The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Skans

Kahr K9....love 'em, hate 'em or ehhhh....

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of the Kahr K9. I bought one about 2 years ago. It was an impulse buy - never really had a need or want for one, but the price seemed right.

I looked on Gunbroker, and not one person is bidding on any Kahr K9's. Not a lot of demand for them, from what I can tell.

I haven't shot it; but the trigger feels good for DAO. Just wondering what others think about the K9?
Old February 19, 2016, 05:26 PM   #2
PSP

I've had two K9s. The first was an early slab side in black. A very solid gun in an attractive, compact package. I did not like the original standard K9 trigger because it felt too long and when combined with the short trigger reach, it just seemed as though the trigger would never break. Otherwise I liked it.

The second K9 had an elite trigger installed and it made a huge difference to me. The nature of the gun changed to a tight, solid, no flaw jewel. Combined with a CT laser grip, this is a very competent carry gun.

A little heavy in the world of polymer lightweights that have exploded onto the scene, including Kahr's own P9, but if one wants a metal gun, the K9 is one to consider.
Old February 19, 2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Ike666

I bought one very early on, between the release of the K9 and the K40. I used it for everyday carry for several years swapping out from a full size 1911.

It was my first DAO pistol and I agree with PSP about the trigger. It took a lot of practice to get the trigger pull ingrained in muscle memory. Other than that, I really liked the pistol.

It has spent more time in the safe for the last several years just because of the lighter and higher capacity 9s out there. I'll still carry it every now and then and have no plans to dispose of it, but I probably only shoot it about once every 18 months.
Old February 19, 2016, 06:29 PM   #4
Nail Shooter

I bought an early Kahr MK9. Was the smallest 9mm on the market at the time.
Waay more accurate than it should be for a gun that small. Excellent reliability too. It's just too heavy for how many rounds that it carries. I can carry a baby Glock that holds 4-5 more rounds for the same weight so that's what I carry now.
Old February 19, 2016, 07:28 PM   #5
Dan-O

Have a K9 and an MK9. Like others have said, they are way heavy for the number of rounds you get. Don't really carry either one much anymore, but they are dead nuts accurate and pleasant to shoot all afternoon.
Old February 19, 2016, 09:49 PM   #6
SpareMag

Mine is a police trade-in, has been stone-axe reliable and as noted, for its size, very accurate.

The weight controls the cartridge well, and the grips make a very good fit for my hand. It was certainly worth what I paid for it.
Old February 19, 2016, 10:34 PM   #7
rickmelear

I've carried a P9 IWB for 10 years, great gun but if I could find a K9 cheap I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Only down side is the additional weight.
Old February 20, 2016, 06:49 AM   #8
ROCK6

Mine is about 20 years old:

It was originally all black, but had a guy put on a silver tenifer coating on it.

It's been reliable and extremely accurate. I love the size, very comfortable for shooting. The only detractor is the weight for such a small pistol; the reason I typically carry a lighter CM9. With an good belt and OWB holster, it's still a great "suit" carry gun.

ROCK6
Old February 20, 2016, 07:29 AM   #9
Nathan

Great gun...really, one of the best designs...I have the P40.

...but, for me, what is the use case? I could CCW it, but I carry a 1911 CCO. It fits my figure.

I also train with my backup carry that is a P40 DLC w/ night sights. It is a great light CCW. Instead the nastiness of August sweat box, it can be my primary in a Spartan holster in light clothes.

So, the K9....IMO, Kahr should spend their effort marketing to women. Women usually have smaller hands. Women usually carry appendix or OWB. Both would support the added weight better. Women usually have lower strength to resist recoil...the K9's added oz would help....I hope i didn't come off to stereotypical, but this is what I see at the range. 1 of the best shooters I know is a woman. She used a slightly heavier small sig for IDPA and was really fast. It was all in smoothness and economy of motion.

So, yese, I think the k9 is a great gun, but I won't be buying unless or a daughter.
Old February 20, 2016, 07:34 AM   #10
tlm225

Mine is a K40 rather than a K9 that I've owned and carried it for several years. As a dyed in the wool revolver shooter I found the DA trigger to be excellent both in the pull weight and smoothness right out of the box. The functional reliability has been 100% and accuracy excellent for this size gun. While a bit to heavy for pocket carry, belt carry IWB or OWB makes the weight insignificant. It has been my primary off-duty weapon all this time because of it's attributes. While I'm now transitioning to a lightweight commander .45 for accuracy at longer distances, the K40 will continue to be there for carry.
Old February 20, 2016, 10:32 AM   #11
Sgt127

I've owned several K9's a K40 a MK9 and still own a PM9.

