The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 12, 2022, 08:19 AM   #1
Skarekrow88

8" Revolver Holsters

Picking up my Cimarron Bad Boy 10mm today and I plan on carrying it hiking and camping with me on some trips I have planned with some friends in Northern Georgia and a few other places. Also, dad has an 8" Colt Python that needs a holster too and I've been tasked with finding us some.

I'm having a little trouble finding holsters that will accommodate 8" barrels. I used to have a large nylon chest holster my grandfather gave me that would have worked but I cannot find it. I'm pretty sure I sold it a while ago not thinking I would ever have a need for it...

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Old September 12, 2022, 08:37 AM   #2
Bob Wright

I'd recommend Doc Barranti, of Barranti Leather. He will make a holster to your specifications, plus he's got a wide variety of stock designs. But an holster for an 8" barrel might take a little time. But well worth it. I've got several Barranti holsters and they are mighty fine rigs.

Bob Wright
Old September 12, 2022, 10:07 AM   #3
Siggy-06

River Junction makes a couple too:

https://www.riverjunction.com/hand-made-holsters
Old September 12, 2022, 10:15 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

My holster for 8" barrel pistols is the Bianchi X2100 Phantom.

It a leather shoulder holster made for the long barrel S&W but many guns will fit. There is a "C" spring clamp inside it which holds the pistol pretty securly, and there is also a snap fastened retaining strap, Adustable shoulder harness (some elastic) and a snap loop that allows securing to a variety of belts.

I don't know if they're still made, I've only had mine since 1983, and have not yet needed any replacement...

I'm sure Uncle Mike's has something suitable in their line of nylons, too, though you might not find the 8" length in a store's display, as demand for that length isn't real high.

Holsters (unlike guns themselves) are something I would have no issues with ordering online.

IF you live where there is still an "old fashioned" gunshop, they will often have a box/bin or table with old used holsters for cheap. Some of them are, of course trashed, but some are often servicable and sometimes good holsters for "oddball" gun can be found there.

Good Luck, they are out there, you just gotta find one...
Old September 12, 2022, 11:22 AM   #5
44caliberkid

The Colt 1860 Army has an 8 inch barrel, so you might check the fit with a civil war reproduction flap holster.
Old September 12, 2022, 01:24 PM   #6
105kw

You might look at El Paso Saddlery, they had a good selection of holsters for longer barreled revolvers.
Old September 12, 2022, 01:34 PM   #7
jar

Check Hunter holsters.
Old September 12, 2022, 02:14 PM   #8
Drm50

I hate nylon holsters. I have Bianchi holsters for 8 3/8” S&W N frames #111 Cyclone cross draw. Comfortable carry for long heavy gun. I have Bianchi for the SA revolvers too. Cant think of number but they are formed for the gun. The longest is for Super Blackhawk 7.5” barrel. They ain’t cheap new but fairly easy to find used $35-$40. Usually used on EBay.
Old September 12, 2022, 03:42 PM   #9
DaleA

Well, here's a couple chest rigs from DeSantis that would fit an S&W X-Frame 8 inch.

https://www.desantisholster.com/black-mamba/ about $135+

https://www.desantisholster.com/the-terminator/ about $210+
Old September 12, 2022, 08:33 PM   #10
ChimpMunk20

Yes on the Cup 002 holster. I've used one in competition for years. Works well.
Old September 12, 2022, 10:15 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The Colt 1860 Army has an 8 inch barrel, so you might check the fit with a civil war reproduction flap holster.
The length is right, he might get lucky, but I don't think a cap & ball holster will take a medium/large frame DA revolver, which the Python certainly is.
Old September 13, 2022, 04:19 AM   #12
armoredman

Maybe one for an 1858 Remington clone might work better, being a much bigger full frame revolver. I know it won't fit into the 1851/1860 holster at all, had to get a size bigger.
Old September 13, 2022, 04:22 AM   #13
armoredman

