The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 30, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1
saintz

Sentry vs Stack-On Cabinet

I am looking for a gun cabinet to secure against unauthorized access (i.e. kids). I do not expect to defeat a determined/skilled criminal with tools and time.

Specifically I am looking at:
Sentry 5 gun: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sentry-5-Gun-Safe/4244347
Stack-On 8 gun: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-8...binet/14710763

The Stack-On is twice the size but weighs the same, so I'm guessing the Sentry is considerably thicker. The Sentry uses a thicker locking bolt, but I'm wondering if having three smaller bolts spread out on the Stack-On would provide better prying resistance than the single placement of the bolt on the Sentry.

In short, is the Sentry sufficiently stronger to warrant the higher price and smaller capacity, or is it about the same protection and better to go with the Stack-On?
Old December 30, 2011, 05:46 PM   #2
swinokur

I have the same Stack On. It is simply a thin walled metal cabinet with a key lock. Protection for kids but not much else. Mine works fine for that.

It's called an RSC=Residential Security Container
Old December 30, 2011, 06:56 PM   #3
JWT

I use a Stack On, that I put 6 shelves in, to keep my ammo locked up. Works fine for me for that purpose. Definitely a cabinet and not a safe.

For keeping storing my guns I prefer safes due to their sturdier construction.
Old December 30, 2011, 11:27 PM   #4
NorthForkSportsman

Neither is very secure and will be opened with a determined screwdriver. They are basically locking file cabinets. Agree with other member that these are best for ammo storage.
Old December 30, 2011, 11:35 PM   #5
NUKE HUNTER

it sure beats leaving them under the bed, or in a closet.
Old December 31, 2011, 02:23 AM   #6
mitchntx

Saintz, you will see numerous responses that say that either of those two choices will not deter some one who really wants in that cabinet.

And I agree ... and the same arguement can be made for just about free standing security device.

I think I understand what you are after ... someplace that you can remove your weapons from curious minds and probing hands and not some one looking to make a fast buck or play neighborhood hero.

If that's the case, then the simple system of locking should be sufficient.

Just make sure that it's secured to a wall so that those tiny hands don't accidently topple it over onto themselves.

Having said that ...

There are countless used safes for sale on Craigslist and many very close to what Academy or Wal-Mart wants for the locker style cabinets.

Something to consider.
Old December 31, 2011, 09:23 AM   #7
NorthForkSportsman

If this is what the budget allows then also run a security cable thru each trigger and padlock it. Then bolt it down to the ground. Those extra minutes will at least slow people down.
Old January 2, 2012, 07:50 AM   #8
motorhead0922

I got this one at Academy for $175. I like having lots of shelves, and it can be configured several ways.
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/s...ts/products/61

You'll like having more room. Even with all the shelves in (I have more handguns than long guns) it has room for 4 long guns, not 3 like they say.
Old January 2, 2012, 02:42 PM   #9
wayneinFL

I like the 5-gun better than the 8 gun, for the simple fact that the guns go in side-by-side. With the 8 gun, you have to move the guns in the front to get to the ones in the back.