The K40 was problematic. Never was as reliable as I would have wanted. The rounds coming out of the mag would hit the slide stop. Two trips back to Kahr. 3 different slide stops couldn't fix it. 5 different magazines. "Something" was just off with that gun.

MK9 just too heavy for what it was. Great gun, just didn't quite do it for me.

The K9 on the other hand, utterly reliable and, for me, the most ergonomic gun I've ever dropped in my hand. Literally feels like it was made for my specific hand.

I'm an old revolver shooter so for me, the Kahr trigger is very good.

Gave my last one away to a friend. I'll buy another one.
Old February 20, 2016, 12:14 PM   #12
vyse.04

I liked my K9 that I had a few years back. Never had an issue with it, and I like that small metal frame handguns are still being made.

When they first came to the market, there really wasn't much competition. With so many companies making single stack CC pistols, the added weight of metal becomes a negative for most people. The K9 was perfect in size for me, but it is too large for someone looking for pocket carry. Sales from the PM9 definitely took away from the other models Kahr made, and as such the K/MK Series have been harder to find. I'm sure that I will always remain a fan of them, and may pick up a MK9 on down the road.
Old February 20, 2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Ocraknife

I loved mine, it felt great and I could shoot it accurately but it had a lot feeding and ejection issues and as a carry gun I just didn't trust it. That can happen with any given gun from a model and I don't think it is endemic to the K9 but I got rid of it anyway. That said I've been wanted to give it another try.

-Jimro
Old February 20, 2016, 07:32 PM   #14
Mosin44az

Kahrs shoot very nicely for their size, and it's a handsome gun.

Having owned 4, including a K9 Elite, I am not a fan of the brand. They seem to have focused on every aspect of making a good gun EXCEPT reliability . In my opinion, they are built way too tight, need a huge break-in period, and even then are balanced on the razor's edge of reliable functioning where holding them just a bit off, using any ammo marginally different from their sweet spot, etc., makes them malfunction just often enough to not be relied upon for defense.

On one of the Kahr forums you can see the elaborate 10-step lubrication process their members recommend. This is a red flag if ever there was one. You don't see Glock forums doing that.....

This is probably less true for the original size and caliber, which would be the K9 and by extension the P9. Except for a truly frustrating P380, my others, including a PM9 and CM9, could be best characterized as "finicky." Finicky doesn't cut it. So I would not be bidding on your Kahr.....
Old February 20, 2016, 10:29 PM   #15
chris in va

The K9 was Justin Moon's original and arguably best design. It's reliable and a solid gun. I have a weird one, called the 'Special Edition'. Carbon steel black slide, 1/2" NYC trigger pull, stainless frame. It was $200 less than the Elite and frankly I don't have a problem with the longer pull. I actually shoot it better than my SAO 45.
Old February 21, 2016, 08:50 AM   #16
PSP

Quote:
On one of the Kahr forums you can see the elaborate 10-step lubrication process their members recommend. This is a red flag if ever there was one.
:

Elaborate? What is elaborate about placing lube where lube belongs? They are essentially the same spots you'd lube your Glock or any other pistol for that matter. If a helpful diagram is a red flag, then owner manuals must send chills down your spine.
Old February 21, 2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Mosin44az

Spoken like a True Believer, PSP.
Old February 21, 2016, 06:11 PM   #18
PSP

Thank you.
Old February 21, 2016, 07:16 PM   #19
Darker Loaf

My Kahr K9 is one of the most reliable pistols I've ever owned. Mine is a K9 Elite (better trigger, polished feed ramp), but K9's and T9's are all great guns. It is my EDC gun; that or a S&W 986.

I've put thousands of rounds through mine without a hiccup. The only other gun I own with that status of zero failures is a Rock River Arms Elite Operator 2 AR-15. See? You just have to buy guns with "Elite" in the name. Har-har-har.

This is not to say that I haven't had problems with Kahr's. I've owned a CW9 and P9 (similar form factor but differing quality levels), but they both had numerous feeding issues, especially with hollow points (though certain "square" or really wide-nosed hollow points will jam my K9, too).

