The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2024, 01:31 AM   #1
Mike P. Wagner

New 9mm: CZ 75 P01, Beretta Px4 Full Size, or Springfield EMP?

I have finally started making it to the range spot COVID, and right now I have an FN FiveSeven Mark II and and Armalite AR-24C - a Sarsilmaz Tangfolio CZ 75 clone that Armalite imported in the early 2000s.

I think that I have decided to sell the FiveSeven - ammo is just too dang expensive - even post COVID buying bulk is $0.50/round. It also has not been super reliable.

I expect that I will get $650 - $750 for the FiveSeven, 5 20 round mags and a Kramer leather OWB hoslter/dual mag pouch. Mayne that is optimistic.

If I do, I think that I will get another 9mm. I really like the way the Armalite AR-24C (in this case, the C is for "tactical", the compact model was a "K") sits in my hand - but no parts are available. I recently tried to get a fiber optic front site and no one has one that will fit.

I also get a bit of trigger sting from the Armalite AR-24 when I fire it in DA mode.

Last week at the range, I rented a Baretta PX4 Compact, and I liked shooting that pretty much. I certainly shot it as well as I shoot the AR-24.

I also plan to rent a Springfield EMP before I make a decision. I rented a 1911 in 45 years ago, and was underwhelmed. I had expected to really like a 1911, but I think that a high end 1911 - maybe after a bunch of tinkering - can be an incredible gun - but the one I rented was not.

My uses for the gun will be mostly home defense and range shooting.

The only time/place I can imagine carrying would be at synagogue each week - where it would be concealed, but not deep concealment. I could see an OWB holster under a suit jacket would be fine. I don't care if my friends at shul know that I am carrying. Open carry is legal in my state, and I would get a CCW if it came to that.

So I think size/weigth does not matter all that much - I don't see myself carrying every day - or to places where I don't know almost everyone by sight.

Part of me says, go with a CZ 75 P01 more or less as an updated AR-24 that i can actually get parts and accessories for, part of me says go for thoroughly modern gun like the polymer rotary action PX4, and I held a Springfield EMP as the rental counter last week, and was surprised how slim it was and how good it felt in my hand.

What do people think the trade offs are between these pistols?

I realize these three are all very different, so I have not been able to find many comparison YouTube videos or articles.
Old March 26, 2024, 04:28 AM   #2
PatientWolf

For me, of the choices you mention, the CZ P-01 would be a no-brainer, but I’m not sure why you get “trigger sting”.

The PX4 has a reputation as a soft shooter, but I can’t get past the safety that works opposite what I am used to.

I wouldn’t want to complicate things further, but you may also want to consider the CZ P07 and the Heckler Koch P30.
Old March 26, 2024, 05:40 AM   #3
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
The PX4 has a reputation as a soft shooter, but I can’t get past the safety that works opposite what I am used to.
Very easy to convert to decock only.
Old March 26, 2024, 06:11 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

I can’t offer a comparison but you can’t go wrong with a CZ.
Old March 26, 2024, 12:55 PM   #5
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I can’t offer a comparison but you can’t go wrong with a CZ.
My only issue with a CZ is that the slide is too small to grab. Because of this, I'm unable to chamber a bullet into the barrel consistently 100% of the time, unless I set the slide stop button first and then release the button quickly. If I do it slowly without engaging the slide stop, it will jam 100% of the time. I think this chamber's mechanism can be improved. It should not get stuck so easily.
Old March 26, 2024, 01:07 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

Haha, you're kinda picking up the odd balls.
Old March 26, 2024, 01:11 PM   #7
5whiskey

Quote:
My only issue with a CZ is that the slide is too small to grab. Because of this, I'm unable to chamber a bullet into the barrel consistently 100% of the time, unless I set the slide stop button first and then release the button quickly. If I do it slowly without engaging the slide stop, it will jam 100% of the time. I think this chamber's mechanism can be improved. It should not get stuck so easily.
No pistol, modern or not, should be chambered by riding the slide home while loading. Riding the slide home while chambering will choke up a lot of handguns, even the venerable Glock. Admittedly most handguns can be remedied by simply tapping the back of the slide. But letting the slide go like a slingshot (or pressing the slide release lever while it is locked to the rear) is the correct way to load.

