The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 27, 2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Hunter1994

Need help picking a suppressed 300 AAC blk upper

Want to get my first suppressed rifle and really leaning toward the 300blk. I am going to build my lower but want to get a complete sbr upper with a pinned suppressor so I only have to pay one tax stamp.

Any suggestions on which I should get? I'm not too familiar with them. I am on a budget and trying to get by for around 1500-1600 for the upper, suppressor and tax stamp
Old April 27, 2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Sure shot wv

I don't know of any uppers that come that way although I've never looked. I know you said your on a budget but I would highly suggest form 1 an SBR and buy a can. You'll open up soooooo many doors. Any decent 30 cal can alone is gonna be probably 700 on up. If you truly were only gonna shoot subsonic 300BO you could look at the huntertown arms kestrel 9. You could build the upper, SBR it, and buy that can and stamps for close to your budget.

This is just my opinion but I would not want a integrally suppressed firearm. They're cool but I like being able to take my cans off and run them on other hosts.
Old April 27, 2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I would agree. An Integral can is VERY limiting. The ability to use the can on mtpl hosts FAR outweighs the addition cost of the tax stamp. I have 5 cans currently and only now am i considering an intergral MKIII
Old April 27, 2015, 07:42 PM   #4
HKFan9

Why would you pin it and limit a .30cal Can for just one rifle? The beauty of the .30cal can is MOST you order will do anything from 5.7-308 or .300WM. Pay the two stamps and use it on almost every rifle you own.
Old April 27, 2015, 07:48 PM   #5
suncoastarmory

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFan9 View Post
Why would you pin it and limit a .30cal Can for just one rifle? The beauty of the .30cal can is MOST you order will do anything from 5.7-308 or .300WM. Pay the two stamps and use it on almost every rifle you own.
Agreed. Good advice. Check out the SWR/Silencerco Omega.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFan9 View Post
Old April 27, 2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Sure shot wv

Buying a integral barrel and can for say a 10/22 is a little different. I could see that. But I agree with HK. I think you would be mad at yourself down the road if you went that way.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:26 AM   #7
Theohazard

Pin-and-weld jobs with a silencer and a short-barreled upper were semi-popular back when SBRs were illegal here in Washington. Then when the SIG arm brace came out, most people opted to go with an AR pistol instead of permanently attaching their silencer to their upper. And now that SBRs are legal, nobody wants to waste the versatility of a silencer by pinning-and-welding it to one host upper.

A 7.62 silencer will work on many, many different calibers and hosts. I have an SDN-6 that will work on every rifle I ever intend to own. So why would I permanenty attach it so it can only be used on one host?
Old April 29, 2015, 05:43 PM   #8
HKFan9

I ordered a Silencerco Omega 762 a few weeks ago for my rifles. I just Form 1'd my BCM Jack Carbine, I am going to remove the pin and welded brake on its 14.5'' rifle to add the silencerco one. I am also building two new 10.5'' uppers for it, one in 556 and another in 300BO.

So right there I will have three barrels that can host it. I am also threading all my bolt actions... well.. all my NEWER production bolt actions to accept it as well (the old Sako's I will not touch)

Sure its an extra 200$ for the additional stamp... but do you really want to limit a $600-$1200 can to just ONE barrel?

Tags
300 blackout , suppressor , upper receiver