The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 30, 2019, 03:02 PM   #1
DaleA

Chicago---Guns get CHEAPER there?

/sarcasm on
I’ve just been subjected to a lecture where I found out that guns are being bought in Indiana and driven to Chicago where these cheap guns flood the inner city.

So perhaps the membership here can enlighten me.

Is there something in the space/time continuum between Indiana and Illinois were a firearm drops in value as it’s driven cross country? I mean how does a $400 Glock in Indiana become a $50 handgun in the inner city of Chicago?

Does this apply to other goods like food, cell phones, TVs or is it just guns?

How do physicists explain this?

How do economists?

Could we somehow use this phenomenon to lower the national debt? (Picture a heavily guarded armored truck with the national debt paperwork in it inching its way from Indiana to Chicago and every mile the debt is reduced by some percentage!!!)

Maybe, just like there was a “Johnny Appleseed” years ago, there is a “Johnny Firearms” taking the financial loss and spreading cheap firearms in the inner cities of the US.

Maybe it’s firearms “missionaries” spreading the “good news of guns” and using the money provided by their backers to flood the inner cities with firearms. (Ever notice the “inner cities” get “flooded” a lot? And with a lot of different stuff, guns, drugs, junk food etc.?)

Maybe it’s some kind of clever economic/marketing deal where these entrepreneurs lose money on each individual gun sale but make it back (and more!) on VOLUMN?

/sarcasm off

I am really, really getting tired of the half-truths, distortions and outright lies being put out there by the anti-gun crowd.

P.S. We're cold here in the Twin Cities and I just might have a little too much time on my hands.
Old January 30, 2019, 03:09 PM   #2
TXAZ

Welcome to discussions / arguments with anti's-. The truth is often irrelevant.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 30, 2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

The price is a thing that goes up (or down), I guess.

Was there a presentation of the type of gun? I do remember vaguely that there was a legit case of some gun stores selling lots of cheap Lorcin types that were clearly straw men.

They could be talking about this. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...026-story.html

It's well known that there are a small number of bad apple retailers.
Old January 30, 2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Old 454

I spoke to a local gun dealer about nearly the same thing. (I live in NW Indiana)

It's no some much guns going to Illinois.
It's people purchasing cheap guns that get resold on the streets in Chicago that send up red flags.
So buying that cheap diamond back or Jimenez and the selling it for more on the streets is the problem
Old January 30, 2019, 09:03 PM   #5
TXAZ

Would it be fair to say that most of the crimes where an illegal gun is used, that that gun isn't a new Sig, HK, Kimber or new Colt Pythons?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 30, 2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Mike38

The anti's used the words "bought in Indiana" when in reality it's "stolen in Indiana". Conventional wisdom is sorely lacking in the anti gun crowd. Even a criminal is smart enough to know you won't last long buying something for $500 then reselling it for less.
Old February 2, 2019, 01:43 PM   #7
kenny53

Love the sarcasm. But I would tend to believe most of the $50 Glocks are a little on the hot side. So a Glock that cost you nothing, $50 is a good profit margin. I am not sure I would be willing to do business with a back alley gun dealer in Chicago even for $50 Glock, Sig, Kimber.
Old February 2, 2019, 01:58 PM   #8
JERRYS.

deleted by author.
Old February 2, 2019, 06:13 PM   #9
M88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny53
Love the sarcasm. But I would tend to believe most of the $50 Glocks are a little on the hot side. So a Glock that cost you nothing, $50 is a good profit margin.
This was my first thought... the person selling the guns he/she got for nothing (stolen?) or a great deal from another criminal just unloading guns, only cares that he is getting more money than he acquired them for. He/she isn't concerned that the gun is "worth" much more... only concern is he/she has some money in the pocket for the merchandise then and there.
Old February 3, 2019, 09:02 AM   #10
TomNJVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E Meyer
Per this article, nearly 25% of guns used in Chicago crimes were purchased from licensed gun shops?! That is a shocking figure - I had no idea straw purchases were that high. The owner featured in the article swears every sale they make is legal and they take efforts to watch for straw purchases, but how can they tell what a legal buyer is going to do with the gun when he leaves the store. How does a shop owner prevent straw purchases?
Old February 3, 2019, 09:13 AM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
Is there something in the space/time continuum between Indiana and Illinois were a firearm drops in value as it’s driven cross country? I mean how does a $400 Glock in Indiana become a $50 handgun in the inner city of Chicago?
After you murder somebody with a handgun I hear that effects it’s resale value....just sayin’

