The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 26, 2002, 06:24 PM   #1
Sodbuster

FN Mauser circa 1950

Is anyone familiar with FN Mausers from this time? I've seen one in .270 for sale that looks very intriguing. Seller is asking $900. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old May 27, 2002, 12:18 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Assuming you are talking about the FN sporter, not a modified military rifle, I can say that they are good rifles and accurate.

But they were a common sporting rifle in that period, sold under several brand names, including Sears. Unless it is the presentation grade (engraved and with select wood and checkering), it is not worth $900, even in new condition. New condition ones go for around $650; in average used condition (85%), they run about $450. Ones with other names go for $100 or so less.

Jim
Old May 27, 2002, 08:03 AM   #3
Sodbuster

You are correct, Jim, it is a sporter, not a modified version of a military model. It is billed as an FN rifle. I've only seen pictures of it at gunsamerica, which aren't the best quality. The furniture appears to be walnut that is checkered. No grade is mentioned. Just a nice looking rifle, but probably not $900 nice. Thanks for the info, Jim.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino