The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2018, 04:15 PM   #1
Sneakerh3ad

What exactly do i need for reloading on Lee Classic Turret Press?

Hi i'm new to reloading and considered reloading on a progressive press, but decided to go with the Lee Classic turret press. Can someone please instruct me on exactly what is needed, so far i know i need a:
1. Lee Precision Classic Turret Press
2. Lee Precision 4 Hole Turret
3. empty brass
4. powder
5. primer
6. scale
Old June 2, 2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Real Gun

You will need a "riser" for the powder measure to raise it above the primer dispenser. Plan on a separate turret for each cartridge you load so you exploit the quick change capability and preserve the die settings. You should have at least one adjustable charge bar as an option in your powder settings. It has a limited range though, so very small or large charges won't work. Large charges would mean you would want to order the double disk kit.
Old June 2, 2018, 05:22 PM   #3
konstan

The absolute minimum you will need is

Equipment

- press
- scale
- dies

Supplies

- brass
- primers
- powder
- projectiles

If you have these covered, with some thought and care you should be able to load a straight wall pistol cartridge.
Old June 2, 2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Bimus

Lee reloading manual would be best for your lee press and for back up speer- lyman or
Hornady manuals.
Old June 2, 2018, 06:15 PM   #5
DaleA

Well, I am an unapologetic RCBS fan.
I am ABSOLUTELY an advocate of 'buy once, cry once'...that is, spend your money and get a quality product. So with that in mind.

1. This manual may be outdated but it's a classic and I still see people recommending it. Get 'The ABC's of Reloading' and then the reloading manual of your choice depending on the powder or bullets you plan to use:
https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloadin...=abc+reloading

2. Scale: Get this one and you'll never have to worry about batteries, electricity or EMP end-of-the-world stuff.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...l-powder-scale

3. I like this powder measure but get some advice on whether or not it will work with your Lee Turret press.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/49...powder-measure

4. Case cleaner. This one will do. (For many years I used a rag and lighter fluid but there's no reason you have to be dumb about it.)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...mbler-110-volt

5. Get a bullet puller right away if not sooner. Having one around is cheap insurance that you'll never need it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/30...-bullet-puller

Have fun.
P.S. Sure RCBS makes a nice bullet puller in every way as good as the Hornady but the Hornady was $3 cheaper and despite everything I said above $3 is $3.
If you want you can check all the pullers out here.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=48
Old June 2, 2018, 07:08 PM   #6
FITASC

Add a manual and bullets.....calipers and dies
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 2, 2018, 11:03 PM   #7
kmw1954

I will expand konstan's list for equipment.

calipers
funnel and powder dippers
Kinetic bullet puller
manuals

With these and the previous mentioned tools you can easily get started. You don't need a powder drop measure to get started. You don't even need a powder trickler for that matter. And you can even get started w/o the Safety primer feeder.
Old June 2, 2018, 11:15 PM   #8
kmw1954

Sneakerh3ad,

Would like to add a thought and suggestion. If you have not purchased any supplies yet I suggest getting that manual and look for a load that looks like it interests you and what you want to accomplish. Which bullet, which primers and what powder. Then go purchase those components that match those used in the recipe. That way you will know those components will work together. Start with a KISS in mind. After you have a few hundred under your belt then look to expand to other loads.

Good luck and post back some results!
Old June 3, 2018, 07:36 AM   #9
Crunchy Frog

I think the Lee Classic Turret is a great choice for loading handgun cartridges. The press will come with one turret. You can buy extras if you like and and have one for each cartridge.

For each cartridge you will need dies and a shellholder. If you purchase Lee dies a shareholder is included. The Lee dies also include a powder through expander die that will allow you to add on a Lee Auto Disc or Lee Auto Drum powder measure. Add a riser if you do. If you want to start on a budget wait on the powder measure and buy a Lee Powder funnel and a powder dipper set.

The Lee Safety Prime speeds up the priming operation but you can add that later.
Old June 3, 2018, 08:03 AM   #10
Road_Clam

Dial Calipers are really a must have first item.
Old June 3, 2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Real Gun

I can't agree with some of the advice given. As a turret user, I would say that the productivity won't be there without the powder measure, which is only $30-40. If you don't prime on the press with the auto-prime, you will have to handle cases one more time than necessary. I would not listen to those who suggest routinely running the press without the indexing rod. That could have its place but does not exploit the full capability of the press, when doing multiple operations around the turret.

If you do load primed brass, done separately, take the decapping rod out of the sizer die.

I don't think it is really useful to go for the absolute minimum to be able to reload. That would get old fast, and with Lee, adding capabilities is not expensive.

My turret includes all the goodies from Inline Fabrications, so check them out for Lee offerings. I have a high mount, an ergo handle, a finished round ejector, a light strip, swing away bin mount, stationary bin mount, and bin plate. I also have a large flexlight to aim into the case mouth to verify powder charges before placing a bullet for seating.

While you are at it, if purchasing lead bullets, get what you need from Lee to do resizing in calibers as necessary, because the bullets are often larger in diameter than labeled and larger than the dies expect for ammo that will chamber freely.
Old June 3, 2018, 09:36 AM   #12
kmw1954

Real Gun the question was, What is needed for reloading on a turret press. Not what is needed to make it run as fast as it can.

So the answers whether you agree with them or not are correct. Those things listed are the bare minimum needed to reload with any press. From there you can add and spend until you are financially broke in the pursuit of this hobby.

I read the question as what is it I need to get started not what makes it run best or faster. Now again you may have read it exactly the opposite way.
Old June 3, 2018, 10:12 AM   #13
Real Gun

No, I meant going halfway is very much like getting a single stage and thinking you are equipped to do hundreds of rounds a month. You aren't, which I think most would decide quickly.

As far as addressing the actual question, I think we always have to examine the premise before we launch.
Old June 3, 2018, 10:19 AM   #14
kmw1954

Agree but we still both read the question 2 different ways as I believe others have as well..

The OP starts out the question with, I'm new, so from there the question to me becomes what do I need to get started not what do I need to complete the setup and make as many as possible.. To me the guy just wants to get started and he just happened to chose a turret press to do it with..
Old June 3, 2018, 11:10 AM   #15
Real Gun

The OP never said he was looking for the bare minimum.
Old June 3, 2018, 11:21 AM   #16
kmw1954

Well after all this the OP never stated whether he is loading straight walled pistol cases or Bottleneck rifle either which would make a difference. But no one bothered to ask that either.
Old June 3, 2018, 11:43 AM   #17
Metal god

Sure I'll jump into the middle of this haha . Once you get past the components you "need" EVERYTHING else is just opinion . The OP used the word "need" so I to took that to mean , what does he need to get started . Even then there is some things one guy will think is needed while another will not . The fact he has the type of press picked out means we can narrow the suggestions a bit .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OP
3. empty brass
4. powder
5. primer
6. scale
I'd add to the needed category

Manual
Note pad/log book
Priming tool , if not using the press mounted design
Calipers
Funnel
Bullet puller
Case holder , ( depending on the dies you buy , Lee dies come with them most others do not )
Loading tray
Case trimmer , if loading rifle cartridges not so much if straight walled handgun cartridges .
Case lube , dependent on the dies and cartridge loading .

Things not needed but surely helpful

More manuals
Powder measure
powder trickler
Case gauge
More loading trays
Ammo boxes
Chronograph
Targets

That's all I got off the top of my head .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; June 3, 2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old June 3, 2018, 12:09 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

Go here. https://leeprecision.com/instructions.html
Down load and read the entire manual for the press(TP1245). Plus whatever powder thrower you buy. Assuming you buy a Lee thrower.
Have a look at what comes with the Classic Turret press kit. Tell you what you need if you didn't buy the kit. https://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/turret-press/
You will require a load manual too. Lee's will do, but they test nothing themselves. They use the powder maker's data. That doesn't mean it's no good.
Best manual is the Lyman one though. It's far more versatile than any powder or bullet maker's book. Read the whole thing. The reference chapters are a good read(written in English not Reloaderese.) all by themselves. Tell you technical stuff about powders and reloading not found elsewhere.
Old June 3, 2018, 12:24 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Sneakerh3ad,

Did you read the equipment basics sticky thread at the top of this forum?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 3, 2018, 01:43 PM   #20
jetinteriorguy

With the equipment list you have provided you can load. A scale to weigh each charge is a good way to start for both safety and accuracy, but it won't be long before you need a powder measure to speed this process up. You can prime,on the press by just putting primers in the priming cup one at a time. Once again a good safe sure way to do it, but you'll pretty soon want to go a little faster and my suggestion is a hand held priming tool. I prefer this priming method for the turret press because I get a better feel for proper seating of the primer and I can just do it while watching tv. So IMO these two tools are eventually essential but can wait while your starting to learn the process.
Old June 3, 2018, 01:59 PM   #21
Sneakerh3ad

thank you everyone for your advice, let me clarify by stating that I am looking to reload both pistol and rifle rounds. I was not looking for a bare minimum setup as money or time is not an issue. But more of a turret press setup that works for you. No right and wrong answer, i am learning from every reply.
Old June 3, 2018, 03:07 PM   #22
kmw1954

Sneakerh3ad, thank you for the clarification.

Knowing this I would add the Safety prime system. The white colored one is the most recent with improvements. The Lee Auto Disk and Drum measures are great values for the money and work very well for everyone I've talked with. The Drum will work better with the larger cases while I believe the Disk works better for fine pistol powders. Extra turrets as needed for dies.

I do not load for rifles but you will need case lube and at some time a case trimmer for rifle. A dial caliper for sure and a 0-1" mic would also be handy. I would also look for a gooseneck desk light. They are cheap and really are helpful.
Old June 3, 2018, 05:17 PM   #23
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerh3ad View Post
Hi i'm new to reloading and considered reloading on a progressive press, but decided to go with the Lee Classic turret press. Can someone please instruct me on exactly what is needed, so far i know i need a:
3. empty brass
4. powder
5. primer
6. scale
In addition to what you mention, powder measure, basic scale, riser for the powder measure, and Lee Safety Prime.

Look to get a Lee Classic Turret Kit plus Lee 4 die set of choice. That, plus consumables, covers pretty much everything.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 4, 2018, 06:19 PM   #24
std7mag

Extra turrets !!!!

For all the other calibers you will reload after you've done one!!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...