The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 2, 2005, 04:54 PM   #1
maximuss

First Deer/Elk (Big Game) rifle

I have a question for experienced hunters out there.
After many days of thinking and narrow down to choose my first Deer Rifle.

It is either: Browning A Bolt Medalion

OR

Browning BAR Long Trac

I am thinking getting 30-06.

Only thinking this hard because I have heard many people complains that BAR lacks accuracy...but by how much?

Thanks.
Old September 2, 2005, 06:59 PM   #2
308LAW

BAR Accuracy is probably as good as the A-bolt, If you want really good accuracy go Remington, Weatherby, Winchester, Savage, Tikka, or Sako. Something with an adjustable trigger. Brownings have good accuracy and sometimes you get one(BAR or A-bolt) that is exceptional but it is not the norm. If you are wanting the fit and finish of Browning, which is top notch with the best accuracy try Weatherby or Sako. Also look at Brownings magazines, they are differnt and are akward for a lot of people.
Old September 2, 2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Pointer

Medallion 30-06

Composite stock

Leupold Vari-X III in 2-7 power

A friend was with me in the field with a brand new BAR he bought for his daughter. It jammed on the first several attempts to fire it. (Bang-jam-clear, Bang-jam-clear)

This was probably just a fluke, but fukes like this are rare on bolt action rifles.
Weather/temperature will have a greater effect on the semi-auto as well.

I have Browning bolt actions and the magazines present no problem for me.
In fact, if you choose, you can use the handy magazines or load the bolt rifle down through the breech like any other brand.
Old September 2, 2005, 10:00 PM   #4
fisherman66

I'll second a non-semi for the first hunting gun. They are great fun plinkers, but they just don't inspire confidence (at least for me). Bolt and falling blocks are typically most accurate and fool proof (as far as feeding issues or malfunctions), lever actions are refined to rarely if ever fail to feed but typically are slightly less accurate. Not that there aren't some exceptional semi's.
Old September 2, 2005, 10:12 PM   #5
siotwo

+1 on Medallion and VariX-III

Medallion is not composite stock, however.
Old September 3, 2005, 03:44 PM   #6
maximuss

Thank you for your info.

Would you think this is good tools:
A Bolt Medallion with Leupold VX-III 3.5 x 10?

Well, I made up my mind for the scope way before anything else....
Old September 3, 2005, 07:19 PM   #7
308LAW

before you spend money on your scope look at the following
http://www.riflescopes.com/products/...ifle_scope.htm
http://www.riflescopes.com/products/...ifle_scope.htm
These our both scopes in the price range of the Vari-X III. the burris is cheaper and a has a little better clarity and brightness for less money, the Zeiss is much better for about the same money.IMHO at least go look at them
Old September 4, 2005, 12:03 AM   #8
siotwo

Definately look at riflescopes.com....I bought a variX-3 a few years ago and spottingscope from them last year. Almost went with the Conquest.

You will love the medallion with the variX-3 (or burris or ziess)

308...the burris really out performs the leupold in low light? I never compaired them side by side.
Old September 4, 2005, 12:39 AM   #9
308LAW

I think so, and maybe a little clearer, the Zeiss kicks both butts. I have several Vari x 1s 2s and 3s, my favorite Luppy is an old 3x9 vari-x 2. The scope I really want is the new Kahles CL series.
Old September 4, 2005, 09:02 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The most important part of the deal for a hunting rifle is how well the stock fits your body. Just as with a shotgun, when you close your eyes and mount the rifle to your shoulder: When you open your eyes, you should be looking right down the centerline of barrel and/or through the sights without moving your head.

Scope? I got my first Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 in 1973. Still use it. Works just fine.

Art
Old September 4, 2005, 09:37 AM   #11
mete

The other option for an auto is the Benelli R-1. It's supposed to be accurate and if it's like their shotguns will be very good.
Old September 4, 2005, 01:24 PM   #12
308LAW

Quote:
The other option for an auto is the Benelli R-1.
Very nice rifles. Much cleaner lines than BAR's but price reflex this also( over a grand)
Old September 4, 2005, 08:36 PM   #13
Lawyer Daggit

Nice rifles- although a bit too shiny for hunting at times.

If you are a beginner or reload I would go for the medallion.

Semi autos really call for an experienced or highly trained shooter to get the best out of them.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:44 AM   #14
Pointer

Siotwo

It breaks my heart to learn that the composite stock isn't available.

Thanks for the wake up.
Old September 6, 2005, 07:20 AM   #15
siotwo

You may(or not) already know that the composite version of medallion is "composite stalker" I have one in 7mag. Matte finish on the barrel, palm swell on the stock. I chose mine for durability, but the Medallion sure is purdy. The only trouble with the magazine is that it does deforms some when placed between the rear tire of a pickup and an iron ore road. "Did you hear that? Must have been a rock" I found it a couple days later mashed into the dirt and a bent up a little. I got it to work again, but bought a new mag anyway.

