The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 24, 2002, 12:35 PM   #1
santino34

Nambu 14 Questions

Hi group. I recently purchased a Nambu 14 pistol and I really dont understand how to break it down for cleaning. Can anyone help me with some detailed instructions?

I also need some help in getting an approximate date of manufacture. Here is a description. It is blued with the large tigger gaurd and has the number 51342 stamped on the right side of the frame. 342 is stamped on other parts on the gun including the mag. There are some japanese characters stamped on the left side of the frame that I cant dechiper. I cant post a pic, but I can e mail one to anyone who is interested or can read the japanese characters for me.

And before I forget, does anyone know where I can find a Nambu Hoslter?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge
Old August 24, 2002, 10:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Santino34,

First, remove the magazine and retract the bolt to make sure the gun is not loaded. Then pull the trigger to release the firing pin.

Now, push forward on the button (firing pin spring guide) in the middle of the back of the round knurled part (cocking piece). Hold the button in while unscrewing the cocking piece.

When the cocking piece comes off, remove the two recoil springs, pull the trigger, and tip the gun up to let the firing pin, its spring and the guide come out to the rear. Now grasp the threads of the bolt and pull it out to the rear.

Press in on the magazine release (magazine is out) as hard as you can, press the barrel against a firm surface to push it back a little, and slide the trigger guard down. This lets the barrel and receiver (it is not a slide) come forward and off the frame. That is as far as you need to go for normal cleaning, though if the gun has been neglected you might want to remove the grips and made sure there is no rust underneath.

When reassembling, don't forget to install the locking block; without it the pistol is dangerous to fire.

HTH

Jim
Old August 25, 2002, 07:11 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Santino:
I have sent, by separate email, the disassem instructions, w/photos, Hope this will assist you

HJN
Old August 25, 2002, 03:39 PM   #4
santino34

Thanks Jim and Harley. Harley could you please resend that e mail to [email protected]. My old address was still listed on this site, but I just changed it to my new one. Thanks again