The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2016, 08:02 PM   #1
LAH

My CCW shooting lead

Went out yesterday to try loads in 2 rifles. I always take a 22 rimfire or handgun to play with while the barrels cool. Well yesterday decided to fire my carry gun so took a pile of loads with me consisting of the Saeco #928 over 3.5 grs. of Promo with a HMF primer. The bullets were sized .357 & lubed with LBT soft. This load smokes a bit but shoots fairly clean. You can see the little gun being shot here: https://www.facebook.com/lynn.halste...1042397241092/

Once home I took a couple pictures of the barrel & pushed a patch through with a little Hoppe’s. Considering the pistol was fired 150 rounds & the bullets were cast from range scrap I’ll call this a clean shooting load. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Old January 9, 2016, 05:26 AM   #2
stubbicatt

That's one of the lesser known benefits of shooting properly lubed cast bullets in an appropriate firearm. Easy cleanup.

Its getting to the point with my 32-40 that I only clean out the chamber. The rifle shoots better if I leave the bore alone.
Old January 9, 2016, 06:56 AM   #3
LAH

Love to see picture of the 32/40 if you have one handy.
Old January 9, 2016, 07:06 PM   #4
stubbicatt

Old January 9, 2016, 07:24 PM   #5
LAH

Now that is a rifle. Thanks
Old January 9, 2016, 10:25 PM   #6
Beagle333

Very nice!!!!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 10, 2016, 05:26 AM   #7
stubbicatt

Something I find funny about the lube I use on the 200 grain Saeco tapered bullets in that rifle. I made some Emmeritt's lube which is almost invisible when applied to the bullets. So I added like ¼ of a green crayon to give it color. Now one can see the lube in the grooves without straining his eyes, it is a faintly green color.

Prior to the crayon the lube had that nice honey smell due to the beeswax. The other day when shooting at an indoor range, when the rifle was shot there was a distinct crayon smell. Just that little bit of crayon in a pint or so of lube was enough to give it that smell. Also, this rifle shoots very well with that lube, the bore is shiny with no signs of fouling after 50 rounds. Using the same lube in my Uberti 1873 in 357 mag, I always have crusty powder fouling after 50 rounds, and so that rifle is cleaned after every range outing. No leading, just powder fouling. I guess I'll have to find a different lube for use in the 357 mag, or maybe change up the choice of powder to something else.

--Shot a 1" group using fixed ammo at 100 yards with it, using my Fecker scope! I already know it shoots better breach seated, but there wasn't room to use all the accessories etc. at the range to verify. That's not bad for a 112 year old rifle shooting plain based bullets from a shaky rest. I was happy.

Another nice thing about shooting cast bullets... practically non existent barrel wear. I remember 20+ years ago reading an article in a Precision Shooting or Handloader magazine of a test someone did with a revolver, in which the author measured barrel wear between two revolvers, one with cast bullets the other with jacketed bullets. The jacketed bullet barrel wore out with some number, I don't remember, but the cast bullet barrel had no measurable wear at that number of bullets. I've read of Pope barreled Stevens rifles with over 10,000 rounds through them with less than ½ of .001" wear at the muzzles.

So, LAH, I reckon your little pistol there will go for a million rounds if you keep shooting cast.

Last edited by stubbicatt; January 10, 2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old January 10, 2016, 02:53 PM   #8
LAH

Quote:
So, LAH, I reckon your little pistol there will go for a million rounds if you keep shooting cast.
Guess I'll not be wearing it out anytime soon.

Last edited by LAH; January 10, 2016 at 03:23 PM.