinders avaible with more shots that fit these 6 shot revolvers?
Old September 29, 2016, 06:29 PM   #2
noelf2

Leaving the caps off is about your only option. Basically, it's unloaded. I'm not aware of any replica(ish) cap and ball revolvers that hold more than 6 rounds. The more chambers in the cylinder, the thinner the cylinder walls. The 6 and 5 round cylinder designs were probably the maximum shots while keeping the guns still safe to fire.
Old September 29, 2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Pahoo

Tricky !!!

Some C&B revolvers, have safety notches and I have to assume, that yours does not. Other than that, you would have to come up with some kind of hammer block but this would be tricky and provide more problems then safe results. ......

Quote:
Basically, it's unloaded.
In Iowa an in-capped M/L, is considered legally, unloaded. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 29, 2016, 07:23 PM   #4
JN01

You could keep one in the same condition they were carried when they were first invented.

Remington style revolvers have safety notches between the chambers, some Colt replicas have pins on the back of the cylinder that serve the same purpose. You could also keep it with the hammer over an empty chamber.

The LeMat replicas have a 9 shot cylinder rotating around a 20 gauge shotgun barrel, but they are a bit hefty and expensive. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=3497
Old September 29, 2016, 07:46 PM   #5
44 Dave

What is safe, so no one can fire it or so you don't accidentally shoot your self?
A single action is "safest" on an empty, but I keep one loaded and on the safety pin in a flap holster near the door. YOU aren't safe messing around my house!
Old September 29, 2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Hawg

I keep them either on the notches between the chambers or on the pins but I use period correct holsters that don't leave the hammer exposed.
Old September 29, 2016, 08:26 PM   #7
BlackPowderBen

You can rest the hammer in between chambers on a safety notch or safety pin, depends on the model gun you're talking. The only black powder revolver that holds more than 6 shots is the Lemat revolver, which holds 9 .44 rounds, and it also has a 20 gauge barrel
Old September 30, 2016, 07:26 AM   #8
swathdiver

Hey Monday, you ever shoot a sixgun?
Old September 30, 2016, 10:00 AM   #9
g.willikers

Single action revolvers are pretty safe fully loaded.
Maybe if you're in the habit of dropping them from a tall horse, they could go off.
Or lose control of them during fast draw practice.
Some folks put a piece of leather under the hammer.
There are holsters with a tie down strap that does the same thing.
Old September 30, 2016, 12:50 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Most C & B revolvers have six chambers as do SAA cartridge revolvers (unless it's a "pocket model"). At any rate, just leaving the hammer on an empty chamber. That was done for many many years and still is. The same as when I load up a SAA, the hammer sits on an empty chamber. Unless your handgun has a cross bar safety, that's the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Been doing tit that way for 50 plus years.

Not to be critical . . . but from you question about putting caps on all at one time and revolvers with more than six shot cylinders, it leads me to believe that you need to do a lot more research and studying.

What is your reason for leaving your revolver loaded? Are you thinking a home SD firearm? if so, there are many more better options such as a modern revolver or semi-auto . . . or shot gun for that matter. Why do you feel the need to have more than six shots?

ANY loaded handgun, whether it be percussion or cartridge can be a problem as far as accidental discharge.. . . and usually by "operator error". I a cylinder in a C & B is capped and the hammer is on it, even in the half cock position, if circumstances are just right and it's dropped, you could have an accidental discharge - the same with a cartridge revolver. Rare . . but it could happen.

Another thing to consider is your individual circumstances. As a firearm owner . . . it is YOUR responsibility to know where that firearm is at all times if out of your control. While some may think of dropping of a handgun causing an "accidental discharge" . . . I also view accidents caused by mishandling - whether it be by you or a child who happens to find it and decide to play with it as an "accidental discharge" - either way, the results can be the same.

My thoughts are that if a handgun is used for SD or CCW, then yes, it should be loaded and ready to use - but again, it is the owner's responsibility to use good judgement, know where it is and keep it within his control. If it isn't going to be used for such purposes - why the necessity of keeping it loaded? Some may disagree with me and that's fine - but I don't classify C & B revolvers as SD handguns. There are far better alternatives out there, especially if going up against a perp who is armed with a decent weapon. And your concern about more than six chambers leads me to believe that you are possibly talking using it for SD?

Again, not to be critical or upset anyone nor your inquiry . . . but a bit more information on what you plan to do with it, why you want to keep it laying around loaded and why you feel the need for more than six shots would be helpful.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Tags
black powder , cap and ball