The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2007, 12:24 AM   #1
Harleycharlie

Pitted (dented) 45 colt cases

After examining my just fired (83 in all) cases, I discovered 13 of them had a small dent or pit in various locations on the case and varying in severity. I am shooting a New Model Blackhawk and my load data came from a Speer manual Ruger, TC, section (they were not the hottest loads listed and I had no signes of excess pressure and each round "felt" the same when fired).
I've searched the forums and read that these pits or small dents are probably from unburned powder between the case and cylinder. I ran a few through the resizer and can still see the pits.
I'm thinking that these cases should NOT be reloaded with the hotter loads again or maybe I should just toss them. Any suggestions, recommendations or advice?
Thanks
(p.s. I hated winter until I discovered reloading)
Old February 24, 2007, 01:02 AM   #2
Gewehr98

Why not reload them and fire them again?

If the case integrity isn't compromised, it's no big deal. The dents will iron out, and/or new dents will appear from any more unburned debris in the chambers.

Sounds like you need to find a cleaner-burning load.

My AG-42B Ljungman puts a really nice dent in the 6.5x55 cases on the way out. My resizing die can only straighten so much of it, but the resized cases will still chamber and feed. After firing, the first dent is gone, replaced by another one.

A vicious cycle, as it were.

Neural Misfires
Old February 24, 2007, 09:43 AM   #3
.45 Vet

Slight dents may very well (pop) smooth-out after firing. You could try reloading at the warm-end of the "STANDARD LOAD" formulas with a good firm crimp. Shoot these reloads first in clean chambers during your next range session. I'd also be interested in how the brass came to be dented if fired in a single action revolver...