The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 12, 2020, 01:22 AM   #1
BJung

SKS front sight

Have any of you noticed that if you place your chin on the back stock and use the front sight hood as a front sight, you can aim with it? Maybe this is standard knowledge. Doing so would make a fine way of aiming using rifle and going through tight quarters.
Old May 13, 2020, 08:49 AM   #2
10-96

It seems it would be easy for use in MOPP 4 gear. Although most countries who used SKS's had the funky soviet style rubber bag type gas masks. I haven't worn one, but maybe the eye holes prevent a proper cheek weld?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:33 PM   #3
veprdude

I'll admit, I had to go out and grab one to see what you're talking about. I still don't know what you're talking about.
Old May 18, 2020, 09:47 AM   #4
BJung

Aiming with the front hood

Shoulder your SKS, place your chin on the comb of the stock, look at the target bullseye, and place the top of the sight hood under the bullseye like a front sight. You'll handle the rifle like Special Forces or SWAT personnel entering a house with a rifle. I tried it once at 15 yards once and it hit close to where I was aiming. It's a nice feature to know.