The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 26, 2017, 10:01 PM   #1
junglebob

Procedure LEOs use to disarm during traffic stop

I understand that in Alaska and some other places (states in the east?) it is common for a LEO to take a legally carried handgun during a traffic stop.

I've had my Illinois Concealed Carry License for almost 3 years now and never been involved in a traffic stop, only one interaction with law enforcement while carrying after a traffic accident. That LEO only asked to see my CCL and didn't even ask where my CCW was. However I understand there is a police department in Northern Illinois that does it often. I'm in more carry friendly Southern Illinois. However I carry a Glock 19 and don't like the idea of either a LEO or me pulling it out of my IWB holster. Now the LEO removing the holster with the gun in it doesn't scare me as much.

I'd be interested in hearing about the procedure used if you were stopped while carrying and the LEO took control of your handgun.

In case you are wondering about carry in Southern Illinois, I carry every day and most places I go to aren't posted against carry unless the law demands it. One bank , nearby, even has a sign with a handgun picture in a circle that says. Security Notice: Legally carried handguns are welcome on this property.
Old February 26, 2017, 10:22 PM   #2
SauerGrapes

I've been stopped twice in the past few years. I'm under no obligation to tell LE I'm armed. I was asked if I had any weapons during one of the stops. I did tell him I had a handgun on my person.
He just asked me to keep my hands on the steering wheel while he ran my info. All went well, no ticket issued, have a nice day.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 26, 2017, 10:43 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Now the LEO removing the holster with the gun in it doesn't scare me as much.
My IWB holster has very strong snaps holding it to my belt. They've never come undone accidentally, but they can be used to remove the holster and gun from the belt as a unit in the event that an officer chooses to do so.
Old February 26, 2017, 10:49 PM   #4
Irish Jack

I was stopped for speeding in Utah. I handed the officer my CCW. He never asked to see the gun. But he did issue me a $100 dollar speeding ticket.
Old February 26, 2017, 11:08 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

junglebob,

Depends on the LEO and the PD's policies.

In Northern states they make make you get out, turn your back toward them with hands up, walk backwards, then stop, kneel, and then lay prone. Or they may just tackle you and cuff you with their knee in your back. They don't need much of an excuse to do that. Just saying you have a gun is enough for many of them to go full Gestapo.

Here in Texas I've never had them even ask for the gun. Some may have you place it on the seat and exit, or exit and place it on the hood of the car. Just depends. Now if you are a suspect in something, hmmm, they may get real antsy and you will have to do exactly whatever they say.... slowly.

Deaf
Old February 27, 2017, 03:09 AM   #6
peggysue

In Iowa if stopped they already know you have a CCW when they look up your licence. They don't even ask. Just issue the ticked for the traffic offence.
Old February 27, 2017, 07:10 AM   #7
David R

Last accident I was in, I told the officer I was carrying while handing him my permit. He said "thanks for the info" with a smile.

Another time I crashed my motorcycle. Ambulance came. I asked for a police officer and told him I had a firearm in my ankle holster. He removed it. After the hospital, I hobbled into the police station. Showed them my permit. They handed it back and said 'I hope everything goes well".

I am form western New York
David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old February 27, 2017, 07:43 AM   #8
junglebob

Deaf Smith, I haven't heard of any LEO in Illinois going "full Gestapo" because they stopped someone carrying. I go to the Illinoiscarry.com forum every day and I've asked if anyone has been disarmed at a traffic stop and no one has reported it happening. The forum has over 5000 members so I think an officer going "full Gestapo" is pretty rare in this northern state. Haven't heard of anyone asked to lie prone on the ground either.

We aren't a duty to inform state, though the LEO will know you have a CCL if he runs your DL.

I assume an officer going "full Gestapo" will just pull my handgun out of my holster without regard for my safety.
Old February 27, 2017, 10:23 AM   #9
BarryLee

I suspect some of it has to do with the individual Officer or maybe certain local Police forces. Here in Georgia I’ve been stopped at a few “checkpoints” I simply gave them my license and insurance, they did a quick glance around the car’s interior and I was on my way.

However, I did have a friend who was surveying a lot for a new home at the end of a dirt road that had apparently become the local “party spot”. While he was waiting on the property owner a local Police Officer pulled up and asked what he was doing. As he tried to explain the Officer had him get out of the car at which time he notified the Officer that he had a revolver on his belt. The Officer radioed for back-up, forced him into a prone positon on the hood of his patrol car and took his revolver. He then placed the gun in his patrol car and used the gun and his presence in a known drug hangout for justification to search his truck. After the search turned up nothing and a long consultation with his back-up they placed his gun on the dash of his truck and tossed the loose ammo into the passenger floorboard. At about that time the property owner arrived and corroborated his initial story, but the Officers offered no apology for their actions. I suppose you can understand the Officers reactions, but not sure everything was 100% legal under Georgia law.

