The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2011, 07:46 AM   #1
castnblast

RL17

I'm noticing about a +or- 200 fps increase in velocity over my current loading according to Alliant's online data. Is anyone using this powder and have you found any increases in velocity over other powders? I'm looking at using it in 243 and 270 and 7mm rem mag my quest to find one powder for the 3 guns. I'm shooting 85's and 100's in the 243, 130 in 270 (data shows that the starting weight for 150 is same velocity that I'm getting with my current load of H4350 in 130) and 145 BTSP in 7mm rem mag.

Any experiences would be helpfull. We do a lot of long range shooting so trajectory and accuracy are key
Old November 6, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
old roper

I've had good luck with R-17 and I sure didn't start using because of the gain it was suppose to get. I'll get my accuracy load first then chronograph and I'm more concerned getting published velocity from a manual data.
Old November 6, 2011, 05:19 PM   #3
PawPaw

I haven't tried any RL17, although I use the powders around it, RL15 and RL19. I've also been experimenting with Power Pro 2000 MR. Great powder. I'm told that RL17 us real close to the burn rate of H4350.

One caution while using the Alliant website. I'm not convinced that they are giving max loads, simply recipes that they've found seem to work well with the powder. They give the bullet, the charge weight and the recorded velocity, but I don't notice pressure levels, nor starting loads. Interesting.

I use Alliant powder in a lot of loads, from pistol to heavy rifle, and I've learned to use their web data, which honestly seems to be an afterthought to them. I wish that they'd adopt an approach that was more like Hodgdon's data.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 7, 2011, 04:40 PM   #4
castnblast

Thanks for the info Dennis that was very helpful. I have some test loads worked up - I like hodgdons site better as well and have been using their powders because of ease of finding data. I have reload manuals for reference but none are as inclusive as the hodgdon site.

And yes I reload for accuracy first but I look for a powder that is capable of producing the best velocity for the bullet I am loading. With one exception I have always been able to find an accuracy round in an optimum velocity powder.
Old November 7, 2011, 06:52 PM   #5
old roper

castnblast, I think I answer your question but I'm sure you have looked at the latest Speer's manual it was published 2010. They have load for the 243/270 and 7mag using R-17 and you can compare that to your own data for the above rifles and see if there is any gain.
Old November 8, 2011, 08:14 AM   #6
castnblast

Sure did that is what led me to try RL17. I was currios if the additional velocity was resulting. Anyway I have more bullets coming from midway any day now and will be working up my 7 mag and 270 recipes. Based on the data I should see a 200-250 gps increase on the 270 an about the same on 7 mag. We'll see. I'm most interested in accuracy, so I'll get my accuracy round then chrono it to see what the results are. I'll post em up next week. Going hunting this weekend - taking my 8 year old sniper in training deer/hog hunting!
Old November 8, 2011, 10:56 AM   #7
castnblast

Sure did that is what led me to try RL17. I was currios if the additional velocity was resulting. Anyway I have more bullets coming from midway any day now and will be working up my 7 mag and 270 recipes. Based on the data I should see a 200-250 gps increase on the 270 an about the same on 7 mag. We'll see. I'm most interested in accuracy, so I'll get my accuracy round then chrono it to see what the results are. I'll post em up next week. Going hunting this weekend - taking my 8 year old sniper in training deer/hog hunting!