The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Fox84

Just bought a Scyy 9mm

I mean $238, for 10rds of 9mm in your pocket. Who can beat that?
Old October 25, 2016, 05:58 PM   #2
JAREDSHS

congrats on the new gun, how's it shoot? hope it works out for you. stay safe.
Old October 25, 2016, 06:44 PM   #3
jbarbourtrim

I'd rather have a taurus. I shot one once. Thst was enough for me to hate it. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old October 25, 2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Pahoo

Enjoy !!!!

Quote:
I mean $238, for 10rds of 9mm in your pocket. Who can beat that?
Good call and not a bad price. Make that 10 + 1 and you should have gotten 2Mags. For the required service, it should serve you well. Nice warrantee at that ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 25, 2016, 07:00 PM   #5
lamarw

I have owned one for several years. No problems with mine, and I often carry it.

It is a pleasure to shoot and a perfect fit for my hands.

It eats my hand loads like candy.
Old October 25, 2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Minorcan

I have had one for a few years. It has fired every time. No FTFeed or FTFire or FTEject. So, why do people knock the pistol? I like mine and have no plans of getting rid of it. Enjoy you new pistol.
Old October 25, 2016, 09:13 PM   #7
CedarGrove357

I can empirically say about SCCY is that they back up their product. Had a customer come in with an SCCY which had jammed open. It was quite dirty as well. I was able to dislodge the slide, and disassembled for cleaning. When I pulled the receiver out of the ultrasonic, I found the receiver had split completely on one side of the magwell and half way on the other side. It was so dirty that you couldn't see the splits when assembled.

I contacted the company and they completely replaced the firearm. Sent the old one back, sure enough, the company sent a brand new firearm.

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old October 26, 2016, 07:43 AM   #8
Fox84

Good to see the good replies. I have a Keltec PF9. Ruger LC9s and a Shield. I'll see how the Scyy compares
Old October 26, 2016, 04:48 PM   #9
peggysue

I have 3 No problems with mine.It fits my large hand and loads like candy.
Old October 27, 2016, 06:44 AM   #10
Ibmikey

My neighbor ran off with mine and is now his wear to church pistol. After a year i missed it enough that my FFL buddy ordered me another this week. Mine always stung my trigger finger but it was butt accurate.
Old October 28, 2016, 04:33 AM   #11
peggysue

New SCCY's have a smooth trigger and many colors. Check Buds.
Old October 28, 2016, 10:23 AM   #12
lamarw

Another approach is to buy the least expensive used one you can find anywhere like in a pawn shop or off GunBroker. The warranty is still 100% for the life of the pistol.
Old October 28, 2016, 10:33 AM   #13
Pahoo

Still that good

Quote:
The warranty is still 100% for the life of the pistol
There are new changes to the warrantee and you have to get current. I believe it has something to do with the lost and stolen claims. As usual, the liars, cheaters and stealers, screwed it up for all of us. Still an exceptional warrantee and fine pistol.....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 28, 2016, 10:41 AM   #14
Pahoo

Still that good

Quote:
The warranty is still 100% for the life of the pistol
There are new changes to the warrantee and you have to get current. I believe it has something to do with the lost and stolen claims. As usual, the liars, cheaters and stealers, screwed it up for all of us. Still an exceptional warrantee and fine pistol.....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 28, 2016, 04:14 PM   #15
lamarw

^^^^ Yes, I am aware of this change. This change does not affect the normal warranty for regular warranty coverage.

My intended point is a user could purchase a used SCCY with no concern about getting a lemon without warranty coverage.

I purchased a used one back in 2014. I contacted SCCY looking for additional magazines. They informed it was one of their earlier models and offered me a brand new pistol with the works in exchange for the old one. It seems they had problems with the early guns under the name "SKY".
Old October 28, 2016, 05:47 PM   #16
Fox84

My range trip was far from I hoped for. FTF alot, about 30% . It seemed light primer strikes and not full battery. I would slap the back of the slide and pull the trigger again and it would fire. The primers had a very light mark on the rounds that fired.
I was shooting my 124 gr reloads with a CCI primer. I will try some 115gr factory stuff tomorrow and see.

Glad I had my Sig P320 and Keltec to run my reloads to save the trip!
Old October 29, 2016, 05:35 AM   #17
peggysue

Using reloads? The manual for my SCCY 's says not to use reloaded ammo. Do try factory ammo.
I also have a black one...

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attach...nge-may-23.jpg

Last edited by peggysue; October 29, 2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old October 29, 2016, 07:14 AM   #18
foolzrushn

One of the mods you may wish to consider...at least two manufacturer's have add on grips. I found that the added thickness, and less slick feel, was an improvement.

I have heard that you should remove any mods if you send it in for something. You will get a stock configuration back. Not uncommon with other companies I believe.

Also there is a SCCY forum. www.sccyforum.com
I'm sure some of you are aware of it.

Some have had problems, some have not. Some go away after some shooting. The forum has lots of discussion.

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; October 29, 2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old October 29, 2016, 10:11 AM   #19
lamarw

A majority of my shooting with the CPX-2, mine is a dual tone, is with reloads. I use mixed brass and Winchester primers, unique powder and Precision Delta 115 gr. FMJ bullets. I have a zero failure rate.

It sounds like your issue is a failure to fire with light primer strikes. It could be the brand of primers or the pistol. As you plan to do, try some different ammunition. If this does not solve the problem, have SCCY send you a shipping label and let them sort it out.

The current status is unacceptable.
Old October 29, 2016, 04:39 PM   #20
peggysue

SCCY 's says not to use reloaded ammo. Don't blame the gun dude.

Last edited by peggysue; October 29, 2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old October 29, 2016, 11:11 PM   #21
5whiskey

Quote:
SCCY 's says not to use reloaded ammo. Don't blame the gun dude.
Almost every gun manufacturer says not to use reloads, and many manuals even threaten that use of reloads will void the warranty. A good hand loader was probably making ammo in his first year that is easily more accurate and just as reliable/safe as factory ammo.
Old October 30, 2016, 05:57 AM   #22
Fox84

Same issues using Remington factory ammo and PMC ammo. Light primer strikes when the gun cycles to full battery. Two out of ten round slide will stop 1/4 inch from full battery. Three out of ten you have to pull the trigger twice

I looked at the spent case that came with the gun. It has a bulge in the case like it was fired out battery. It has a nice primer strike tho.

Front pin is walking out as well.

I have fired 175 rds thru this, so if it was a breaking in issue, I see no improvement

I'am sending the gun to SCCY
Old October 30, 2016, 09:42 AM   #23
peggysue

http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...ding-mistakes/
Old October 30, 2016, 09:54 AM   #24
5whiskey

^^^yes mistakes can be made. I've certainly made a few as I learned. Now I would pit my loads with almost any factory ammo regarding accuracy, safety, and reliability. None the less, the "don't use reloads in our weapon" is due to liability, not because the firearm can't function with reloads.
Old October 31, 2016, 09:28 AM   #25
Fox84

I agree with you 5whiskey. My S&W, Ruger, Keltec, H&K, Tauras, Sig, Glock, Walther, RIA, and Berrata all run 100% with my reloads. The only ammo I buy is my self defense bullets.
I don't know why a Sccy Pistol would not run with the same.

After reading the SCCY Forums, I'am in for a real treat.

Last edited by Fox84; October 31, 2016 at 02:18 PM.