OP, it's hard to go wrong with the Beretta or the CZ. Admittedly, you do have a CZ clone so that box is kinda already checked (halfway, sorta). I never cared much for the PX4, but don't doubt it's a fabulous pistol. I am also a fan of 1911s, and Springfields are usually serviceable enough in quality. I dunno, shooters choice. If any of those pistols did manage to be finicky, it would most likely be the 1911 (though I believe everyone should own at least one, and they are generally very reliable). Food for thought though.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Last edited by 5whiskey; March 26, 2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old March 26, 2024, 01:33 PM   #8
liv4spd

"But letting the slide go like a slingshot (or pressing the slide release lever while it is locked to the rear) is the correct way to load."

Unfortunately, even by doing so, my P-01 will get stuck 25% of the time. Not sure if it is due to the snap caps (like the real bullets with brass sleeves and the same weight) I'm using, but the bullets can get stuck in a way, no matter how much force the spring has, it won't chamber the bullet correctly.
Old March 26, 2024, 01:35 PM   #9
wild cat mccane

Plunk test your rounds on the P01 and see what you have.

RSA is next up.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; March 26, 2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old March 26, 2024, 02:19 PM   #10
5whiskey

Quote:
Unfortunately, even by doing so, my P-01 will get stuck 25% of the time. Not sure if it is due to the snap caps (like the real bullets with brass sleeves and the same weight) I'm using, but the bullets can get stuck in a way, no matter how much force the spring has, it won't chamber the bullet correctly.
Does it chamber 100% when releasing the slide stop lever while it's locked to the rear? If so, there is enough force on the recoil spring and you are, in fact, riding the slide forward some while chambering.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 26, 2024, 02:35 PM   #11
Mike P. Wagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
I have never gotten into the habit of riding the slide forward - I have never seen this on my AR-24 - which has the same slide inside the rails geometry as a CZ 75x
Old March 26, 2024, 05:02 PM   #12
PatientWolf

Quote:
If you like CZ, but find the P-01 slide too small to grip, I’d again suggest the P-07. I find there’s a little more real estate to get hold of.
Old March 26, 2024, 05:23 PM   #13
wild cat mccane

Might you be looking for suggestions? Are you looking for something specific?

For example, CZ in the non comp oriented SP01+ versions have awful triggers, possibly the worst.

If you like hammered fired compact, the Sig P229 has one of the best triggers you can get. It's a few hundred more than the P01, but well worth it. That hundreds extra includes night sights. So a "Nitron" P229 with contrast sights is even closer to a P01.

While the P01 would make you think on paper it's not snappy, I find mine is very snappy.
Old March 26, 2024, 05:32 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

Others can correct me, but the EMP is on a frame of it's own. So tinkering is limited.

Not the route to go given your tinker comment. EMP kinda peaked when there was limited 9mm small gun options.
Old March 26, 2024, 05:55 PM   #15
Mike P. Wagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Might you be looking for suggestions? Are you looking for something specific?

For example, CZ in the non comp oriented SP01+ versions have awful triggers, possibly the worst.

If you like hammered fired compact, the Sig P229 has one of the best triggers you can get. It's a few hundred more than the P01, but well worth it. That hundreds extra includes night sights. So a "Nitron" P229 with contrast sights is even closer to a P01.

While the P01 would make you think on paper it's not snappy, I find mine is very snappy.

Interesting - my AR 24C has a long and occasionally gritty DA pull, but the SA is very short and smooth. I have assumed that’s true of the CZ design in general.

I am not sure when I would ever use the DA pull - w/o decockers, the only way to get into DA is dropping the hammer on a live round. That seems like procedure looking for an error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 26, 2024, 07:36 PM   #16
liv4spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
Does it chamber 100% when releasing the slide stop lever while it's locked to the rear? If so, there is enough force on the recoil spring and you are, in fact, riding the slide forward some while chambering.
Not really. It can still get stuck sometimes. It seems like the journey for the bullet to travel from the magazine to the barrel is a very treacherous one. It is not just about the spring force, which I think mine has plenty.

Last edited by liv4spd; March 27, 2024 at 04:03 AM.
Old March 27, 2024, 12:04 AM   #17
wild cat mccane

Plunk test. Cz throat issue?
Old March 27, 2024, 05:20 AM   #18
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Two things can make loading a CZ easier. Don’t pull the slide, hold it while pushing the lower away then drop the slide allowing it to slam into battery. You can also precock the hammer making things easier.