The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 4, 2000, 05:22 PM   #1
AndABeer

Several months ago I decided that it would be fun to build my own 1911 from the various parts suppliers that exist. It has been very enjoyable up to this point in that I am stuck and am unsure how to proceed. I decided to go with a Schumann 6" bull barrel with an integral feed ramp. The frame and slide are Caspian. Most everything else is Wilson.

Where I am stuck is getting the recoil spring, reverse plug (constructed to use a 5" spring), and 2 piece full length guide rod into the slide. With the reverse plug configuration, I know that the easiest way to do this will be with the capture method by drilling a hole in the guide rod and trapping the spring and plug on it. However, if I take the guide rod and the plug by themselves, no spring and try to fit them in to the slide with the barrel in place, no dice, won't fit, not even close. The assembled guide rod itself will barely fit in. I can loose some length off the plug at the rear and I guess this might help. Just hoping someone else out there has tackled a similar 1911 config and lived to tell about it.

Please do not suggest that I take it to a smith to finish, the whole point of this exercise is to build it myself and I will. Otherwise, it will not get finished and I will try to learn an expensive lesson from the experience.

I noticed the Springfield Armory .45 Super Longslide employs a similar configuration, bull barrel/guide rod, how does it take down?
Old May 4, 2000, 08:07 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

Insert the reverse plug into the slide, then insert the rear portion of the rod along with the recoil spring. Now thread the front portion of the rod into the rear portion.
Old May 5, 2000, 06:35 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Andabeer, if you are attempting to install the guide rod as one piece then Daniel has your answer. However, some reverse plugs will require that the tunnel be enlarged. This is done with a tool sold by Brownells www.brownells.com. Others will need some of the material from the rear of the tunnel removed with a safe sided file or milling machine. George
Old May 5, 2000, 09:27 AM   #4
AndABeer

I've spent hours trying to do as Daniel has suggested (if I am understanding him correctly). The spring is just too stiff for me to cram into the slide uncaptured. My intent with getting the longslide was to be able to shoot some fairly hot loads so I got a 22# and 24# spring. I was able to get an old 18.5# spring by this method but I really feel I need those heavy duty springs. Perhaps I am mistaken. Thanks for the replies.