The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 11, 2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Mainah

Dog Defense

I've seen several threads devoted to this over the years, I've got what I think is a unique twist. I own a 26 pound Boston Terrier and I walk him on a leash. An hour ago we were a block from home when three pit bulls ran down a driveway and surrounded me.

I had time to pick my dog up, that's it. Then we were surrounded, fortunately the dogs were relatively friendly and their owner was right there and extremely apologetic. I walked away a little shaken, but me and my dog are fine.

But I've had other encounters with large off-leash dogs in the past. And given that mine is small I'm always going to pick him up, and while that offers him some protection it then leaves us both vulnerable. He's 26 pounds of muscle, and not content to rest calmly in my arms.

So how can I effectively defend both of us while he struggles in my arms and one or more dogs is trying to get him? Seems like the worst possible scenario for my 642, especially in a populated area. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old April 11, 2016, 02:51 PM   #2
K_Mac

Pepper spray is my solution. I always carry both spray and a pistol. A couple of blasts of a quality spray will convince even the most aggressive dog to find something else to do. Usually one will do. I use Fox spray.
Old April 11, 2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Mainah

Thanks, that's an option. But I worry about wind and disabling myself. How do you train to deploy spray under duress?
Old April 11, 2016, 03:06 PM   #4
jmhyer

Consider a foam rather than a spray. Easier to place the product where you want it and not where you don't want it.
Old April 11, 2016, 03:14 PM   #5
NateKirk

If the dog is not actively killing anything I suggest you just let them do their business. Most dogs are not running up to eat you or your pets, but simply want to say hello. Just let them sniff and horse around with your dog a bit and see where it goes before you whip out the pepper spray, because more likely than not, if you pepper spray someones dog for no reason, you're going to have to deal with an angry owner as well. Understanding how dogs think is a better defense than pepper spray IMO; people can be clueless around dogs and both parties suffer for it.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old April 11, 2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Mainah

Didn't know they made foam, can you recommend a brand? I got a telescoping night stick a few years ago, but carrying it is illegal here.
Old April 11, 2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

As an owner of a Pitbull, please don't see them as any more or less aggressive than any other breed. First it was the Rottweiler, then Doberman Pinscher, and now it's Pitbulls. You didn't say anything bad, but just trying to nip it while I can. I've seen way too many Pitbulls get shot here in Miami because they've been outlawed. Doesn't stop us from having them though. Like guns? Ha...

Anyways, if you do have any fears of being attacked by large dogs or them grabbing hold of yours. I would say pepper spray / mace as your best bet. There are many highly debatable ways to deter a dog that is not trained to attack, but again. They're debatable and I don't want to open up that can of worms. So... Mace.
Old April 11, 2016, 03:44 PM   #8
Mainah

I've owned Rottweilers, a German Shepard, and a Doberman. This is not an anti-breed thread, more importantly this is not a dog forum. Just looking for advice.
Old April 11, 2016, 03:45 PM   #9
lunger

Three dogs off leash of any breed surrounding you constitutes a threat. I assume you were not on his property.

Pepper spray would be a good first option.

As for dealing with an angry owner, it is his responsibility to keep his dogs under control
Old April 11, 2016, 03:59 PM   #10
K_Mac

Quote:
Thanks, that's an option. But I worry about wind and disabling myself. How do you train to deploy spray under duress?
You have to be aware of the wind, and move accordingly. I am very familiar with dogs, and will always give them a chance to have their say without escalating the aggression. Some dogs will not be reasoned with. I hike and run regularly, and have had a couple that I would have had to shoot if I wasn't carrying spray. That will be my position with an owner who takes offense at me spraying his unleashed, aggressive dog. The dog will get over the spray with no real harm done, and learn a valuable lesson in the process.
Old April 11, 2016, 04:27 PM   #11
FITASC

a good solid walking stick; better yet, a nice shillelagh:

http://www.oldeshillelagh.com/store

A solid rap on the nose and he'll back off
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 11, 2016, 04:30 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
As an owner of a Pitbull, please don't see them as any more or less aggressive than any other breed.
Do the research-see the stats. They are not like other dogs.http://dogbitelaw.com/images/pdf/Dog...06_Clifton.pdf
http://www.livescience.com/27145-are...dangerous.html

I always am armed (.38 Special Snub, even on my own property), will not hesitate to defend against dogs, especially a pitbull(s). Why pitbull owners seem put-off by this begs the question: Why do you think that I have to risk being attacked by your pitbull?
Old April 11, 2016, 04:38 PM   #13
zincwarrior

I have very strong pepper spray-the kind that is sprayed in a stream. Its worked on a husky before, and I carry it in my hand when I walk the dogs.

However I view pit bulls as a threat to myself as well. I would be sad but would not hesitate to put one down.
Old April 11, 2016, 05:14 PM   #14
Mainah

I get that the breed can inflict more damage than most, but that doesn't give me magic powers that can deliver accurate shots with one hand while several dogs are jumping to get the one I'm holding.