CraftHolsters seems to have some holsters available for an 8" Python. I know nothing of the company and the prices seem really low. Might be good for a season.
https://www.craftholsters.com/colt-python-8-holsters
Old September 13, 2022, 07:16 AM   #14
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
CraftHolsters seems to have some holsters available for an 8" Python. I know nothing of the company and the prices seem really low. Might be good for a season.
https://www.craftholsters.com/colt-python-8-holsters
I've bought several holster from Craft and they have all been very well made.
Old September 13, 2022, 11:08 AM   #15
jackmoser65

The Bad Boy is going to have more common with the Super Blackhawk with regards to fitment. I seriously doubt any percussion gun holster is going to fit. I've been watching this shop on Etsy with plans to eventually order 'something'. Just haven't figured out what yet. They have a listing for custom work.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GraveyardJackLeather
Old September 13, 2022, 04:33 PM   #16
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
The length is right, he might get lucky, but I don't think a cap & ball holster will take a medium/large frame DA revolver, which the Python certainly is.
I meant for the Bad Boy, which is Colt SAA size. The military flap holsters are fairly roomy, I’ve dropped an SAA in mine for cowboy shoots. But I think Armoredman is right, the 1858 Remington military holster is a little bigger. Just trying to be economical. Try calling Texas Jacks and ask what customers are using.
Old September 13, 2022, 04:40 PM   #17
LeverGunFan

Check with Simply Rugged Holsters, they should be able to help with at least one of your holsters if not both. Also, they have a nifty system that converts a belt holster into a chest rig.
Old September 13, 2022, 08:43 PM   #18
AL45

I've got a Simply Rugged holster and chest rig for my Redhawk 7 1/2" .45 Colt that I really like.
Old September 14, 2022, 11:43 AM   #19
10-96

These folks have a handy Holster Finder Feature. I don't think their quality is up there with El Paso Saddlery, but I haven't worn one out yet either.

https://www.americasgunstore.com/

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 15, 2022, 12:46 PM   #20
Skarekrow88

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I measured the barrel on my Cimarron and its closer to 7 1/4 - 7 1/2" inches long. 8" if you measure from the forcing cone. Turns out dads Colt Python is a 6" not 8"

I made calls to several of your suggestions and spoke with an associate at Hunter Holsters who was very friendly and I ended up buying their Sportsman Bandoleer Holsters which he had in stock and ready to ship for both revolvers. They sit lower and off to the side (somewhat cross-draw as he explained it) compared to typical chest rigs which I think will be ideal because dad likes to fish in gator territory and it'll be out of his way while doing that. I plan to carry binoculars in a chest rig while backpacking so I think its going to work out great for me too. Thanks, again.
Old September 15, 2022, 02:57 PM   #21
GeauxTide

Barranti or El Paso Saddlery
Old September 15, 2022, 07:55 PM   #22
Ole yeller

Skarekrow88
I recently got a Triple K #602 shoulder holster for my 1858 New Model Army. Very comfortable and a quality product. I will be using it for hunting this fall.
Old September 17, 2022, 06:48 AM   #23
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrow88 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I measured the barrel on my Cimarron and its closer to 7 1/4 - 7 1/2" inches long. 8" if you measure from the forcing cone. Turns out dads Colt Python is a 6" not 8"

I made calls to several of your suggestions and spoke with an associate at Hunter Holsters who was very friendly and I ended up buying their Sportsman Bandoleer Holsters which he had in stock and ready to ship for both revolvers. They sit lower and off to the side (somewhat cross-draw as he explained it) compared to typical chest rigs which I think will be ideal because dad likes to fish in gator territory and it'll be out of his way while doing that. I plan to carry binoculars in a chest rig while backpacking so I think its going to work out great for me too. Thanks, again.
I've been using Hunter holsters for some of my revolvers for over a half century and even one that was a hand me down so even older still works jess fine.