The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 20, 2002, 11:18 PM   #1
Ron L

S&W 639 disassembly

I have a S&W 639 that I bought used. I don't have the original manual for the gun, just the generic manual from their website. The problem is that the generic manual doesn't really explain anything about the rear grip strap part. I can tell from an exploded view pic that there are parts in there. There's a section where there's some metal flashing around the edge and I'd like to take the part off and smooth over the edge of the part but I don't want to take it apart wothout knowing what's in there and how to get it apart and back together.

Does anybody know what parts are in there? (Appears to be hammer spring, guide bar, a few other parts.) Will everything spring out if I just remove the cover? How would I get the part off the rest of the grip frame in the first place? There only appears to be one pin at the bottom.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old March 20, 2002, 11:20 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

My memory has faded (and to think I once wrote a 10 page pager detailing the operation of every single part of the S&W pistol) but removal of the pin allows you to slip the grip off. I don't think anything "pops" out afterwards.