The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 6, 2001, 09:08 AM   #1
Eat more possum

I have a problem child 10-22 Mag. Misfires anywhere from zero to seven times per nine round magazine. Looks to me like the firing pin strike is both small and light. The gun is scrupulously cleaned and the same thing occurs with five different types of ammunition I tried. Ruger got it back once and it did the same thing. I was shocked. They have it back again and are keeping it for something like 60 days. I really really like the idea of a 10-22 in .22WMR, but to be honest, I am concerned if this particular gun will ever be reliable. Are others having similar issues?
Old March 6, 2001, 04:50 PM   #2
Badger Arms

Different ammo? How well did you clean the bolt? Did you remove the firing pin? There might be burrs on it. Ruger will probably change the firing pin and, if that doesn't work, change the barrel. The barrel might be a tad bit far from the bolt face. Finally, you might have gunk in your chamber or rim seating area that is 'cushining' the blow of the hammer. Tell us if you get the gun back and it still does this.
Old March 6, 2001, 05:20 PM   #3
Eat more possum

Yes, I completely stripped the rifle and cleaned it. Trust me, it's not a gunk related issue. I noted no burrs on bolt, firing pin or anywhere in the action. Like I said, its at Ruger for the second time now. The first time I sent it in to Ruger, they replaced the bolt assembly complete and performed unspecified other repairs. When I got the rifle back, I headed out to the range and got maybe 30 rounds off before it started misfiring again. This is a wierd problem too. Sometimes you might go 20 or 30 rounds and then have one misfire. Then you might get four or five in a row, and then it will go another spell and then misfire 7 or 8 times running. An this is with Winchester solids, Winchester Supremes, CCI Maxi-Mag, Federal Supremes and Federal HP, all same same. I thought it might have been a defective trigger assembly and tried to get Ruger to send me one to try before I gave up my rifle again, but they wouldn't go for that. So I sent it in a second time and now they are keeping it for 60 days or so to try and figure out the problem. I am a big Ruger fan, and think they will ultimately make it right for me, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. The fact that they are keeping my rifle for so long makes me wonder if this is widespread or just my crappy luck.
Old March 7, 2001, 08:01 PM   #4
M16

When I first got my magnum I switched out the trigger group with a regular 10/22 that I had tuned. I started having misfires until I replaced the hammer spring. So you might want to check the hammer spring.
Old March 7, 2001, 11:16 PM   #5
Chris Orndorff

Excessive headspace might be causing this problem also.
Old March 8, 2001, 08:43 AM   #6
Eat more possum

Two good thoughts. I was already wondering about the hammer spring in the context of the overall proper function of the trigger assembly, but never considered headspace. I shall include these items in my next communication with Ruger on this rifle. Thank you.