The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 24, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

Winchester Commemorative

A friend at work has a Winchester 94 commemorative, gold plated reciever, with a large star, "Texas" and 1845-1970 on the left side. The gun has been used, it has taken a couple of deer. The finish is starting to show some light wear, and he was asking me about its approximate value (knowing it does not have full collector value), its age, and if he should see about getting it refinished.

I figured it had to be made about 1970, and since it is used, with no box it would be worth only a little (if any) above an equal age and condition standard rifle, but I have no idea how much. He has no interest in selling, just looking for information. The rifle has not been used in years, and is likely not to go afield again, but did get used by a now deceased family member. It is a nice looking .30-30, and any info would be helpful. Thanks.
Old September 25, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Scorch

I am not sure about the Texas commemorative, but in general, Winchester commemoratives were produced at the factory for anyone who wanted to commemorate anything. They are generally just production guns with minor cosmetic changes, so they do not command a premium. So, as you guessed, same as a regular rifle or carbine 94.
Old September 25, 2008, 03:02 PM   #3
RJay

In 1970 Winchester made a Lone Star commemorative rifle and carbine.. The S C F list it at 495 new in box. But you 're right, it now is nothing more than a fancy hinting rifle maybe 50 to 75 over the going price for a plain Jane.