The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1
boostedtt91

winchester 7.62x54 New Primed Brass

Since 7.62x54 brass is nearly impossible to get these days i wanted to try and help out some people that are in need. A local gunshop about 25 min from me just got in another batch of brand new winchester 7.62x54 primed brass. He's selling them for $11 for 20. If anyone is interested in some please message me and i can go get some for you and send them to you.
If there is enough interest ill make one trip and buy it all as it won't be worth it for me to make a bunch of trips for a couple
Old January 4, 2012, 09:19 AM   #2
hornetguy

Thanks for making the offer. I don't need any at this point, as I have just over a hundred S&B brass that I have to use up, but I just thought I'd pass along the thanks for offer. Two thumbs up!
Old January 4, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3
vladan

Winchester, Prvi and S&B makes 7.62x54R rounds in boxer primed, reloadable brass, that can be had for as low as $13.99 per 20 so I quite don't see rationale for buying virgin brass for two dollars less.
Old January 4, 2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Don P

At those prices wouldn't it be less expensive to shoot surplus ammo? Surplus is running around .18-.20 per round instead of .55 per round just for brass. IIRC even Brown Bear factory ammo is cheaper than that.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 4, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
boostedtt91

Yea surplus ammo is alot cheaper, but its corrosive and you can't reload them. This is for anyone who wants brass to reload as i know there was a few guys looking for some earlier. I know it might be alittle expensive for some, but for the guys out there who want to buy New Brass know you can't buy it anymore.

So i just wanted to offer just incase anyone is interested
Old January 4, 2012, 10:37 PM   #6
medalguy

Keep in mind at some point in the future we're gonna shoot up all that nice Romanian and Russian ball, and all that's left is gonna be really crappy ammo. The only option at that point will be to reload, so I'm buying commercial now and saving the brass for future needs.
Old January 4, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
Fullthrottle

I have found it easier/cheaper to buy loaded 7.62x54 ammo in reloadable brass than buying raw brass for that caliber.

I haven't had great results in the loaded ammo but they have been fair. As for my loads...much improved.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:35 AM   #8
FatWhiteMan

I don't buy new brass anymore since PRVI Partizan began selling loaded, boxer primed brass cheaper or nearly as cheap, than they sell unfired brass for.

I just buy their loaded ammo from Grafs or MidwayUSA and reload it. I have done this to get brass for 7,62x54, 7,65 Belgian Mauser, 6.5x55 Swede, .303 Brit and 7x57.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:49 AM   #9
res45

I bought some of the Win. preprimed 54r brass back several years ago when it was pretty cheap at around $30 per 100 pieces,it's made by S & B of the Czech Republic who loads some of the metric cartridges from Winchester.

Haven't had any issues with it after many loading,I mainly use it for my cast bullet loads. The brass comes primed with the S & B LR primer. Brass below is reprimed using Win. LR primers.

Old January 16, 2012, 06:16 AM   #10
govmule84

Personally...

I think the S&B brass is awful. Split case necks on the first firing - not loading, first, virgin firing.

If you need brass, Midway often has the Norma fairly affordably, and they always seem to have the Lapua.

It's pricy, but man, it's some nice brass.

For those with Finn bores, reloading is close to the only option!
Old January 16, 2012, 01:39 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
At those prices wouldn't it be less expensive to shoot surplus ammo? Surplus is running around .18-.20 per round instead of .55 per round just for brass. IIRC even Brown Bear factory ammo is cheaper than that.
It is less expensive, but not everyone is willing to put that crap through their rifles.

And... some of us bought the rifles for reasons other than centerfire plinking.

My M38 is used for two things:
A short-range "brush gun" for Elk and Moose.
Rabbits (practice for the above purpose).

Last year, I fired less 10 rounds in that rifle. As such, I could afford to buy Lapua 180 gr Mega SPs, if I wanted to ($62+ per box). But, I'm a reloader. I'd rather work up a hand load specifically for my rifle and the intended purpose, than waste my money on factory ammo.

One of my current loads comes in at $0.42 each, with a Hornady 174 gr RN sitting on a hefty does of 4064. It's a great load, and still cheaper than most factory ammo (even some of the import crap).

Res45 -
If you want an ammo box that fits 7.62x54R better, the MidwayUSA boxes fit nicely. I use the CB-10 (.30-06 class) for some loads, but most of my hand loads fit in the CB-09 (.308 class).

Last edited by FrankenMauser; January 16, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old January 16, 2012, 07:16 PM   #12
res45

Quote:
Res45 -
If you want an ammo box that fits 7.62x54R better, the MidwayUSA boxes fit nicely. I use the CB-10 (.30-06 class) for some loads, but most of my hand loads fit in the CB-09 (.308 class).
Thanks,I've looked at those in the past and plan to get some eventually. Not much going on at the work place these days so discretionary spending has been cut back quiet a bit.
Old January 21, 2012, 01:31 PM   #13
pastorcurtis

Thanks!

PM is in bound, thanks for spreading the wealth!
Old January 21, 2012, 03:58 PM   #14
boostedtt91

Quote:
Winchester, Prvi and S&B makes 7.62x54R rounds in boxer primed, reloadable brass, that can be had for as low as $13.99 per 20
Please tell me where your finding it for so cheap, cheapest i ever see is for $16.99 a box, then you gotta pay shipping which is another $10 so to me, buying good quality brand new primed brass is worth it
Old January 21, 2012, 05:09 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Please tell me where your finding it for so cheap, cheapest i ever see is for $16.99 a box, then you gotta pay shipping which is another $10 so to me, buying good quality brand new primed brass is worth it
Prvi 150 gr SP ammo was on sale at Midway last week (two weeks ago, maybe?) for $13.99.

Both were recently on sale at AbleAmmo, and CCF Sports, as well.

And... AIM Surplus has it for less than $14, as a regular price.

You still have to pay shipping, but that's a given if you can't get it locally, anyway.
Old January 21, 2012, 05:20 PM   #16
Bigdog57

I go the other route. Of my seven Mosins, most get surplus fodder, but my one scoped Mosin 91/30 Hex deserves better. I am a stickler for tighter groups, and don't shoot all that much any more. So, I ordered 200 pieces of Lapua brass, and Sierra Match King bullets. Just my personal preference and I am willing to pay more for quality.
This small stock will last me for my Mosin shooting needs.

Last edited by Bigdog57; January 21, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:18 PM   #17
boostedtt91

it all depends if you want to shoot for accuracy or just out plinking. If you don't care bout accuracy, then surplus ammo is perfect. If your shooting for the best accuracy and or long distance, your going to be handloading so your gonna need brass.

Like i said, i got the opportunity to share this Winchester primed brass since im not going to be buying it all, so if you have no interst in it thats perfectly fine, im just trying to help out anyone that does want it. Im selling it pretty much for the exact price he's asking for it, so im actually loosing $ doing it after paying taxes for it and gas to get it. I actually think its a good price for it compared to what your paying for other brass. For example i think 30-06 brass is almost $40 for a bag of 50.