Seems like this scenario could also apply if you're walking a small child. If you have at least one arm occupied with a struggling target, what is the best means of defense against aggressive dogs?
Old April 11, 2016, 05:15 PM   #15
jmhyer

SABRE has both foam and gel products. A quick google search should provide good information.
Old April 11, 2016, 05:16 PM   #16
DaleA

Let's get that puppy trained up!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Xe6vgbBQfyM%3A
Old April 11, 2016, 05:35 PM   #17
Lprmcnit

Dog Defense

In Eric Haney's book, Inside Delta Force, he talks about using a mix of household ammonia and water in a squirt gun.
Old April 11, 2016, 05:46 PM   #18
K_Mac

Fox makes a couple of different delivery streams. The more narrow stream might work, but the last narrow stream I had from another manufacturer produced such a tiny stream hitting a target was difficult at best. I use the standard stream recommend for civilian use.

There is no magic answer to your question. Pepper spray, gel, or mace are the best answers in my opinion. I understand your concerns. I regularly walk with my little dog, grandkids and wife. When I do my radar has to be operating at a high level. Three attackers, whether two or four legged is a difficult situation. Stop one and the others might decide to find something else to do. With spray you might be able to get all three. If nothing else it might give you the time to draw and fire your handgun. It is the reason I practice using a one hand grip at times. Good luck.
Old April 11, 2016, 06:29 PM   #19
Pahoo

Expect the best and prepare for the worst !!!

Quote:
As an owner of a Pitbull, please don't see them as any more or less aggressive than any other breed.
Then why is it that many municipalities have passed laws that no Pitbulls or Rottweilers are allowed within the city limits. A friend of mine was a dog-catcher for three cities that have such laws and on his own initiative, gave the owner 48hrs. to get rid of the dog. He knew their game and kept an eye on these owners. Some got the point, the hard way. ....

Quote:
In Eric Haney's book, Inside Delta Force, he talks about using a mix of household ammonia and water in a squirt gun.
Hope you didn't buy that book as I can tell your from personal experience that it had little effect during my encounters. If we are going to give advice on any spray product, you better make sure it works. It can be a matter of life and death. .....

Quote:
Just let them sniff and horse around with your dog a bit and see where it goes before you whip out the pepper spray,
NOT !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 11, 2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old April 11, 2016, 07:18 PM   #20
NateKirk

Pahoo, you obviously do not understand dogs. If one is running up to you or your pet it is unlikely that it is doing so because it needs to kill something. Pepper spraying a dog just because it approaches you is making the mistake of not processing all the information. You can always be ready, but you have no right to act until there is cause to do so.

Quote:
Quote:
Then why is it that many municipalities have passed laws that no Pitbulls or Rottweilers are allowed within the city limits.
For the same reason that they've passed laws banning switchblades, absinthe, and Where's Waldo books; because they have to cater to scarred soccer moms who know absolutely nothing about the matter, but are terrified because they were fed a 30 second story by a sensationalist media.

Quote:
As for dealing with an angry owner, it is his responsibility to keep his dogs under control
That angry owner is going to be focused on the fact that you just "hurt" his animals, and is going to care little about who is responsible in the moment.

― --Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by NateKirk; April 11, 2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old April 11, 2016, 07:31 PM   #21
Pahoo

Correct !!!

Quote:
Pahoo, you obviously do not understand dogs.
You need to go back and read the OPs initial post refers to. He is specifically talking about Pitbulls and not just any dog. As far as understanding what a Pitbull might be thinking, you are correct. I do watch a dog's body language and I always look for a leash. Most of time, it's the dog owners that I find fault with. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old April 11, 2016, 07:36 PM   #22
NateKirk

Quote:
You need to go back and read the OPs initial post refers to. He is specifically talking about Pitbulls and not just any dog
I've read the original post. Are you implying that Pitbulls are somehow special among dogs? If so, please elaborate, because the type of dog should not be what one reacts to, but what the dog is actually doing.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old April 11, 2016, 08:17 PM   #23
CaptainO

I can quickly assess the dog's attitude.

If the dog is attacking with vicious intent, it is shot to death. No time for "second guesses". If the owner wants to "attack" I'll make certain that I have enough ammunition.

Irresponsible owners (usually druggies) can be easily removed from the "gene pool". (A little "chlorine" works wonders).

Be happy and responsible. "Avoid regrets... control your pet".

Thanks
Old April 11, 2016, 08:32 PM   #24
NateKirk

Captain, that kind of aggressive attitude is frowned upon in court I would imagine. Just because it is a dog that is attacking doesn't make it necessarily much different from any other SD scenario. Even if you were justified you could still be sued for destruction of property, charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm etc. and the chances of this happening increase if one takes on a "shoot first, ask questions later" frame of mind.

Back to the original discussion, if going the pepper spray route make sure that it is quality stuff from a proven brand. I had a mailman that once "pepper sprayed" my brother's dog after he jumped the fence. The stuff must have been expired or as weak as water, because aside from a few sneezes, it didn't slow him down in the slightest and he proceeded to chase the poor man down the street.

― --Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by NateKirk; April 11, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old April 11, 2016, 09:40 PM   #25
K_Mac

NateKirk I love dogs. The difference between pitbulls and other large aggressive breeds, and other dogs is huge. I am going to be far more willing to give some breeds a chance to posture than a pitbull. Why? I am not going to give an animal (or 3) that can kill me or mine the opportunity. If the neighbor lady chases me with a bat I will run; if her husband pulls a gun, maybe not. Allowing a pitbull or a thug the chance to hurt me or mine won't happen if I can prevent it. I will always look for a way out, but I am not going to allow an undisciplined, unrestrained dangerous animal to aggressively approach me. If that offends the owner or anyone else, so be it.