The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 28, 2019, 12:58 PM   #1
AL45

Another ammo shortage?

Is anyone seeing any evidence of another ammo shortage? I was ordering ammo for the hardware store I work at and was seeing more zero quantities than normal. And they showed no powder at all. Just curious.
Old January 28, 2019, 01:05 PM   #2
stephen426

Absolutely not. Based on the pricing, there should be quite a surplus right now. Ammo got VERY tight after Sandy Hook and prices went through the roof. I recall seeing 9mm on Gun Broker for $50 a box of 50 for regular Winchester White Box. Even the lowly .22 LR was going for around $10 a box of 50. I was seriously tempted to sell some off and would have made a very tidy profit.

Manufacturers kicked production into overdrive to meet demand and I think people have finally stopped hoarding ammo. Unless I see a great deal, I just pass on ammo deals. I shoot 500-1000 rounds a month so it isn't like I'm not using my ammo.

Let's just say that I am ready in case there is another run on ammo to turn a tidy profit.
Old January 28, 2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Eazyeach

Plenty in my area. Walmart has even rolled back prices on a bunch of ammo.
Old January 28, 2019, 01:27 PM   #4
TXAZ

For the calibers I buy (.22 to .50 BMG), I'm not seeing any shortages, and certainly nothing like the Obama-era issues.

Some of the ammo, is at near record low prices.

It wouldn't surprise me though that some of the less efficient ammo mfg's are going out of business as they can't compete with thinner margins.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 28, 2019, 01:58 PM   #5
jmr40

January is usually inventory time. Lots of places don't restock until they finish doing inventory.

Winston Churchill
Old January 28, 2019, 02:29 PM   #6
berettaprofessor

Just last weekend I was looking at a large shelf unit full of umpteen types of 22LR and thinking "Boy, what would we have given for this supply of 22 ammo 3 years ago!"
Old January 28, 2019, 03:26 PM   #7
AL45

Good to hear!
Old January 28, 2019, 07:14 PM   #8
sparkyv

Not in west of Houston.
Old January 28, 2019, 08:01 PM   #9
FITASC

Where are you and where are you looking?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 28, 2019, 08:21 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Plenty to go around.
Old January 28, 2019, 10:33 PM   #11
Bubbau

Plentiful around me.
Old January 30, 2019, 05:56 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Central Arkansas seems to have plenty.

*crosses fingers so as not to jinx it
Old January 30, 2019, 10:01 AM   #13
AzShooter

I see a lot of ammo in the stores. I buy all of mine on-line and have gotten some really good prices. .22s for only $.03 a round for Blazer. That's my go to practice ammo. At Christmas time I was able to pick up Eley for a great price and bought a case.

Even .38s are coming down in price.
Old January 30, 2019, 12:32 PM   #14
lamarw

I recently placed an order for powder and primers. There was no issue. I reload for most everything I shoot.

I don't have any idea of store availability of ammunition. I also don't have to pay tax on the ammunition I make/shoot.
Old January 30, 2019, 02:03 PM   #15
DaleA

I've noticed when the price of .223/5.56 is advertised at less than $6 per box of 20 rounds unless I get there the first day of the sale they are sold out. But there is plenty of it at higher prices and plenty of .22LR if you're willing to pay for it and plenty of $10 per box of 50 rounds 9mm if you look around a little. So no 'real' ammo shortage, just, IMhO, savy shoppers.
Old January 31, 2019, 06:07 AM   #16
shurshot

When I see TONS of .22's for sale at Walmart and Cabelas, that's a good indication there is no shortage. Buy now.
Old January 31, 2019, 11:42 AM   #17
CerberusRagnar

My local stores had more ammo this week than I have ever seen there. Prices seem reasonable in stores and even low online. Good time to buy ammo.
Old January 31, 2019, 11:48 AM   #18
Charlie98

Ammos are plentiful, as are most reloading components (except IMR/H4350...) The only thing I have seen is primers; there are enough primers out there, but there are some specific primers that have dried up.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old February 2, 2019, 06:25 PM   #19
M88

Actually here in Northeast... seems quite the opposite. Prices seem to get better every email I get from many suppliers.
Old February 2, 2019, 06:41 PM   #20
ms6852

Ammo is in abundance and prices are low. You can get good deals on many calibers and brands here:http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/.22+LR
Old February 2, 2019, 08:56 PM   #21
TruthTellers

Ammo is as cheap as it's been since pre-Sandy Hook. Idk how long it's going to stay that way, given the political pendulum is swinging back to the other side and there's not a major recession occurring, I'd buy ammo now.

