The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 24, 2010, 04:33 AM   #1
celtgun

Romanian SAR 3 Question

Friend has Romanian SAR3, AK style rifle chambered in 5.56x45/.223. Muzzle is threaded, anyone know what size/pitch it is? Where I can find a threaded protector for it. I assume it had a flash suppressor of some type on it.
Appears to be somewhat bent, may need to trim off end of barrell. Appears to be chrome lined, how will this effect a crown tool as far as damaging the tool.
Also where is source for magazines for this rifle?

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Old Indian Saying Via Jeff Cooper
Old September 24, 2010, 06:28 AM   #2
7jinxed7

I just ran across these arsenal mags that are suppose to work. I haven't used any so I don't know if their good or not.I didn't even know these were available till now.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=922148

I have a SAR-3 and I have a difficult time finding metal original mags. When you can find them most people are wanting about $30.00 these days. Now someone will chime in and tell you they use to get them for $10.00 ,$15.00 key word use to ,but good luck. If your luckyenough to get them for that its a score. You have to keep an eye out on gunbroker,forums and other online sources,just be patient. German Weiger mags fit and Romanian mags fit. Alot of people claim the bakelite mags fit but their a modified 5.45 mag thats not very reliable in my opinion. Some people have had luck with them,i'm not one. I happen to get lucky one day when a member on http://theakforum.net/ offered to sell me half a dozen. i found two more on www.apexgunparts.com and one more on another small sight.

The photo is a bakelite with a black band which is suppose to represent a modified mag. The middle is a Weiger mag notice the grooves go all the way down and a smooth finish. The right is a Romanian grooves do not go all the way down and typically have a rougher sloppier finish.

Sorry don't know anything about the threads. If no one hear helps you with it try theakforum.

Last edited by 7jinxed7; September 24, 2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old September 24, 2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The muzzle should be threaded with the standard AK thread of 14mm X 1.0 Left hand threads.
Most any standard AK muzzle attachment should fit.

The chrome lining shouldn't affect a good crowning tool, but I doubt the muzzle is actually bent.
Before doing anything, I'd shoot the rifle. Remember, the AK is not a target rifle. Groups at 100 yards will usually be no better than 3" to 4".