The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Jeffm004

Skinner “Express” Sight Review 2014 .357 Henry “Big Boy Express” (Unique vs. H110)

I’m putting this in the rifle form where I asked about the sights earlier and got pretty close to crickets.

I bought my Dad and Brother a Skinner Sight for their 2014 .357 Henry “Big Boy”. I am ecstatic with its performance. We were all over the paper with the stock iron sights at 100 yards, just abysmal. I searched for better sights knowing we did not want a scope on these levers. I did not find much, I found Skinner but even here, there was not much for reviews.

I put the sight on my Dads .357 for Christmas (sneaking it out of his safe) and zeroed it yesterday with a ladder of Unique and H110 powder. This group is with Unique, 7.4 gr and a 158 gr Xtreme plated bullets at 100 yards (1.6” COAL). I am not particularly skilled with iron sights. I have an AR and have never shot a group like this with that. The H110 was not nearly as impressive either. Something I did not expect based upon its reputation. I did not crono this particular load but 7.2 of Unique was 1085, 7.7 gr was 1187 (4”), 7.7 in the lever was 1360 – ABOVE recommended plated velocities. 7.7 gr was top end jacketed in Speer #14.

I regularly read plated should be run at lead to mid-range jacketed, YMMV.
The year of the gun purchase is semi-important as I did not buy a replacement front sight. I tightened everything up and it shot true with this load “out of the box.” My plan for L/R was to actually move the front sight. You can move the Skinners but it looked so good with the smooth lines I did not want to take the dovetail out of alignment with the mounted brass block. Elevation is changed by rotating the peep and securing it when set with a side set screw. Super easy. I wanted something indestructible once set. This appear to me to be indestructible this side of intentional abuse.

I’m old enough to find the real joy of Christmas in the giving, and my Dad and Brother are going to love these sights.

I hope Yours was the Merriest of Christmases.

Jeff
Old December 28, 2015, 11:52 AM   #2
Fotheringill

I have had Skinners on a few rifles. If you have a static target at X yards, once zeroed in, they are fine BUT a PITA to adjust for different distances.
Old February 14, 2016, 04:57 PM   #3
THRASH

Super Skinner!

I put a Skinner peep solution on my Browning 1886 .45-70, and its a HUGE leap forward in accuracy at 100 & 200+ yards. I went with the Merit adjustable aperture option which works great depending on the amount of daylight. BUT - I did have to go with a taller front sight (.375 to .5" tall) to compensate for the "Skinner-rise", but an easy $15 fix. Elevations are PITA as said, but zeroed at 100 yds is pretty comforting. WAY better than any iron sight. Also liked their mix of materials. Try it...

Last edited by THRASH; February 16, 2016 at 11:26 PM.