Not now as in this minute, but this year definitely. Plan out what you feel you need and what you want, buy over time, hit the sales, use them coupon codes. Every time I see Brownell's with a sale on CCI Standard Velocity and a free shipping offer, I buy two bricks. Federal has a rebate on centerfire handgun ammo, $2 off a box if you buy five 50 rd boxes. Great, I could use some more of their American Eagle .327 to feed my Henry.

9mm is available, unlike all of 2013... get some now. I've been planning a purchase of Winchester White 115 JHP for a while, I'm just waiting for a sale from somebody. One's gonna come eventually.

Ammo is that one thing you have to buy when it's there because it's not gonna last and it's not reusable like a high capacity magazine. I'm kicking myself over not getting any of those Blazer "Black Packs" from Black Friday last year.
Old February 2, 2019, 09:55 PM   #22
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Ammo is as cheap as it's been since pre-Sandy Hook. Idk how long it's going to stay that way, given the political pendulum is swinging back to the other side and there's not a major recession occurring, I'd buy ammo now.

Not now as in this minute, but this year definitely. Plan out what you feel you need and what you want, buy over time, hit the sales, use them coupon codes. Every time I see Brownell's with a sale on CCI Standard Velocity and a free shipping offer, I buy two bricks. Federal has a rebate on centerfire handgun ammo, $2 off a box if you buy five 50 rd boxes. Great, I could use some more of their American Eagle .327 to feed my Henry.

9mm is available, unlike all of 2013... get some now. I've been planning a purchase of Winchester White 115 JHP for a while, I'm just waiting for a sale from somebody. One's gonna come eventually.

Ammo is that one thing you have to buy when it's there because it's not gonna last and it's not reusable like a high capacity magazine. I'm kicking myself over not getting any of those Blazer "Black Packs" from Black Friday last year.
Buying ammo now is definitely the way to go. I made it a habit of buying ammo every pay period for years and had I not done this I would have been up a creek without a paddle during the 8 years O'bama was in office. Luckily I had enough to last through the administration without having to buy at the exorbitant prices the gougers were charging.
Buying every pay period allowed me to maintain my shooting skills on a weekly basis. Now with this new administration the prices will be short lived (my opinion) so I am stocking up for a nuclear winter, call it hoarding if you want but I just call it smart.
Old February 3, 2019, 03:25 AM   #23
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Buying ammo now is definitely the way to go. I made it a habit of buying ammo every pay period for years and had I not done this I would have been up a creek without a paddle during the 8 years O'bama was in office. Luckily I had enough to last through the administration without having to buy at the exorbitant prices the gougers were charging.
Buying every pay period allowed me to maintain my shooting skills on a weekly basis. Now with this new administration the prices will be short lived (my opinion) so I am stocking up for a nuclear winter, call it hoarding if you want but I just call it smart.
When it comes to .22, 9mm, 5.56... I don't think that word has a meaning after what we saw for a few years. If all people did was buy ammo after Sandy Hook, yet no new laws came nationally, then all they'll do in the future when such laws become reality is the same thing.

We can't make our own rimfire ammo, so no reason not to own less than 10k rounds other than financial inability.

Centerfire is different, we can reload our own. A time consuming, yet rewarding process. I say even if you don't reload that often, I do it about 6 times a year, at least have the equipment to do it in the event you have no other choice.
Old February 3, 2019, 03:38 AM   #24
ms6852

I reload all my centerfire stuff and collect 5 gal buckets of brass for ever caliber I own, what I do buy in abundance is the rimfire ammo as this is the ammo that I use to practice my off hand shooting at 200 yards for deer season as well as my weekly weak hand shooting practice. Luckily I had stored enough to help out some shooting clubs and my friends kids and any father that had taken the child to shoot for the first time. All this at no cost to anyone but me.
Old February 3, 2019, 10:18 AM   #25
Bozz10mm

Quote:
Is anyone seeing any evidence of another ammo shortage?
For me it's just the opposite. I've seen more ammo availability lately than any time in the past 5 years. One caveat, I do all my ammo purchasing on line, so I really haven't checked the LGSs in a while.