The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 2, 2011, 03:31 PM   #1
JerryHN

What's the deal with M1A extractors?

So I've been reading about broken extractors on M1A's that needs to be replaced. Is this a current or common issue? I would hate to have this happen on a hunting trip.

To all the M1A owners: Have you had an original SA extractor break, or anything else break? How long have you had your rifle?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old June 2, 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
nbkky71

Extractors do break from time to time. Not as often with USGI extractors, but it does happen.

I shot a loaded-standard model M1A when I first started shooting NRA Highpower back in 2005. Personally, I've never broken an extractor: commerial or USGI. However, I have schucked them from the bolt from time to time!

Unless you're having extraction issues, I'd just shoot the rifle and replace the extractor if/when it's needed. If having a USGI version gives you peace-of-mind, it will cost you around $30-$40.
Old June 2, 2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Slamfire

Given enough time all extractors break. These are highly tempered but highly stressed small pieces of metal. So they are eventually going to break.

I have had at least one, maybe more Garand extractors break. These things were fifty years old before I got my mitts on them and they break.

I have three barrels on my Super Match without any broken GI extractors.

I have replaced M1903 extractors, maybe a Mauser, replaced push feed M70's, heard about a number of M700 extractors being replaced, seen AR extractors that needed replacing.

Stuff wears out.
Old June 2, 2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Eghad

I have has my SA M1A Supermatch since 1990 and nothing has been broken or had to be repaired on it.

NRA Life Member
Old June 2, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
JerryHN

I have a "loaded" model with the ss barrel and syn stock. Do the Super Match models have better/more durable parts?
Old June 3, 2011, 06:19 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I have a "loaded" model with the ss barrel and syn stock. Do the Super Match models have better/more durable parts?
No, same small parts. I believe the SM is double lugged and bedded that the loaded does not have.

Just buy a spare usgi extractor, i've carried mine for ten years and not needed them yet.
Old June 3, 2011, 08:58 AM   #7
kraigwy

I suppose anything can break but I've been shooting my M1A since 1977 and I never broke an extractor.

An extractor is suppose to pull the empty case from the rifle. A case had two functions, One to hold all the components together so it can be fired. The second is to expand, seal the chamber to prevent gas from escaping anywhere but down the barrel.

Brass is elastic. It expands sealing the chamber, then contracts allowing it to be removed from the chamber. Brass cannot expand bigger then the chamber will allow, so what goes in should come out unless something interferes with it.

If there are pits or scratches in the chamber, the brass will expand to fill those imperfections, much like a mold. Now you have high spots in the brass which make it difficult to extract, putting un-do and un-necessary strains on the extractor which if servire could cause failure.

If you're breaking extractors on a M1A or any other rifle, then you should seek out the cause.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 3, 2011, 09:56 AM   #8
jrothWA

PM me have a tech note for you.

Happened to me two years ago, M1Garand with new extractor at a new range.
first Sighters were on the money, first scoring round was an "X", then the stem
broke.
Left my parts kit 2 home.

Another website has a retired Marine armorer, he indicated that I had an early edition on the M14/M1A & M1Garand that had a sharp point that caught the enbloc clip.

had to get new and break the point.

Third one in 20+ years of competition support.
Old June 3, 2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Slamfire

This report, SMALL ARMS WEAPON SYSTEMS (SAWS) FIELD EXPERIMENT (CDCEC 65-4), 10 May 1966,

to be found at http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...f&AD=AD0488337 ,

if you get into section C, you will find data on parts attrition for M14’s, M16’s, Stoner weapons, and AK47’s.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:35 PM   #10
JerryHN

I have been reading a lot of things on the internet (not a good idea, i know) that talks about parts breaking on an M1A. The reason I bought it was because I thought it would be a RUGGED, DURABLE, and RELIABLE gun.

Could I really count on my M1A working under hard and prolonged use without replacement of parts or repair? Or should I have spare parts ready?

How many rounds have gone through your M1A before a break or repair?

Thanks guys
Old June 9, 2011, 08:26 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I have been reading a lot of things on the internet (not a good idea, i know) that talks about parts breaking on an M1A. The reason I bought it was because I thought it would be a RUGGED, DURABLE, and RELIABLE gun.
The M1A is RUGGED, DURABLE, and RELIABLE. IMO the reports of broken parts is exaggerated. There have been reliable reports of extractors failing, it's not a common occurrence. It may have been a bad heat treat batch?? SA did have a bolt recall 30 years ago. If you happen to get a M1A with a old bolt, SA well replace it on their dime, including shipping both ways.

I have a 30 year old M1A that was had the bolt recall, all other parts are still as shipped, 1k plus round count, no problems.

I have a 22 year old rifle that I put a usgi trw parts kit in. These have been in the rifle for 10+ years and 1k+ rounds with no breakage and they were used to start with.

I have had magazine related issues with one 10 round mag.

My opinion only but I think 99% of fire arm problems can be traced back to the operator. Lack of proper maintenance, improper lubrication, cheap steel case ammo...........
Old June 9, 2011, 03:32 PM   #12
alloy

I picked up a spare a couple years ago at some gun show just in case, threw it in the box and went on about my business.
Anything can break, haven't broke an M1A extractor yet, or anything else on two rifles but they get shot a fair amount, couple thousand per year.

Have degraded a few parts noodling where I ought not, otherwise I've had good luck.

Tags
break , extractor , issue , m1a , problem