The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2009, 06:13 AM   #1
jesus5150

Dismantling a round

I want to drill a hole in a round so i can put it on a chain to hang from my Rear view mirror to keep gun safety on my mind at all times, but i have a few questions.

How do i get the bullet off of the casing safely?
When the powder is gone, will the primer have enough "Umph" to discharge and be dangerous?
Old February 10, 2009, 06:24 AM   #2
cgaengineer

Yes the primer will have enough umph to hurt you. Your best bet is to make a round without powder and a primer.
Old February 10, 2009, 06:26 AM   #3
jesus5150

I Have no experience in making rounds, and I only need one.
Old February 10, 2009, 06:41 AM   #4
cgaengineer

You will need to have someone make you one then. If you dismantle the round and try to replace the bullet, the bullet will be loose in the case and probably fall out...especially if its a pistol.

What caliber are you trying to make, I may be able to help you.
Old February 10, 2009, 07:15 AM   #5
jesus5150

Its A .40 Cal 165gr. with a flat top bullet. (Probably too much info, but i don't know what you need lol)
Old February 10, 2009, 07:26 AM   #6
cgaengineer

I dont have a .40 die. I plan to get one for a friend, but as of right now I cannot help you.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Sevens

This is an extremely easy operation for anyone who is a reloader, but it's very difficult and somewhat dangerous for anyone who doesn't have the tools. Actually, without the tools, it would be horribly difficult to make this round inert and also get it put back together and look "right."

Cheapest way for you to make this happen (properly!) would be to find a reloader the next time you are at some kind of public shooting range. Reloaders are easy to find... if they have their ammo in flip-top plastic boxes rather than cardboard factory boxes, he's a reloader.

Another option is to keep your eyes open at the checkout at gas stations and flea markets... lot of silly fake ammo keychain type deals to be found.

For a reloader, we take a loaded round and insert it in to a kinetic bullet puller. It's a plastic/aluminum "hammer" that uses inertia to remove the bullet safely. The bullet comes out, the powder is then dumped. The the primer is carefully removed with a sizing die or decapper, or even better, chamber the brass and pop the primer in a pistol.

Then, the mouth would be flared slightly with a reloading die, and the same bullet then seated and the case taper crimped with a seat/crimp die.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:30 AM   #8
rantingredneck

I can do you a .45ACP dummy round if you like (no charge). No .40 though. PM me if you want one.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 10, 2009, 10:17 AM   #9
cgaengineer

And I could do a 9mm, no charge. All you would need to do is fill it with glue in the end and insert an "I bolt, or eyelit". You might find it easier to drill out primer hole a bit to make the glue easier to pour in.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:56 AM   #10
cgaengineer

delete this reply...
Old February 10, 2009, 11:45 AM   #11
kle

http://mle-shootingsports.com/Cartri...duct_info.html -- or you could buy one...
Old February 10, 2009, 11:58 AM   #12
oneounceload

A lot of convenience stores used to have them at the register near the lighters - on a little key chain deal
Old February 10, 2009, 12:24 PM   #13
madmo44mag

One way I can think of that's not the safest thing would be soak the round in penetrating oil for a week.
Then carefully drill a hole through the bullet while it is resting on a very soft surface.
Keep your head out of the way.
Once you have the hole, pour more penetrating oil inside and allow to soak.
Then install what ever it is you want to hold the round by.
The best way would get a dummy round from a reloader but if you can't find one, here is one way
Old February 10, 2009, 10:26 PM   #14
wpcexpert

Funny play on words...I thought

Quote:
I want to drill a hole in a round so i can put it on a chain to hang...
I thought that could be a funny play on words.

Please don't try and drill a hole in the live round. Your best bet is to throw up a thread asking for someone that loads .40 S&W. Ask them what they want for a inert round and pay for shipping.

Unless you are really stuck on having a .40, the novilty rounds will be just as good. Like this...
http://bulletkeychainsetc.com/pistol.html
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 10, 2009, 10:38 PM   #15
CrustyFN

Quote:
One way I can think of that's not the safest thing would be soak the round in penetrating oil for a week.
Then carefully drill a hole through the bullet while it is resting on a very soft surface.
Old February 11, 2009, 11:13 AM   #16
SL1

Do NOT drill holes in live rounds!!!

Quote:
Soaking live cartridges in oil, even for weeks, is not a reliable way to make the primer and powder inert. This is especially true for 40 S&W cartridges and others that are intended for self-defense use, because they are often sealed to prevent excessive lubricating oils in the gun from making the round unreliable.

AND, drilling into powder or primer CAN set it off. If the happens, the bullet doesn't shoot out of the case, as it would if the case was properly supported in the chamber of a firearm. Instead, the cartridge case blows up like a little bomb, throwing brass shrapnel in your face, cutting off fingers, etc.

So, either find one commercially or get somebody on one of these forums to make you one and send it to you.

With regard to making one. Typically, the primer is left out and some sort of key-chain or other string is passed through the flash-hole and empty primer pocket. Is that what you want? Or do you want a DUMMY primer and one or two holes dilled through the case to attach the string or chain for hanging it?

SL1
Old February 15, 2009, 05:04 AM   #17
jesus5150

My original thought was...

To drill a horizontal hole just below the bullet so it could hang from a dog tag style chain, I caught my first ever fired round when it was ejected, and will be putting it on the other side of the tags. The metaphore being the difference between life and the loss there of is only that little bit. A daily reminder to think long and hard before pulling the trigger. I Really want it to be my physical round, or at the VERY least a look alike .40 cal. I appreciate your offers, I suppose i'll just have to bribe a local reloader. Maybe two pairs of needle nose pliers? Probably squish it huh....