The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 21, 2018, 12:12 PM   #1
dchartier

Can't Remove Ejector Roll Pin From AR-15 BCG

Hello all,

I'm trying to check the headspace of my AR-15 build. I have a brand new Daniels Defense BCG, and I can't get the ejector roll pin out despite trying everything I can think of. I've used the Brownells ejector removal tool (https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod23114.aspx) and several 1/16" punches, including solid ones without the dimple at the need. I've tried depressing the ejector with the tool to all different degrees, from flush to the bolt face to barely depressed. I've also doused the pin and the hole with copious amounts of gun oil. Despite hammering at the pin pretty hard in all cases, it hasn't budged.

I'm reluctant to try hammering *really* hard on the pin; I've been burned doing that in the past.... Any suggestions on how I can get the roll pin out?

(Incidentally, when I built an AR-10 a few months ago, I had no trouble removing the ejector roll pin. I'm not sure why the same task seems impossible with this Daniels Defense 5.56 BCG.)

Thanks in advance.

Doug
Old December 21, 2018, 12:56 PM   #2
ed308

You need to put pressure on the ejector since it's under pressure due to the spring. I use a Wheeler Engineering Delta Series AR Armorers Vise which has a place to remove the pressure on the ejector when working on a bolt. Then use a punch to hammer out the pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUj-tKW5Eh0

I've never checked headspace on any AR that I build. Most people don't and rarely have a problem.
Old December 21, 2018, 04:34 PM   #3
HiBC

Not. sure what to tell you. You have the proper fixture to hold the bolt. I don't know if this is a factor,but 1.5 mm is .0595,and 1/16 is .0625. Whether by punch or by roll pin,that can cause a problem. If you beat real hard you will just scrap your punch.You might try a .050 punch and cut it short,maybe .200 of .050 dia,to see if you can move it.Without getting extreme,I favor heavier hammers.Light ones tend to peen more.

You might call DD. They may offer to swap bolts.

Ed 308, I recall buying a premium cut rifled name brand barrel for near $400.I had 5 bolts and a set of headspace gauges..Checking the bolts with a vee block and indicator,I got about .0015 variation across the bolts.,from rear face of the lugs to the bolt face
When I put the "No Go" in the chamber,I could spin all 5 bolts 360 degrees between my thumb and forefinger behind the "no go"

The barrelmaker said "Send it back to me" and took care of me.I bought a matching bolt .The barrel maker treated me well. Stuff happens.I won't trash him.

If you don't have the gauges and you don't check,you don't know you don't have a problem.

No disrespect intended,but cutting corners checking headspace really lowers your rating as a builder.

Last edited by HiBC; December 21, 2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old December 21, 2018, 06:26 PM   #4
stagpanther

Both the ejector and extractor are held under spring tension. I'm wondering if your ejector was properly aligned when it was installed both pins should come out fairly easily--shouldn't take any hard "banging" to get either one to come free as long as they are properly depressed when installed and uninstalled.
Old December 22, 2018, 02:38 PM   #5
ed308

If you don't have the gauges and you don't check, you don't know you don't have a problem. No disrespect intended, but cutting corners checking headspace really lowers your rating as a builder.

I only assemble ARs for myself. In the 25+ years of assembling ARs and over 20+ assembled, I've never experienced a head space problem in an AR. Maybe I'm lucky, but head space with an AR is not a common problem if you use quality parts. Not saying it can't happen, just not common. As a reloader, I inspect my brass carefully and work up loads for any new AR, rifle or pistol. They all get reduced loads to break-in a new barrel. And I think I would notice if I had a head space issue.

If worried about head space, get a matched bolt from your barrel manufacturer. If switching a barrel on a bolt rilfe, then absolutely check head space.
Old December 23, 2018, 04:27 AM   #6
HiBC

Spread out over the 20 rifles you have built,a set of headspace gauges is about $2 per rifle.

You do it your way,I'll do it mine.I don't worry about headspace.I check it. Nothing to worry about.

I do use quality parts. Same barrelmaker a number of national champions have used. Bolts were Colt and Les Baer. I'm not an econo parts guy.

I get the good stuff.I'm into quality and doing it the right way.Thats why I bought headspace gauges.

Last edited by HiBC; December 23, 2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old December 23, 2018, 05:08 AM   #7
Nathan

Have you tried the shorter starter punch and really whacked it?
Old December 23, 2018, 06:59 AM   #8
stagpanther

My guess is that the pin was driven in while the notch in the ejector was not properly aligned or under pressure--that pin should come out fairly easily (like iron sights on a rifle, they drift in one direction better, usually there's a countersink on the side to drift from)--if it doesn't; something's wrong. Like barrels that are overly-gassed, lots of bolts come with over-strong springs these days IMO, I've occasionally seen problems with cycling because of this.
Old December 23, 2018, 07:12 AM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
I get the good stuff.I'm into quality and doing it the right way.Thats why I bought headspace gauges.
I think we should break the headspace thing into a separate thread, no??

PS--to the OP; I would get a new bolt (or send it back); it simply should not have that much resistance to getting that pin out.