The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 30, 2005, 11:46 PM   #1
CraZkid

I love this sport!

I shot a couple of weeks ago at the local ipsc match for my second time and again loved it. The first time people kinda stayed back probly wondering what the hell is this kid gonna do? Is he an idiot?or does he know how to handle a gun? I am pleased to report that at the end they told me I was not a danger to my self or others and please come back next month. however I made a bunch of stupid rookie mistakes like forgeting my reload, not shooting each paper target twice, and blasting 3 poppers that controlled six spinners, not realizing that they spin back out of the way after a second.

This time I remembered my reloads shot twice but was caught reloading when I hit the popper that controlled the sole spinner. The learning curve is steep but all I have to say is next month, spinners beware!
Old March 31, 2005, 04:10 PM   #2
Chris W

It's amazing, isn't it, how the brain goes into a frenetic haze at the sound of the buzzer! You're at the beginning of a potentially long and exciting obsession. For now, just keep reminding yourself to shoot no faster than you can see, and avoid making those procedural mistakes.

If you want to read a lot of accumulated wisdom about ipsc/uspsa, try steering over to Brian Enos's forum; and his website, brianenos.com, will also give you a chance to buy his book about practical shooting, which is a mandatory classic for those with your new hobby/affliction.

What gear and division are you shooting?
Old April 3, 2005, 05:24 PM   #3
CraZkid

CZ75B in 9mm. THis month I am going to feild my XD. I am also thinking about getting a barsto barrel for my CZ to make it either .357 sig or 40 S&W (someone said .357 was a minor caliber, is this true?). i am just a little more comfortable witht he CZ I think.
Old April 3, 2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Chris W

Yeah, you can't make major with less than a .40 cal (unless your gun goes round-wise). Of course, that's only a consideration if you're moving out of production (where everyone shoots minor) to limited. I assume you've been shooting production?
Old April 3, 2005, 07:55 PM   #5
CraZkid

They recomended that I start in limited. I guess one of the reasons was that I had the option to go locked-and-cocked instead of hammer-down saftey off. But I did not know that everyone shooting production was scored minor. Why is that? Are there any other vaugarities that I should know about? They tell me to just ask; but this is a case of not knowing what to ask.
Old April 3, 2005, 11:19 PM   #6
scottys1

For a full rundown on rules, visit uspsa.org

As stated above, for more info than you ever wanted to know about competitive pistol shooting, visit the forums at brianenos.com

Production division is intended to attract new shooters to shoot with a gun they already own in a "run what you brung" class. DA/SA, DAO, or a Glock type action is required and single action only is disallowed. Production is scored minor regardless of caliber.

You might also look at shooting Limited-10. The rules are the same as Limited, but you are restricted to 10 rounds in each magazine. I see a lot of single stack .45's in this class. Some shooters use their Limited gun and download their mags to shoot an extra class and double their trigger time.

Anything legal for Production would also be legal in Limited or Limited-10.

You can't make major power factor with a 9mm bullet unless you are shooting a revolver or open class. .40 is the smallest caliber for major in other classes.