The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2023, 02:15 PM   #51
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Even with 100MOA in elevation in the scope sitting on a 15 MOA rail I have to dial up to near max at 350+ yds if I still want some down elevation for closer shots. That difference in velocity of +/- 50 to 100 fps at even just 350 yds can make a dramatic impact on bullet drop in my experience.
I believe that. Out of the 100moa adjustment range, only half of it is useful, so you actually have 65moa for up elevation. The TOF for 350yd is over 1 second, probably 1.5s ish. The downward speed of the bullet is pretty high. The 15moa extra from the rail probably buys you 25yd more.

Scope manufacturers should recenter their designs to put more adjustment range on the top side. More body needs to adjust below the axis.

Having said that, nothing wrong with holding over. With good reticle, it is even more preferable to dialing it in.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old September 18, 2023, 02:20 PM   #52
FrankenMauser

The 'problem' rifle for us sees a difference of about 12 MoA.
That is, obviously, not a huge difference. But it is enough for my son to be able to dial and hold, rather than using a holdover where there are no references in the reticle.

Though, he should be able to dial right to a dead-hold.
I should double check that base. I am wondering if we got a 20 MoA base by mistake. The other 10/22s have 30 MoA bases and about that much more elevation available.
Old September 18, 2023, 02:27 PM   #53
tangolima

With plain cross hairs, holding over is hard (still doable if you try hard enough). Even with simple duplex reticle, it becomes practical. Now I have to have at least mildot of moa hatch in any new scope I will buy. Christmas tree is great, but it is a bit too busy.

-TL

Old September 23, 2023, 01:11 AM   #54
tangolima

Tried Aguilar subsonic today. It is not as good as tac-22. Hit rate drops by half. It drops less though, probably it has slightly higher speed. TAC-22 then. 2-3 cents more per round. Doesn't sound a lot, does it? It is 30-40% up. But it doubles the hits. I got some of my money back, I suppose.

I still have some Aguilar HV to burn through. I will wait.

-TL

Old September 23, 2023, 06:03 AM   #55
stagpanther

Quote:
Tried Aguilar subsonic today. It is not as good as tac-22. Hit rate drops by half. It drops less though, probably it has slightly higher speed. TAC-22 then. 2-3 cents more per round. Doesn't sound a lot, does it? It is 30-40% up. But it doubles the hits. I got some of my money back, I suppose.
You could recover the difference by recycling your can targets.