So, again, I suspect Police Officers have a certain amount of latitude in how they handle these situations. The circumstance and your behavior will probably go a long way in determine their actions.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 27, 2017, 10:51 AM   #10
Irish Jack

Yes most states are not unique in how they treat gun owners. I have traveled across the country armed where legal. It is not regional as all laws are enforced locally. The only states that recognize your rights are those with "Constitutional" carry laws.
Old February 27, 2017, 10:52 AM   #11
K_Mac

I live in Southern Illinois and know many of the local police officers. None of them have any interest in disarming a licensed CCL holder. I would follow all instructions to disarm if asked to so during a stop though. If not done professionally, I would first make my complaint to the local Chief or Sheriff after the incident. Any further action would be dependent on that conversation.
Old February 27, 2017, 12:53 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith
In Northern states they make make you get out, turn your back toward them with hands up, walk backwards, then stop, kneel, and then lay prone. Or they may just tackle you and cuff you with their knee in your back. They don't need much of an excuse to do that. Just saying you have a gun is enough for many of them to go full Gestapo.
In which Northern states is this the S.O.P.? Is it standard for all agencies in those states, or does this apply only to the State Police in each of those states?
Old February 27, 2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Doc Holliday 1950

I was stopped in Tn. 3 yrs. ago when I lived there for speeding. After I pulled over, I took out both my driver's license & my Handgun Carry Permit.
When the officer asked for my DL, I gave him both & told him that I was carrying. No big deal. I got a ticket for speeding. The officer thanked me for telling him I was carrying & we both went on our way.

Doc
Old February 27, 2017, 02:08 PM   #14
junglebob

K_Mac, Glad to hear that none of the LEOs you know in Southern Illinois normally disarm people at traffic stops. I would think it would be more of a Northern Illinois north of Interstate 80 thing.

BTW do you live south of I64, my definition of Southern Illinois?

Maybe you can tell me how do you quote someone else in your reply as you have done?

As I mentioned earlier in my only interaction with a LEO he only asked for my LTC and didn't even ask me where my CCW was. Didn't treat me any different than the other driver in the accident.
Old February 27, 2017, 03:14 PM   #15

I'm an LEO in Michigan. I already know if the registered owner of a vehicle has a CPL. If the registered owner is operating the vehicle at the time of the stop, they tell me that they are a CPL holder, and if they're armed or not. I have no need to actually see or handle their firearm, nor do I want them to reach for it. It's really no big deal either way.

Only had a couple of incidents where the CPL holder was drunk driving with a gun in the car, in the console or glove compartment. Those couple of times were no big deal either. Just had to safe and inventory the gun prior to impound.

Never had to arrest anyone who had a CPL and was actually carrying a gun.
Old February 27, 2017, 03:47 PM   #16
K_Mac

Junglebob, I am about 50-55 minutes south of I64 in southern Monroe county.

Copy and paste the selected passage in your reply message and highlight that text. With it highlighted, press the quote button above next to the # symbol. You can add the posted by name as well, but I haven't figured that out!
Old February 27, 2017, 04:09 PM   #17
Kreyzhorse

I've not been stopped in several years but in my state I am not required to tell the officer that I am carrying a weapon. Of course if they run my license it does reveal that I have my CCW permit.

All of that said, I am not sure if I would let the officer know I'm armed unless specifically asked about. I respect the badge but I also respect my rights.
Old February 27, 2017, 05:24 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse
All of that said, I am not sure if I would let the officer know I'm armed unless specifically asked about. I respect the badge but I also respect my rights.
Some states require notification. Know your state's laws -- and, if traveling, do your homework.
Old February 27, 2017, 05:45 PM   #19
Ricklin

OR and WA

Been stopped in both states while carrying. I just inform the officer. No drama. At most I have been asked where the weapon is, and to keep my hands in plain sight.
Old February 27, 2017, 06:59 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Some states require notification. Know your state's laws -- and, if traveling, do your homework.
Sage advice when leaving your home state.
Old February 27, 2017, 09:24 PM   #21
junglebob

Judging by the replies I guess the LEO taking your handgun during a normal traffic stop is rare. Maybe in a Northern State, though I haven't heard of it in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan. Maybe northern as in Vermont? Maine?
Old February 27, 2017, 10:13 PM   #22
heyjoe

somebody has been watching too many COPS shows.
Old February 27, 2017, 10:41 PM   #23
BarryLee

Quote:
somebody has been watching too many COPS shows.
What’cha gonna do…
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 27, 2017, 11:07 PM   #24
Deaf Smith

Quote:
In which Northern states is this the S.O.P.?
Try New York (city) and New Jersey (state).

At least there are many horror stories in those places.

Deaf
Old February 27, 2017, 11:27 PM   #25
mete

I would not like a cop to handle my gun ! I don't know his skill level and especially since I carry a P7 which operates differently than other guns . An untrained , inexperienced person handling a strange gun is an invitation to an ND !!!