The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2013, 04:35 PM   #26
balyon85

Re: shotshell reloading

I use the Lanes Reloader, its a hand loader and works great. Some of the crimps come out better than others, but they still function for me. Start up cost, 35 bucks, a lot slower, but I'm not loading for speed.
Old December 8, 2013, 05:13 PM   #27
pathdoc

A Lane's loader? Hey, in what gauge? I've got them in 12Ga and .410. I was able to get the 12Ga to work, though the crimps were not great and I ended up tightening a few in the Load-All II, but the .410 has so far been ******** hopeless, specifically when it comes to forming the fold crimp. I'm being generous thus far and putting it down to the cases I tried it with (Winchester Super X, closest thing to .410 AA there was), but until I've fired off some good quality stuff or got a valid recipe for Challenger cases, there's no way to be sure.

Edited to add a reply to this:

If you decide to go with a Lee Load-All, get the old version, for half the price.

Point taken provided that (a) one could find it and (b) the shipping costs on Fleabay do not shove that price through the roof. As with MEC, I found this was a no-go. I got the II because it was available at short notice and came new with all parts and warranty, have used it for a couple-hundred reloads, and am defending it on the basis of (admittedly limited) experience.

For various reasons, I'm not currently in a position to either (a) invest in more shotshell reloading gear than I've already got, or (b) shoot enough shotshells to justify the upgrade even if (a) were not a factor. I like using the Load-All II, I like the left-to-right straightline layout, and I'll stick with it till I break it or until I feel I have both the need and the experience to handle a progressive. Then it's straight to MEC for the replacement.

Last edited by pathdoc; December 8, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old December 8, 2013, 05:28 PM   #28
balyon85

It's a pain, but in my 12ga I use a tiny screw driver to push the previous crimps in the stars down to keep all the folds down. It helps about 75percent of the time. I also use a ballistic products over the shot card, keepa those little shot balls from rolling out in the box. I'm going to order a 20ga here soon.
Old December 9, 2013, 01:19 AM   #29
skizzums

i didnt want to start a war on reload equipment, but i am goiing with the lee. i didnt know that the hulls were so specifc to load so ill try to get similar types. i see that i need to load up on 209 primers i have a few poinds of hs-6, so ill try to finds hulls that are recommended to that powder. i have a friend that loads shotshell so ill get with him before going any further, because i am very very new to shotguns. i plan to load slugs mostly since i cancsat those easilyu

thanks for trying to steer me to the right equipment, but as little as i plan to reload shotshell, i feel the lee will do everything i need it to, i just like to have the ability to reload if i need to, not planning to competively shoot or anything. i feeel i will prob be reloading less than 500 a year if that

how many reloads do you get out of a plastic hull? 2--3---more?

what are some powdres i need to look for? i see titewad to be popular, any other to look out for?
Old December 9, 2013, 08:04 AM   #30
Nathan

Off the top of my head, HS6 will be too slow for almost anything 12 ga.

Usually, target shotshells are the fastest powders available like Red Dot, e3, WST, etc.

Get the Lyman manual first. It has enough loads that you can get a good hull like the Rem STS, get a locally available primer/powder, and usually match it up to a locally available wad.

My target load platform is STS Hull, Win 209 primer, WAA12 or equiv wads. Lots of data for those with easy to find powders.

Last edited by Nathan; December 9, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:27 AM   #31
myfriendis410

In light loads of 12 ga. Clays, Red Dot etc. are correct. In slugs you will be using something like Herco or Blue Dot.

Go with the MEC; it will pay for itself and you will end up spending less time LOADING than you do SHOOTING.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:32 AM   #32
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
how many reloads do you get out of a plastic hull? 2--3---more?

what are some powdres i need to look for? i see titewad to be popular, any other to look out for?
Remington hulls should give you 10-12 reloads as long as you do not hotrod them
Titewad is an excellent powder - for LIGHT loads. If you are thinking about loading turkey loads, then you need something else. Go to the Alliant and Hodgdon websites and plug in your load size, hull, etc. and you will get the proper recipe of components. This is NOT metallic reloading and the procedures are not exactly the same, nor is the way components are treated.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:20 AM   #33
skizzums

okay, i looked at the MEC, they are like 5 times the cost of the lee, i would rather struggle a little and take more tiMe than drop that kind of cash

i dont plan to load a lot, i just like to have the option if i need too

thanks everyone, i have soMeone who is suppose to give me a good bit of shells to get started, ill wait until then to shop powders
Old December 9, 2013, 12:47 PM   #34
BigJimP

Many of us that are recommending MEC loaders...have tried other machines ...or have buddies who have tried other machines because they wanted to save a few bucks...

MEC machines are not cheap ...they're just a solid value ...they might be 5 times the cost of a Lee....but in my opinion they're at least 50 times better...

but everybody should do what they think best.../ spend their money as they see fit.../ I hope it works real well for you !
Old December 9, 2013, 03:32 PM   #35
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I use the Lanes Reloader, its a hand loader and works great. Some of the crimps come out better than others, but they still function for me. Start up cost, 35 bucks, a lot slower, but I'm not loading for speed.
How long have you had yours?
I was recommending them as a better alternative to the Lee loader, but the Lane's website disappeared a year, or so, ago.

Do you know if they're still around? Have any contact information?
Old December 9, 2013, 04:50 PM   #36
Pongo

skizzums.

If you don't intend loading many shells a Lee load-all should be fine.

When the bug really bites look at a MEC or Ponsness Warren, the latter I have (Dou-o-Matic 375). Not the fastest by any means but a good solid press, competitively priced with lots of features and if you look around you may find a good used one for under $100.

Link to Ponsness Warren:http://www.reloaders.com/index.php?m...products_id=70
Old December 9, 2013, 04:56 PM   #37
balyon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
How long have you had yours?
I was recommending them as a better alternative to the Lee loader, but the Lane's website disappeared a year, or so, ago.

Do you know if they're still around? Have any contact information?
Bought mine within the last year, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Here you go.

http://lane371.dotster.com/
Old December 9, 2013, 07:15 PM   #38
pathdoc

I bought mine this year (2013).

I just now typed "lanesreloading.com" into my browser URL window and it took me straight there. The website is basic but still seems functional.

I don't think I'll be going back to my Lane's reloader in a hurry. Next to it, the Load-All II is like the Starship Enterprise. Perhaps when the weather is warmer and I have more time and inclination to be out in the garage. And after I've bought myself an adjustable shot scoop.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:26 PM   #39
FrankenMauser

Thanks for the updated info, guys. Both of those web domains are new to me. I believe the only one I could ever find was the Canadian site (which is gone now).

Those prices and shipping rates are actually lower than the last time I was able to access the website, as well.

It seems he's all over the internet now: http://zoned.fortunecity.ws/about.html
Old December 10, 2013, 12:27 PM   #40
BigD_in_FL

A USED MEC Jr. is running about 50-75 bucks at gun clubs and on Craigs List, that is not 5 times as much but will outlast 5 Lee plastic and zinc devices