The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 7, 2009, 02:51 PM   #26
ShipWreck

My point is that tons of current semi autos have polymer guiderods - even metal ones.

However - I don't need the guiderod issue to avoid Taurus. Sorry
Old October 7, 2009, 07:15 PM   #27
Sevens

Full disclosure: I bought the Taurus (Pt-99AF, circa '94) and I'm not sure which one I would recommend now. Fact is, I've put more than 10,000 rounds through this pistol without a hiccup, but never having shot the Beretta, I can't sit here and rail against it.

I can say that I think the Taurus PT92/99 is in a whole different area of quality compared to many of their other offerings. No way I could put this many rounds down the pipe in 15+ years if this pistol were junk. These days, I feed it only my 125-gr LRN handloads, and it eats them and begs for more.

There is one point I would REALLY like to get across-- I'm just not on board with folks calling this pistol a "clone." Fact is, it's no more or less a clone than the Beretta. Simply put, this pistol is more the real deal than the 92F is when you consider that Taurus built them on Beretta equipment and meanwhile Beretta went back to Italy to change the design of the pistol they had been making... the same pistol that Taurus continued to make when they purchased the machinery and licensing to produce them.

You can make an argument about the Brazilian workers operating them or the standards to which they are expected to meet and how that may differ from the Italians, but don't try and tell me that it's a fake or a copy or "clone."
Old October 7, 2009, 07:39 PM   #28
IanS

Although I much prefer the older safety/decocker placement on the Taurus than the Beretta I'd still get the Beretta. I simply believe QC would be more consistent with Beretta esp. since they're producing them for our troops as well. I've also owned a few Beretta 92's myself and never had a problem or issues with any of them.

BTW most of the Beretta 92's available for sale in the U.S. are made here in the U.S. by Beretta USA. Although I've seen more and more Italian made 92's available as well recently so that's pretty cool.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:00 PM   #29
ShipWreck

Quote:
BTW most of the Beretta 92's available for sale in the U.S. are made here in the U.S. by Beretta USA. Although I've seen more and more Italian made 92's available as well recently so that's pretty cool.
The US factory is filling the latest military contract - they are bringing in the Italian ones to help fill in the civilian gaps.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:57 AM   #30
Sevens

And -- there have never been any questions about the metallurgy on the PTs, unlike the Berettas.
Quote:
That's not even an issue since the first handful in the 1980s... Don't know why the naysayers bring that up all the time.
...because it's REAL, it HAPPENED, and people REMEMBER IT.

And those were U.S. Military Govt contract pistols that were letting loose, ya know?
Old October 8, 2009, 11:48 AM   #31
snail

Quote:
because it's REAL, it HAPPENED, and people REMEMBER IT.
Yes 20 years ago. The Beretta has never been well liked by anyone near the military. In it's infancy the pistol did have some issues that were dangerous and unacceptable, but that was 20 years ago. At some point in time everyone will just have to get over the fact that the US military decided to field the Beretta 92. I am sure the PT-92 is a fine gun, I have never had one so I don't know. I would like to see the PT-92 go through the same processes that the Beretta has gone through, and then maybe I would save the $100 and buy one. Remember that most manufactors have had issues with their guns at some point in time, it isn't just a Beretta thing.
Old October 8, 2009, 12:06 PM   #32
ShipWreck

They wer also using ammo way too hot for that pistol.

U didn't put out ALL of the facts.

Quote:
Early analysis of the breakages by the Army suggested that the problems experienced were due to problems with the pistols themselves. Beretta responded to these reports by requesting testing of the M882 ammunition. Dissatisfied with the progress and methodology of the Army's tests of its ammunition, Beretta obtained independent tests of the ammunition that disclosed excessive pressure levels in the rounds (average pressures exceeding 345 MPa (50,000 psi), compared with the maximum NATO-allowed service pressure of 252 MPa (36,550 psi)).
Old October 8, 2009, 12:14 PM   #33
Logs

