The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2010, 04:02 AM   #26
8shot357

Quote:
I have tried shooting a Kel-Tec .380, and didn't like it at all. The grip was so small it was uncomfortable to hold, even for my small hands, and the trigger pull was so long I had trouble with accuracy. In short, not a weapon I would feel comfortable carrying.
I have looked at a several options, and am interested in the Kahr p380 (have not had an opportunity to try shooting it yet). It has a much shorter trigger pull, is a nice size, and is fairly accurate. I am also interested in the Sig Sauer P238, which is a similar size but slightly longer and heavier.
Thoughts or recommendations?
Ruger LCP with a hogue wrap around, or one of those that you mentioned.
Old September 19, 2010, 05:06 PM   #27
saltydog452

Back tracking to the original post,

plaidrabbit has asked but rec'd a bunch of responses from guys. I'm about to be just as presumptious by offering a suggestion or two to the 'little lady' from a male.

There are ladies with 'coke bottle' frames who carry ON BODY. Pax or SpringMom can help with carry suggestions.

What seems to be kinda versatile for this household is the light weight .38 revolver. With a Birami Hip Grip, a holster isn't needed.

My bride can carry, on body, with discretion, a bobbed hammer Cobra or Bodyguard.

Discrete carry with Shoestring straps, lotsa exposed cleeevage, and mini/micro hemlines probabally wouldn't work, but then, life isn't a movie set.

Keep looking. There are tons of leathersmiths catering to us. Not too many for our ladies.

salty.
Old September 20, 2010, 03:46 PM   #28
redrick

I would get a 9mm over the 380, they are about the same size. You get a better SD caliber, better selection of ammo and the ammo cost less.

I would look at these.
Walther PPS 9mm, you can get different sized mags to make the grip longer or shorter, short trigger pull.
Kahr CW9 or P9, nice size grip, it has a long smooth trigger pull.
Kahr PM9, it's the smallest of the above.
Old September 20, 2010, 03:56 PM   #29
TheAmmoBroker

My recommendation would be the S&W Chief's Special, perhaps 9mm, but I also see them in 45ACP.
Old September 20, 2010, 04:27 PM   #30
AGENT TIKKI

Have you looked into the Walther PPS?
Old September 20, 2010, 04:33 PM   #31
AGENT TIKKI

3" barrel 1911?
Old September 20, 2010, 08:27 PM   #32
camsdaddy

I find I can carry my 3913 or my 26 in appendix carry easier than I can my K frame snub or sometimes even my J frame. I dont know why its like the grip just protrudes on the revolvers.
Old September 21, 2010, 10:22 AM   #33
engineer88

I hate to say it but if you cannot or are unwilling to get used to a DAO trigger (it takes some practice) then some very fine weapons are ruled out like walther pps, kahr cw9, keltec pf9 etc.

That puts you in the da/sa category and you are looking at a bersa, walther ppk, feg or other milsurp, most of which are .380 or 9x18 mak.

Have you ever shot a Glock? If that trigger doesn't kill you a walther pps or glock 26 may fit the bill. Otherwise a sig232 or ppk (not ppk/s as it is a bit bigger) may suit you best.

I have a ppk/s that went back due to issues with the slide. It was replaced and is now 100% reliable. They are a tad on the heavy side, but they are thin and easy to shoot.

You might wanna do a search on "bobo's pocket gun chart" as well. It may help you to get some ideas. Good luck!
Old September 21, 2010, 12:16 PM   #34
AGENT TIKKI

My wife is 5'2" 100lbs, and loves her new Smith and Wesson Walther PPK/S .380 acp. Its a tad on the heavy side its size for its size, but its a shooter and the recoil is very manageable. She likes it because slim hides all her 2 million purses and "its pretty"

Last edited by AGENT TIKKI; September 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: adding more
Old September 21, 2010, 12:52 PM   #35
andy416mag

Kelt tec 380 or the kel tec PF9
Old September 22, 2010, 03:07 PM   #36
AGENT TIKKI

how about the Sig Sauer p232? I just remembered that we were considereing the PPK/S vs the P323..........
Old September 22, 2010, 05:23 PM   #37
Nick70

Another strong vote for the Walther PPS 9mm. My wife is about your size and she loved my PPS so much I lost it. It worked out though. She agreed to let me look at HK's. Hope she doesn't find out how much they cost until after I get it.
Old September 22, 2010, 06:31 PM   #38
Les Maynard

Location: Safety Harbor, Florida since 2006 Waterloo, New York before 2006.
Do not be leary of the Sig P238. Both my wife and I have one. Hers is a Equinox and mine is a SAS and both have been very reliable and fun to shoot. Also mine is my back up to my Kimber Ultra CDPII 45acp. WE have had zero problems with them,light weight,easy to conceal.

Old September 23, 2010, 04:57 PM   #39
TxGlockMan

My wife is 5' exactly and she carries a Glock 19 most of the time. When she doesn't carry her glock, she'll carry her Walther PK380.
Old September 23, 2010, 10:06 PM   #40
ferrarif1fan

Definitely look at the Bersa line

I've got two Bersas: a model 95, single-stack .380, and a 9mm Ultra Compact. The Bersa 380's are light, thin and pretty darn light. A great combo for a carry gun. I carried mine in a thin nylon IWB holster inside my waistband above my right front pocket. The holster was custom sewn and included a mag pouch for an extra mag. I think with both mags loaded and one in the chamber the whole rig weighed about 26 ounces. And it was so thin, that it was very easy to tuck my shirts in and no one was the wiser, even with the black clip coming down over my belt.

As time went on, I really wanted to move up to 9mm. I looked and looked and actually went back to Bersa. The 9mm Ultra Compact is a great, inexpensive option. It has 13 round mags. The double action pull is a bit stiffer than I like, but the single action trigger is about the best of all the pistols I have. The downside to the 9UC is that it's a bit thick in the slide and pretty heavy. Their literature says it's 24 ounces unloaded, but mine was more like 28. Mine has been totally reliable. I also like the safety features. I carry it with one in the chamber and the hammer at half cock. If you want absolute safety, you can carry one in the chamber with the safety on. This disengages the hammer, trigger and locks the slide closed. The safety also functions as a decocker.

A lot of people don't think much of Bersa's because they're not a "big" name. But I think they're a very under-rated, inexpensive gun. You should take a look at some and possibly shoot them if you can find someone who has one.

Robert
Old July 30, 2013, 10:07 AM   #41
italianbreadman

Quote:
PM9 and 442
I hate to dig up such an old thread, but I see the PM9 and the 442 discussed/compared here, and just wanted to get people's further opinions on how these two carry on a daily basis, particularly when it comes to pocket.

Any thoughts? LOTS of thought???
Old July 30, 2013, 10:25 AM   #42
Ace_Breaker

I have owned, tried, tested numerous CCW handgun. I currently own Glock 26, LCP, Nano, Rohrbaugh, Kimber Ultra RCP, Hk P7, and others. I have tried many others Kahr, XDSC, Rami, Keltec, Taurus, Tec. The one that gets the most CCW time is the Walther PPS. It is the perfect mix of size, capacity, reliability, quality, and accuracy. The Hk P7 is the other standout with the Glock 26 close as well. The Walther has great options for the grip as well by changing adapters along with different mag lengths. A few years ago I did a post here listing all of my pro's and con's if you care to dig.

Tags
.380 , concealed carry