The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2006, 11:59 PM   #1
mta90412

kevlar?????

does anybody know a good place to buy cheap but good class IIIA stuff? I have a limited budget and would like some b4 I go to Iraq.
Old February 17, 2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Task

Crap, me too.

I know how you feel, Im the guy that we picked to man the M2 ontop the HMMWV. Im thinking about wearing my old PASGT vest ( you know the one im talking about ) over my Interceptor, whaddaya think?
Old February 20, 2006, 07:15 AM   #3
ResidentEvilFan

The military doesn't supply you with one?
Old March 3, 2006, 10:47 AM   #4
triggerhappy2006

no our goverment doesnt supply our troops with anything. My cousin is currently over in Iraq and he and his wife sent us an email asking for blankets, sheets, socks, towels, soap deoderent, you get the picture. Hey once your over there if you need anything post it along with your address and ill see what i can do.

thanks for going
Old March 3, 2006, 12:06 PM   #5
gunmoney

I would not go too cheap. Check out USCAV.com and do a search for it or check out diamondback as long as you have the right cridentials. Or just do a google or something and you will find armor real cheap and it should work but get as good as you can afford.

Task. I am no expert but I would get a good coverage concealment vest and put it under your IBA. Less bulk and won't cover up your issue armor. Also check out diamondback or paraclete and see all of the nifty armor accessories they sell. Things like neck and face armor, forearm armor, and full thigh, groin, and upper body rifle protection.

PACAs stuff is pretty cool too.
Old March 4, 2006, 06:13 AM   #6
Niantician

I assume you're in a non combat job over there, and that's why you're getting the old stuff. if not who is your senator? If it's a dem, call em up and complain. They might use you politicaly. But you will get some armor after they end up on cnn bashing the war in your name. as far as toiletries and underwear, you kind of have to plan ahead and bring at least 6 months of your own stuff. but seriously if you raise enough hell about buying your own armor somebody will get it for you. By the way you need a lot of kevlar to stop 7.62. you need something with a solid trauma plate. a regular cop vest won't do.
Old March 4, 2006, 10:28 AM   #7
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Im thinking about wearing my old PASGT vest ( you know the one im talking about ) over my Interceptor, whaddaya think?
I think you are going to do major damage to your spine wearing that much weight. A soldier in my old battalion did some major damage to his spine in Bosnia by wearing the PASGT vest over a regular Point Blank bulletproof vest (not the Interceptor). Since the military is planning on upping the protection level of the Interceptor with more hard armor plates, bringing it to a whopping 31 pounds by itself, do you really want to add another 10 pounds of PASGT vest?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams