The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2010, 01:40 PM   #1
mrawesome22

Norma 22-250Rem Brass

Anyone have experience with this cartridge brass? I know Norma is praised for being great and I'm not a target shooter. But I've also read that Norma will be able to handle many more reloads than say Winchester. A lot of my brass' primer pockets are starting to get loose, and to be honest, Norma is the ONLY thing anyone has in stock right now. So should I go ahead and buy 100 pieces for $120?

EDIT: I'd rather buy Nosler. If anyone knows where there is some in stock it would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 18, 2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I have a lot of Norma in 6.5-284, and dimensionally it seems to be as good as Lapua. But you will likely find the case capacity is different from the Winchester, so your load will change. An old rule of thumb is that if primer pockets are loose within 5 loads or fewer, you're running at pressure too high for the brass head.

I can't say the Norma brass I have has given any indication of being any harder than Winchester, though Winchester has gone to that semi-balloon head deign in a lot of their cases and that may not do as well with primer pocket stretch in your gun? You're just going to have to give it a try to see how it compares?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 18, 2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Jobfix

Norma Brass...

I have fire-formed Norma Brass for 22-250 Ackley Improved, it has worked well for 10+yrs., the rifle has a .252" neck so I'm not working this brass very hard. "Lapua" is another quality brass that I use for 243 Ackley, have been loading this for approximately 15 yrs. Norma should give you good performance...
"O'B"
Old February 18, 2010, 03:03 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Unclenick, those Win cases have probably been loaded around 15 times so they gave me my money's worth to me I'd say. I realize case capacity is gonna change as well. But hopefully I'll be able to find a good load again and stick with it. Do you guys know if the flash holes will need prep, or are they "ready to load and shoot?"

Thanks guys.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The Norma I have came without flash hole burrs. Lapua usually doesn't, either, but I recall some burrs began to appear in some lots of .308 at one point. Lapua fixed that subsequently. But I guess there is no guarantee. You'll just have to get out the flashlight and look?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 18, 2010, 04:10 PM   #6
mrawesome22

Thank you. Yeah, guess I'll just have to buy them and hopefully it will be worth it in the long run.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:35 PM   #7
James R. Burke

I never used it, but switched to Laupa a few years ago. I love it. So far I never went thru a case they been great. Not saying you cannot get others to work just has good but I really like Laupa.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:30 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Midway says they'll have Lapua 22-250 on 3/26/2010. I'll believe that when I see it LOL. It's about $40 cheaper than the Norma as well. But I ordered the Norma a couple hours ago and I'll let you all know how they load and shoot.