The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2007, 02:11 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Case trimmers - which one is best?

Who makes the best case trimmers? What are the drawbacks of each one?

I currently use the Lee system. Only thing I don't like, is when I chuck my brass into the drill attachment, it occasionally comes un-chucked or loose and moves off center, obviously undesireable when trying to maintain concentric necks. It's also slow and tedious to move on to the next piece of brass.

I would think that one of the lathe style systems would be faster and more stable.

Who's is the best and why? I've read the reviews on MidwayUSA and it seems that the LE Wilson brass trim system seems to get the best reviews, and that the RCBS and Redding systems leave a lot to be desired.
Old February 5, 2007, 09:24 PM   #2
castnblast

The lee system is the best I've used. Trimming cases is like pouring powder. You want a good rifle round, you take your time, measure your load, trickle it to the exact weight and do it all over again. The same for trimming. If you take your time you'll get a good trim...Get in a hurry, and crap...there goes that piece of brass. I like lee because there is no measuring. If you don't get in a hurry, you'll get the same trim every time.
Old February 5, 2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Edward429451

I used the LEE system for awhile and it works great though slow. Then I stepped up to the RCBS power trimmer. A small pain to set up for the first time in a specific caliber but then you're set and can do a large quantity fast & easy. Save one case for fast set up later.
Old February 5, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4
keebo52

+1 for Lee!
Old February 5, 2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Pthfndr

The BEST is the Giraud.

It's also the most expensive, the fastest, the quietest, the most accurate. Easy setup and switching between calibers.

It trims to length, deburrs the outside and chamfers the inside - all at the same time in one quick step. It's as easy to use as an electric pencil sharpener.

If you ever use one you'll wonder why you ever used anything else.

A short (sorry about the poor quality) video.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...audTrimmer.flv
Old February 6, 2007, 12:40 AM   #6
mrawesome22

Lee cutter and lock stud. I don't see how you tihnk it's slow. I have a lathe type Forster and the Lee is 10 times faster.
Old February 6, 2007, 01:00 AM   #7
cheygriz

The best by far is the Forster, lathe type, with the Lyman coming in ssecond. I've tried the Lee, and it is cheap, but it has serious drawbacks:

Extremely slow.
No way to control length. (If you want a litle longer or shorter, you're outta luck.)
Need a different holder for every head size.
Old February 17, 2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Peter M. Eick

I agree with Pthfndr. It is the best, but in the mean time I am fond of my powered RCBS trimmer. Put a 3 way cutter on it and then spend some time tweaking it. Once the cutter is set, lock it down and don't mess with it. I have not changed the settings on my cutters in years. Very reliable and easy to work with.

Old February 17, 2007, 03:13 PM   #9
amamnn

Lee is about the quickest system, but it can give you case mouths that are slightly out of true. I have also noticed while using the Lee, that if I am not careful to tighten the shellholder properly, the case can come loose. Also if you apply too much pressure on the drill the case tends to loosen up.

I use the Lee for general handloading and the Forster trimmer/reamer/turner system for match loads.There are folks who for whatever reason, cannot master the collet anchor for the lathe type trimmers and then go around denigrating them- there is nothing that will cut a case truer if properly used. Sinclair makes a micrometer adjuster for the Wilson trimmer that a lot of people I know like. I don't really see an advantage in it unless you are planning to trim some cases of the same caliber to different lengths in the same session. Certainly the two or three shooters I know have not suddenly begun winning matches since they bought them. Lyman and RCBS make lathe type trimmers as well. As far as I know, Forster is the only one that you can get parts to set it up to do all three functions, and as I recall it was not the most expensive of the bunch, even with all 3 collets I needed. If you had to, you could use the reamer and neck turning components to do your chamfer/deburr on the case mouth, although this is not something Forster recommends nor even claims.
Old February 17, 2007, 03:28 PM   #10
G56

Quote:
The BEST is the Giraud.

It's also the most expensive, the fastest, the quietest, the most accurate. Easy setup and switching between calibers.

It trims to length, deburrs the outside and chamfers the inside - all at the same time in one quick step. It's as easy to use as an electric pencil sharpener.

If you ever use one you'll wonder why you ever used anything else.
The Giraud was my Christmas present to myself, I can sum up my impressions of using this great machine...

WOW!

That says it all!
Old February 17, 2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Foxman

The Lyman with the new quick vise is very good, the Hornady is good also but the Lyman aligns the case mouth with the trimmer much easier. I like the look of the Giraud, very easy.
Old February 17, 2007, 04:58 PM   #12
DaveInGA

I own an RCBS power trimmer. But that said, if you want the best trimmer with the great amount of convenience, the Giraud is it.

Dave
Old February 17, 2007, 05:43 PM   #13
rwilson452

Lee case trimmers

Lee case trimmers are for people that only want to trim to SAMMI spec and want a system that is as near fool proof as possible. once you get the basic setup it's less than $5 per caliber. I would not suggest their chamfer tool if you have large hands
Old February 17, 2007, 06:32 PM   #14
TJ Freak

Case trimmers

I like my Lee. I've never used any others though. I don't use the drill, I use the "By Hand" method. I don't load that many rounds at once though.
Old February 18, 2007, 12:12 PM   #15
flintsghost

I think that some sort of powered system like the RCBS is worth checking out for the speed aspect. I have been using the LE Wilson system for a lot of years. It has it's drawbacks among which is it is SLOOOOOOOWWWW, if there's a lot of brass to do. If you are into the bench rest techniques ie. outside neck turning it won't do that and some of the others will. But you can get a Sinclair tool to do that. I don't do that even on my precision rifle brass. But the advantage for me is the precision length that this system gives me. I couldn't get that from my older RCBS collet type trimmer. Also the Wilson family is about as nice to deal with as people get. You call for a new case holder and they send it to you with an invoice and you send them a check. I don't know of anyone in this day and age that would do that but them.
Old February 18, 2007, 12:22 PM   #16
Peter M. Eick

If you go RCBS a couple of tips with the motor drive.

1) Get the 3 way cutters. Great things, but take your time and set them up once correctly. Some of mine have not been adjusted in years!

2) Put some oil on the shaft and watch where the adjustment plate hits the main support structure for the movable shaft. When the oil just is visible here I open it up and shut it down. When you run it a bit you will see what I mean.

3) I find mine takes about 15 seconds to do a really good job. By watching the oil I get close to .001 routinely in col.

Have fun. These things are great time savers as I am doing something else while it works.