Dry your eyes, my friend. All is well.
Old September 10, 2005, 03:25 AM   #16
Pointer

Siotwo

Sniff, sniff...tank eooo.
Old September 14, 2005, 12:38 PM   #17
Northslope Nimrod

Possibly look at something in between. I came really close to buying the Browning BLR. But the BLR is heavier in the 30-06 caliber. I almost bought the 300 WSM because the short actions are substantially lighter. However, my primary elk/deer rifle is a 30-06 Rem. 700.
The 30-06 caliber is tough to beat. You can buy High Energy bullets from Federal to get great long distance ballistics. Check them out on Federal's web page. Also, ammo is cheap and always available.
If you go with the 30-06 I prefer the bolt action. I think the semi-auto's do a number on your psychi.....I think you will be prone to "praying and spraying"....or atleast not taking good aim on your first & most important shot. I experienced this when I went from a single shot shotgun to a semi-auto. Browning bolt actions are very lightweight as well.
Old September 14, 2005, 04:14 PM   #18
BUSTER51

Remington 700 Bdl 3006,nikon Monarch Scope 3-9x40 .adjust Trigger To 2.5 To 3 Lbs And Your Good To Go For Life.
Old September 14, 2005, 05:14 PM   #19
spacemanspiff

i got one of the 'classic' rem 700's in 8mm mauser. put a leu vx-iii 3-9x40 on it (WA set aside one for me with the german #4 reticle, only fitting to have a german ret when using a german caliber). my winter project is to develop a good load with either hornady 170 gr, noslers 180 gr, or barnes triple-shock 180 grs.

seeing mixed results with factory ammo. the one box of winchester was getting about 1moa, remington about 2 moa, with the groups 4 inches to the right of where the win was.
Old September 14, 2005, 08:58 PM   #20
maximuss

Thank you for all your inouts and I used your opinion and advise.
I decided to go for Benelli R1.
I wanted auto loader for heavier caliber. I would go for bolt action with lighter caliber. My wife has Rem 700 in .243. My father-in-law shoots Win 70 in 30-06.
I wanted something tha tI can use from deer to Beer.
I may get Browning medallion in 270WSM next.
Old September 16, 2005, 05:32 PM   #21
tintcutter

try to shoot a 30-06 at a 250 yard target, then compare your accuracy to a lighter round like 243win, 260rem or 7mm mauser. It will be interesting, I promise.
Old September 20, 2005, 10:54 AM   #22
Fremmer

Quote:
I wanted something that I can use from deer to Beer.
In my opinion, shooting beer constitutes alcohol abuse.

Just kidding! Sounds like you made a great choice. Please provide a range review of the Benelli -- I'd like to learn more about this rifle. Good luck!
Old September 20, 2005, 10:56 PM   #23
maximuss

I did not notice till you pointed my misspelling.
I meant to say was bear.

Actually you made me laugh. :
Old September 24, 2005, 08:19 AM   #24
Jack O'Conner

Some guys get target rifles and hunting rifles confused. These are the same guys who belittle pump action, lever action, and semi-auto actions. In their world, nothing but the finest bolt action is worthy to take afield.

In contrast, I've hunted with many rifles over the past 38 years. Remington's slide action is designed for the big hunter and is a superb choice. Our older model 760 in .243 will consistantly shoot one inch or less groups at 100 yards! It's action is enclosed in steel with a sliding dust cover. Easily one of the safest designs of all time. The trigger is easy to master with just a little practise. I actually prefer a slightly mushy trigger. Remington offers this rifle in a number of calibers including 30-06. It is common to find a slightly used 760 or 7600 priced at around $300. which is a genuine bargain in my opinion.

Remington's semi-auto(s) are also good rifles. Browning's BAR has slightly better finish details and the recoil is less because of stock design and weight. I had one in .308 for several seasons and it performed without a problem during sub zero weather in the Bighorn Mts.

Lever actions have always been popular with hunters. Browning's BLR is now offered in MAGNUM cartridges. Marlin and Winchester still out-produce all gun makers with their handy and reliable carbines.

Elk are difficult to kill with just one shot. Some guys opt for a hard kicking magnum as they perceive more power will kill better. But a quick second shot into the animal will produce even more damage. What I mean to say is that two well placed .308 Winchester bullets do far more damage than a single .338 magnum bullet. Do the math if you disbelieve me.

Hope this is helpful.
Jack
Old September 24, 2005, 12:30 PM   #25
roy reali

That's A Fact Jack

Deer seasons are opening around here. This keeps our rifle ranges busy. I get a kick out of going and watching folks sight in their "deer" rifles.

I espicallly like seeing some guy with a new, ultra super magnum. Their flinch is almost as amussing as not being able to put enough shots on paper from a box of ammo at one hundred yards to sight the gun in.

I live way out on the west coast. Our deer, espically the coastal ones, are hardly larger then a big dog. I think a big enough dog might actually be able to retrieve one. I guess my 300 Savage is too old and slow for modern deer. They may be involved with BALCO too.