Quote:
Per this article, nearly 25% of guns used in Chicago crimes were purchased from licensed gun shops?!
Well, since all all current production legally purchased civilian owned guns have gone through a gun store transaction, I find this number low. I wonder if many guns in the hands of Chicago thugs come from international arms dealers? Or is this number influenced by them only having access to Illinois gun purchase data?

I point these things out because when ever a gun is involved, often a lie is too.
Old February 3, 2019, 12:13 PM   #12
TomNJVA

I believe the authorities judged them to be straw purchases due to the short "time to crime" from the purchase to the use in a crime.
Old February 4, 2019, 09:58 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I mean how does a $400 Glock in Indiana become a $50 handgun in the inner city of Chicago?
#1 Easy, because it is illegal there, so one can only get what the black market will bring.
Quote:
Per this article, nearly 25% of guns used in Chicago crimes were purchased from licensed gun shops?! That is a shocking figure -...
#2 Why is that number shocking? EVERY gun is originally "purchased from a licensed gun shop". Actually the shocking thing isn't that they claim 25%, its that they don't claim 100%... or, maybe the 25% only applies to guns sold in Indiana, the other 75% coming from other locations??

Any data on if those guns "sold by FFL dealers in Indiana" were stolen in Indiana before getting to Chicago? Or if any of them had been sold by the original purchaser, or resold a half dozen times, before winding up in the hands of someone BREAKING THE LAW by selling them in Chicago??

I doubt it, all those transfers would be "off the books", (aka black market) so there's no records to gather to draw data from. They can only get away with twisting data that exists, it too easy to catch them lying when they make up data that doesn't exist outside their own fantasies.

Before you drink the Kool-Aid and believe that the gun problem in Chicago, or New York City is because guns are legally sold in OTHER STATES, take a moment to reflect on the fact of how seldom all these studies and reports fail to remind us that AFTER the legal sale in Indiana or elsewhere, that bringing the gun into Chicago and selling it breaks both Federal and state laws.
Old February 5, 2019, 10:37 AM   #14
TomNJVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Before you drink the Kool-Aid and believe that the gun problem in Chicago, or New York City is because guns are legally sold in OTHER STATES, take a moment to reflect on the fact of how seldom all these studies and reports fail to remind us that AFTER the legal sale in Indiana or elsewhere, that bringing the gun into Chicago and selling it breaks both Federal and state laws.
Well if existing Federal and state laws can't stop it, clearly we need more laws!
Old March 5, 2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Snuffy308

No, we just need to enforce the laws we have which we clearly don't. Straw purchases are rarely prosecuted would be my guess. Even the straw purchase that was made with the gun that killed the porter patrol agent a few years ago. Was it prosecuted?
Old March 5, 2019, 09:16 AM   #16
Wallyl

I recall a radio program, with a high ranking Chicago Police official stating that Chicago doesn't have a gun problem; Chicago has a gang problem. The politicians are well aware of this but in an effort to want to do something, they push gun laws and regulations. Eliminate the gangs and the gun problem will go away. This is akin to a rodent droppings....get rid of the rodents and there are no more droppings. So why are there gangs----no fathers in the household and drugs. It is not a poverty issue; in other places people in such a state have done what it takes to get themselves out of such a state. It isn't easy, but it can be done.