The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2009, 11:47 PM   #1
Tex S

45 auto nomenclature

After quite a bit of observing in this forum, I have heard many different names for loads. It ranges from target, powderpuff, midrange, hardball,+p, +p+, etc. What does all this mean? Is there certain velocities where these different nicknames start and stop? I am confused...
Old February 16, 2009, 12:20 AM   #2
rwilson452

A target load is a load developed specifically to use of target shooting. Usually a lighter load than a full power load generally with a lighter bullet. A typical target bullet would be 165-200 gr in weight. a full combat bullet is usually 230 gr. A powderpuff load is a very light charge and the lightest bullet you can use. thus giving the lightest recoil. +p and +p+ are cartridges that reach pressure levels in excess of the original pressure specifications. it's not about velocity it's about pressure and recoil. As I understand it the +p and +p+ got started with the .38SPL and the original guns couldn't take the pressure that a modern 38spl can. Then with the ability to load a 38spl in a .357 that has a much greater pressure ability. a midrange load is just that. a load between a light target type load and a full power load. a full power .45ACP will drive a 230 gr bullet at 850 FPS Hardball is another name for a FMJ bullet. some target pistols will only work with "hardball" ammo so they are called hardball guns.

Quote:
45 auto nomenclature
After quite a bit of observing in this forum, I have heard many different names for loads. It ranges from target, powderpuff, midrange, hardball,+p, +p+, etc. What does all this mean? Is there certain velocities where these different nicknames start and stop? I am confused...
Old February 16, 2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Shoney

TexS

There are only 4 SAAMI (Sporting Arms & Ammunition Manufactures' Institute) designations of +P and NO +P+ exist

Cartridge and Maximum Average Pressure (PSI)

9mm Luger 35,000
9mm Luger +P 38,500

38 Special 17,000
38 Special +P 18,500

38 Super Auto +P 36,500

45 Auto 21,000
45 Auto +P 23,000

For a better understanding of terms, here are two compendiums of reloading terms:
http://www.saami.org/Glossary/display.cfm?letter=C
http://www.snipercountry.com/Comp.htm

Hope this helps!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 16, 2009, 02:29 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

There are loadings by Winchester-Western division of Olin Co. that are outside of the SAAMI specification. This is in area's where no reloader should go.

Those cartridges are loaded to U.S. Treasury Department spec's. The 38 special +P+ is loaded to 15% over the +P standard (approximately 23,500C.U.P.).

If you need that power level get a bigger gun.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; February 16, 2009 at 04:09 PM.