The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 14, 1999, 10:50 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: January 14, 1999
Location: Maine
Posts: 756

Can the barrel of a NFA registered
shotgun/rifle be replaced w/ a standard
langth barrel? In this case...can I
remove my 12" barrel from my shotgun and
replace it temporarily w/ a 24" barrel
for bird hunting. Direct e-mais welcom
as is ant/all pertinant halp/advice.

BlkHawk73 is offline  
Old May 15, 1999, 10:17 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 24,383
I can't think of any reason you can't put a long barrel on a SBR. When you swap back, you are not making an SBR since it is already registered as an SBR.

EDIT: I said SBR, but same for SBS or combo.


[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited May 15, 1999).]
James K is offline  
Old May 28, 1999, 03:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: April 22, 1999
Location: Chandler, Arizona, USA
Posts: 6,014
BlkHawk73 - Because your shot gun is an NFA firearm, you must still keep a copy of your Form 4 with you. The BATF regs. state that once a firearm's serial number has been registered NFA, it is forever NFA even with a legal length barrel. You're allowed to change barrels, (e.g. 12" barrel to 24" barrel) but you must still carry your paperwork.

Hope this clarifies things.

blades67 is offline  
Old June 3, 1999, 06:54 PM   #4
Join Date: October 27, 1998
Location: Chicago
Posts: 72
Slight correction on your facts...

The "once a X, always an X" applies only to machineguns (and some AOW and some post ban evil assault rifles).

You *can* write ATF and let them know that you have changed the configuration of a short bbl rifle or short bbl shotgun and that you would like it to be removed from the registry. Obviously this would be for a perm. change.

If you want to slap a 24" bbl on your SBS and go duck hunting with it, there is absolutely no problem with that.

Interesting comment "you must still keep a copy of your Form 4 with you". Interesting I say because there is NO federal requirement that you must have your paperwork with you when you're out shooting your guns (machinegun, whatever). Some state laws require you to have the paperwork, but a lot do not. And, again, there is no federal requirement to have the forms with you. Prudence dictates, however, that you keep a *copy* with you while shooting in case you run into problems with the local law.

danbrew :->
danbrew is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2020 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Page generated in 0.05856 seconds with 10 queries