The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2024, 09:15 PM   #1
Lurch37

New Winchester Large Pistol Primers

I was getting ready to load up some 44mag today and while at the LGS I noticed that the new Winchester Large Pistol Primers are no longer good for magnum loads? At least I couldn't see anything saying they were as like on the old boxes.

I admit I haven't bought any WLP for some time so maybe I missed the memo on them changing something? Their website lists the WLP as being for Large Regular Pistol only. I'll send off an email asking but thought maybe someone here might know already.
Old April 20, 2024, 10:52 PM   #2
Metal god

I too have been using WLP primers bought several years ago that say for standard and magnum loads . However I was at a gun show last month and also noticed the new packaged boxes no longer say for magnum loads . I asked about it and the guy said they were never for magnum loads which told me I need not ask him anymore question about reloading .

Short answer is no I have no idea if they changed or just stopped printing it on the package.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 21, 2024, 10:59 AM   #3
SonOfGun

Select primers according to what powder you are using, not the name of the cartridge
Old April 21, 2024, 11:45 AM   #4
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGun View Post
Select primers according to what powder you are using, not the name of the cartridge
You really missed the point.
Old April 21, 2024, 12:19 PM   #5
georgehwbush

what exactly is the point? the question as i see it is; "the box changed, did the content change also?".

short answer is no, at least not according to what i have read about them.
Old April 21, 2024, 04:02 PM   #6
Lurch37

Sorry for the confusion. Here's my 2nd attempt.

The older WLP primer was and could be used for Standard and Magnum loadings and stated such on their boxes/cartons.

The newer WLP primer boxes/cartons do not have that wording on them nor can I find anything on Winchesters website other than the WLP is for Large Regular Pistol loadings which if I'm not mistaken would not include a magnum cartridge loading.

I though if anybody here had actually talked to Winchester that they might share their answer and a link before I contact them. Thank you.
Old April 22, 2024, 12:41 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

You have the box, somewhere on it should be the Lot#

Have that available when you contact Win. The old boxes said "for standard and magnum" so if the new stuff no longer says that ask then WHY???

DO they no longer recommend their LRP primers (lot #) for magnum loads?

IF so, what DO they recommend??

Remember that everything loaded in cases named Magnum doesn't use a "magnum" primer. We use them because they are recommended, but they aren't needed for many powders. Some powder light better with magnums, some don't need them.

Elmer Keith's classic .44 Mag load used standard large pistol primers.

I've always used magnum (or winchesters that said they were good for magnums) because I always had them and they do work best for some powders. I use them to light W296 they get the job done well.
Old April 22, 2024, 10:52 AM   #8
totaldla

According to my chronograph, the old WLP and CCI350 were the same "hotness" igniting W296/H110 in 44mag. But the WLP cup was thinner and I did have some crack and vent - so I only use CCI350 in my 44mag loading.

It would be great to find out what Winchester changed.