The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2000, 08:49 PM   #26
Jonathan Chenault

id would put some 000 3-inch with a super high brass load.

Old January 13, 2000, 02:06 AM   #27
Clead

My Winchester Model 12 Riot gun carries 5 #6 shells on the butt. Family uncomfortable with rds in mag and neighbors on other side of walls, so overpenetration would be BADDD.
Old January 15, 2000, 06:11 AM   #28
DOCSpanky

7 1/2 shot through my Mossy 500 with an Improved Cylinder choke in it. Pepper a door at 20 feet. Have seen someone who was on the receiving end of this combo at the local trauma center, and this will do it for me

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal

Old January 15, 2000, 07:59 AM   #29
Ice Axe

I just saw a video that bears on this question. It showed the penetrating power of slugs and buckshot through a typical fence and house.
The slugs and buckshot were fired from about 30 feet outside a 1x 6 solid pine fence toward a typical frame house. Both easily penetrated (1) the fence; (2) the front wall of the house (vinyl siding, 1/2 plywood, interior drywall); (3) two interior walls (two drywalls each on 2/4 studs); (4) the rear exterior wall (same as front); and finally (5) the simulated homeowner standing in the back yard.
The obvious message was that had the homeowner fired these shells from inside the house, family members, friends, anyone in or near his house, including close neighbors in their own homes might have been fatally hit, unless the bad guy absorbs all the energy. If so, buckshot and slugs may not be a good choice for many for home defense. Birdshot and specialized shells may be safer and sufficiently effective. Comments?
Old January 15, 2000, 04:33 PM   #30
One

Remington 870 Police w/ 7-shot tube fed with Federal L.E. 00 buck. Six Brennke sligs in a side saddle.

Be Safe
Mike
Old January 15, 2000, 04:46 PM   #31
FireForged

Mossberg 12ga 18" : #1 Buck and #4 Turkey
Old January 15, 2000, 09:36 PM   #32
AR Man

I just use 12 ga blanks! I really don't want to hurt anyone just scare them...

OK the coast is clear my wife left the room #4 buck followed by 00 buck.
Old January 18, 2000, 05:49 PM   #33
jnix

I live in Tacoma, WA. About 3 months ago my truck was broken into they stole my $700 stereo and caused $1200 damage to the truck. It was parked in my drive way under our dining room window. After this incident I got an alarm and some rocksalt shells for my 870 Marine Magnum. I keep one rocksalt shell in the chamber and six aguila high velocity OO buck shell in the mag. That way if I go popin' criminals and the rocksalt doesn't make them think twice the OO buck certainly will, you know legal reasons. Besides I don't want to pull the triger and scream oh sh** my truck has a new red paint job. ( along with the drive way, side walk, house, me )

[This message has been edited by jnix (edited January 18, 2000).]
Old January 19, 2000, 01:39 AM   #34
oberkommando

I thought Fed premium 3" 000 and 600grain Rottweil's were "tactical loads" I dont want just the first perp but the second and/or third as well. Will have to wait in the hallway with my nightvision and IR illuminator and make sure they all line up before firing.
Old January 19, 2000, 03:00 AM   #35
BigMike

Rem. 870, with Federal #1 Buck Shot.

Mike
Old January 19, 2000, 04:59 PM   #36
Bennett Richards

My 870MM 12G has 6 Fed Tac 00 up the tube and 6 Quik-Shok pre-fragmented slugs in the backhawk buttcuff

Ben
Old January 21, 2000, 04:05 PM   #37
adad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ice Axe:
...buckshot and slugs may not be a good choice for many for home defense. Birdshot and specialized shells may be safer and sufficiently effective. Comments? [/quote]

I agree about the slugs. Do you know what size buckshot was used? I suspect 00. I've read that tests of shotgun ammo show that #1 buck gives the "best" performance -- I assume this means about 13-16 inches of penetration in standard ordinance gelatin. If that's the case then #1 buck shouldn't over-penetrate any more than handgun ammo that penetrates about the same.

I have a 20 ga. and I can't find #1 buck for it, so I have #2 Federal Tac. shells.

------------------
Great daily commentary from a thoughtful Christian perspective:
http://www.str.org/cgi-local/daily_commentary.pl
A very informative, in-depth review of the book "Handgun Stopping Power":
http://www.firearmstactical.com/afte.htm

[This message has been edited by adad (edited January 22, 2000).]
Old January 21, 2000, 08:37 PM   #38
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Currently, I think I just have S&B 00. I have often loaded my Mossbergs as follows:
3" Mag #1 shot, 1.
00 S&B max dram
3" Remington mag slug, 1 or 2. (Incidentally, Spartacus put the first two rounds ever fired from my 500 parkerized GR- 3" rem mag slugs- into well-overlapping holes at 25 yards, offhand.)

My feeling is that I never want to hurt anyone. If I am forced into an untenable position, I think the #1 shot should work well at close range. If not, the following rounds will probably be directed at lower abdomen. If there is still a threat, I probably have need of some penetration, and am not at all worried about excess, because I doubt a full shoot-through in such instance.

I think the defense-minded individual should consider both likely and worst-case threats.
Old January 21, 2000, 11:11 PM   #39
Futo Inu

2 3/4" No. 4 Buckshot, plus two slugs in the sidesaddle "just in case".
Old January 21, 2000, 11:45 PM   #40
muleshoe

I keep #4 or #6 pheasant loads in my bedroom gun. I can't imagine a shot of more than 10 or 12 yards, so I don't need a lot of carry. If the perp lives and does get out of the house, I don't want him croaking in my front yard. Would have to drag him back in and all. So a nice pattern at 25 or 30 yards on his backside (or frontside if he's fool enough to turn around) should give him a whole bunch of itty bitty mighty painful reminders to stay the ____ out of my domain.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old January 25, 2000, 05:07 PM   #41
jcoyoung

Mossberg 590 w/ 4 shells in tube, chamber empty. 5 more shells under the night stand. What shells you ask? How about Winchester 3" OO buffered buck.

It sounds excessive, but only thing I have other than the 2-3/4" #9 shells I have for skeet.