The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Bezoar

lemi shine and dawn

for cleaning cases cheap. Read that itsfine to use dish soap on its own. So i tried it. Doesnt work well. gets most of the gunk out. but the fouling on the inside simply gets wet and easy-ish to work with.

REad lemi shine will make the crap inside and out come off the cases.

But ive read lemishine will merely make it easier for tumbling in normal media to remove the residue.
Old July 4, 2014, 01:36 AM   #2
AL45

I clean my brass with about a gallon of boiling water and a teaspoon of citric acid. Stir for a few minutes, pour out dirty water and rinse and stir with cold water for a few minutes. Let dry on a towel. Gets brass clean enough.
Old July 4, 2014, 07:41 AM   #3
LE-28

Quote:
But ive read lemishine will merely make it easier for tumbling in normal media to remove the residue.
I sonic clean my cases every time their fired and they come clean every time, inside and out. I use Hornady One Shot or Lemi shine/dawn and they work about the same. The only difference I've seen is that the lemi shine/dawn drops out all the dirt to the bottom and the One Shot suspends it to make very dirty water solution.

If you are trying to clean cases that have been fired several times without cleaning in either solution, they won't look new and will still have to be tumbled. That burned in carbon is tuff to get out the first time. The primer pockets are as clean as the rest of the brass in my picture.

If I skip cleaning two or three times they won't clean up as nice anymore without tumbling them again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cleaned brass.jpg (133.1 KB, 197 views)
Old July 4, 2014, 08:19 AM   #4
chiefr

If you are a black powder cartridge shooter:
Dawn does have a purpose at the range. I tote a plastic soda bottle half full of water and a couple squirts of Dawn.
I immediately drop my once fired brass in the solution and before I leave I shake the solution well. Get home, dump the contents out, let dry and only have to tumble for an hour and they are bright and shiny.
Old July 4, 2014, 08:33 AM   #5
g.willikers

Soap and water, especially the kind with something citric or lemon, cleans brass pretty good.
But it does take some shaking to get the insides clean, too.
What chiefr sez is a good way to accomplish that without effort.
Let a car ride do the shaking.
Or you can put the brass in a mesh bag and throw it in the washing machine, along with your range clothes.
Then it gets washed clean and tumbled.
Don't forget to run an extra rinse cycle to make sure the washer is clean, though.

Last edited by g.willikers; July 4, 2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old July 5, 2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Clark

I have tried vibrating with corn cob media, walnut media, car polish, paper towel strips, and ultra sound.

Then I tried stainless steel media in a wet tumble with Dawn and Lemi shine. I am never going back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lemi shine and Dawn in basement bathroom 7-5-2014.jpg (53.8 KB, 333 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 5, 2014, 09:39 AM   #7
salvadore

A sonic cleaner with some of that Lyman turbo stuff cleans brass inside and out.
Old July 5, 2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

I vibra-tumble in corn cob; then size/decap; then wet tumble SS/Dawn/Lemi-Shine.

That's more handling than most care for, I suppose. But it works for me.
Old July 6, 2014, 07:14 AM   #9
LE-28

Stainless steel pin tumbling is the ultimate. You have a mechanical and chemical action both going on it there. The cases pretty well have to come clean no matter what.
Old July 6, 2014, 07:34 AM   #10
1stmar

I bought a sonic cleaner and have been using it to clean brass the use my vibratory to shine, too much time on this. Dumping the sonic cleaner and getting a wet tumbler - 2 birds one stone.
Old July 6, 2014, 08:26 AM   #11
243winxb

See posts by Unclenick. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ight=unclenick
Old July 8, 2014, 07:30 PM   #12
salvadore

Quote:
I bought a sonic cleaner and have been using it to clean brass the use my vibratory to shine, too much time on this. Dumping the sonic cleaner and getting a wet tumbler - 2 birds one stone
I wet tumbled for 30+ years and my brass never got as clean as they do in my sonic cleaner.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:12 AM   #13
DelawareDevil

I use a Frankford Arsenal sonic cleaner (Was on sale at Walmart.com). I don't use commercial cleaners, instead I mix up 2 quarts of water, 2 cups of white vinegar, one tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of Dawn. I suspect the salt is to soften the water. Really dirty brass may take 2 or 3 cycles but they get clean. You have to separate your brass from the other cases. After rinsing and drying I tumble in Walnut shell media with metal polish for an hour or 2. Makes my brass look new.
Old July 11, 2014, 01:04 PM   #14
Wreck-n-Crew

I was about to post my findings on Lemon Juice as an alternative to Lemi-Shine. The results were awesome! Here is a picture of the results.....

Note: the camera does not do justice. They look brand new.

If you want to know what Lemi-Shine can do or just ran out you now have an a way to see results first hand or get by until you can get some more Lemi-Shine.

Guess people might wonder about my process? Same as Lemi-Shine posted by Nick here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=lemi+shine and used 20 drops of lemon juice with a few drops of dish liquid detergent.
Old July 11, 2014, 03:06 PM   #15
1stmar

These look shiny not just clean. I know the picture is not ideal. Just wondering if they are as shiny as they look. I haven't had a problem getting cases clean in a sonic cleaner but I have yet to see a way to get them shiny.
Old July 11, 2014, 08:07 PM   #16
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Just wondering if they are as shiny as they look. I haven't had a problem getting cases clean in a sonic cleaner but I have yet to see a way to get them shiny.
Yes they are real shiny. I did not use a flash. They look brand new! Wish I had a better camera