I had both and the Taurus Grip was a bit larger for my hands vs the Beretta. I traded my Taurus for the Beretta, but it was only for the grip. Both were very accurate. I have seen Stainless / Nickel Taurus guns used in the $300 range.
It really comes down to what feels better for you, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

http://www.louisvillemojo.com/classi...aneous#topcats

Last edited by Logs; October 8, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old October 8, 2009, 01:43 PM   #34
GetYerShells

Now, I could be wrong about this so someone correct me if I am but I believe that both the Beretta and the Taurus are built on the same tooling equipment. I believe Taurus builds there version of it on Beretta equipment, purchased from Beretta. So it's basically the exact same gun under two different manufacturers. Could be wrong but I remember reading that somewhere.
Old October 8, 2009, 01:46 PM   #35
MLeake

Same as the revolvers were built on old S&W equipment...

.... however, the QA/QC may not be the same.
Old October 8, 2009, 03:31 PM   #36
ShipWreck

They are using older equipment from a factory Beretta set up to fulfill a contract. Yet. Since that time, Beretta has made some internal changes to the design a few times.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:30 PM   #37
Brian48

Well, I bit the bullet today and picked up a brand new 92FS. To be honest, I never thought I'd ever do this. Being a 1911 (and .45ACP) man, this is quite a turn for me, but of late I've been misty eyed about my USMC days.

Anyway, fit and finish is good as far as I can tell (remember), however I was a little taken back at the polymer parts. I mean, I knew Beretta was using them these days, but never thought that it would bother me as much as it does. Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:38 PM   #38
Beentown71

Or you could change them out for a very small amount of money. I think a guide rod runs about $25.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old October 8, 2009, 08:45 PM   #39
gun nut

Go with the beretta. I've had mine for almost 20 years and it has been excellent.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:51 PM   #40
spodwo

I will speak about PT92 quality - of course mine is from the 90s....

It is great. No issues with it ever...very solid and frankly it is from the former Beretta Brazilian plant.

I cannot speak to the quality of the newer ones.

Frankly - I like this Beretta...

Old October 8, 2009, 09:44 PM   #41
Brian48

Quote:
Or you could change them out for a very small amount of money. I think a guide rod runs about $25.
Well, the guide rod doesn't bother me as much. I know I can replace those. It's just the decocker levers that bother me.
Old October 8, 2009, 09:52 PM   #42
ShipWreck

1 side is metal, 1 is polymer.

On the 92s, never heard of any complaints about the polymer one. Apparently, one reason for polymer was because of finish wear on the metal ones from people who carried the gun for a living (in and out the holster)

as it is a high point, it got a lot of wear
Old October 8, 2009, 10:34 PM   #43
rickyjames

i purchased a new beretta 92, it was a good gun. i gave it as a present to my brother. i replaced it with a blued taurus pt-92 for myself. the taurus has been totally reliable out of the box, the beretta did need some break in. i liked the taurus enough to buy a second one in stainless steel. i like the safety better on the taurus. my taurus outshoots my brothers beretta, maybe it's the gun, maybe it's my brother. the taurus pt-92 is widely regarded as one of taurus better guns.
Old October 9, 2009, 01:11 AM   #44
Firepower!

Beretta 92. There is simply no comparison with Taurus.

I also dont understand folks who are talking about locked and cocked 92fs. The safety on Beretta 92 is a decocker as well. Its not a locked and cocked.
Old October 9, 2009, 02:27 AM   #45
Firepower!

Beretta 92. There is simply no comparison with Taurus.

I also dont understand folks who are talking about locked and cocked 92fs. The safety on Beretta 92 is a decocker as well. Its not a locked and cocked.
Old October 9, 2009, 06:57 AM   #46
Maromero

Quote:
. I had both and the Taurus Grip was a bit larger for my hands vs the Beretta. I traded my Taurus for the Beretta, but it was only for the grip
The difference are the grips not the frame.
Old October 9, 2009, 07:17 AM   #47
Sevens

Quote:
Yes, you don't understand. The folks talking about cocked & locked are those that enjoy carrying a handgun in this manner, which the Beretta is not designed to do. The Taurus however, can do this.

I don't think it's a deal breaker myself, but it does detail one of the differences.

Tags
beretta 92fs , taurus 92