I've shot other people's CW 9's without issue. I've shot a PM9 that was pretty nice. I'd love to buy a P380. They are so small, I really want one to replace my K9 as IWB carrry. My K9 is now a shoulder carry gun, which I LOVE. In general, I'd stick with the steel frame Kahr's if you are reliability nut like I am, but like I said, I really like the form factor of the P380's so I might have to chance a plastic Kahr again.
Old February 21, 2016, 07:26 PM   #20
Darker Loaf

K9 2003 Elite with Kahr extended ported barrel and pau ferro reduced radius grips (to be of similar radius as the factory rubber grips).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kahr 9 EDC cropped.jpg (193.5 KB, 58 views)
Old February 21, 2016, 07:35 PM   #21
Darker Loaf

I agree with what others are saying about the gun, though. It is heavy for what it is. IWB a K9 can get pretty heavy, in my opinion. The thickness is just about perfect (with factory or reduced grips), though for a IWB gun. I just bought a Galco Miami Class shoulder holster for my K9 and I think I'll never go back to IWB carry except with smaller, thinner guns... which doesn't leave me many options for IWB.

I'm not sure what people are saying about a break-in period on K9's or that they are tight. I've found neither to be the case. My K9 Elite rattles like a loose 1911. I can see plenty of daylight through mine. They just remind me of metal framed Glocks, honestly.

The double-action-only-esque trigger is good for what it is. It is about as smooth as you'd get on a nice DA revolver. But, most new shooters won't like it or be good at it. It takes some getting used to for sure, but my K9 taught me to revolver shoot in DA, essentially. You get used to staging the trigger. Rapid fire is a bit tricky to stay on target with long and relatively heavy trigger pull.

For me, the quality has been lacking on the plastic Kahr's rather than the steel ones, but who knows? Maybe I've just been lucky with the steel framed Kahrs that I've seen (or unlucky with the plastic ones?).
Old February 21, 2016, 07:38 PM   #22
Darker Loaf

Oh, and I do recommend the Elite. The trigger is definitely nicer. Kahr triggers are all sort of similar and pretty nice in general, other than the long length of pull, they are really smooth.

I'm not sure about the new generation of Kahrs coming out though. Maybe we will see different quality levels.
Old February 21, 2016, 07:43 PM   #23
kozak6

I have an MK9.

I'm very impressed with it. I'd buy a K9 or K40 if I saw a good deal.

It's bafflingly accurate. By all means, it really shouldn't be so accurate. It's TINY. Then you look at the target and there are holes touching.

It's also pleasant enough to shoot for a subcompact 9. I could put a few hundred rounds through it in an afternoon without much difficulty.

The ergonomics are also excellent and it points very well.

I don't mind the trigger. It's not a race gun. A slightly longer pull is fine on a CCW piece. It's super smooth, and stacks right before it breaks. This makes it easy to predict and shoot. It's almost like a two stage trigger.

I'm only a couple hundred rounds in, but I'd say reliability is good to fair. It works perfectly with the 6 round magazine, but tends to lock open prematurely when used with the 7 round magazine.

Although they are great pistols, they are unpopular for a few reasons. They are expensive new, DAO is currently unfashionable, the polymer framed models don't get good reviews and the steel frames are perceived as too heavy.

I think using the DAO label for a pretensioned striker was a mistake. It implies a very heavy true DA pull, which isn't the case at all. I've pulled (admittedly terrible) single action triggers that were longer and harder than the Kahr's trigger.

Quote:
So, the K9....IMO, Kahr should spend their effort marketing to women.
Kahr springs are very heavy. My father even has a hard time with them. I wonder if a .380 in a larger frame LC380 style would be a good option.
Old February 21, 2016, 08:06 PM   #24
PSP

Quote:
I'm not sure what people are saying about a break-in period on K9's or that they are tight. I've found neither to be the case. My K9 Elite rattles like a loose 1911. I can see plenty of daylight through mine. They just remind me of metal framed Glocks, honestly.
I agree totally. of my eight Kahrs, none have been what I'd call tight. They all get used at the range. is that break-in? I don't file, fluff, buff or rack 1000 times. I just shoot them.

Quote:
Kahr should spend their effort marketing to women.
Kahr did, many years ago, come out with the K9 Lady K, whose main difference was a lighter, 16#, recoil spring. you see them for sale from time to time.

Last edited by PSP; February 21, 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old February 21, 2016, 08:43 PM   #25
5whiskey

Quote:
They seem to have focused on every aspect of making a good gun EXCEPT reliability.
You must have extremely bad luck to have four lemons. I have owned two and shot 3 other ones and I have not had, seen, or heard of any issues (excluding internet forums). I've owned a CW9 and a CM9. I've borrowed the PM9 from a co-worker when I needed a UC with night sights before we were issued Sig P290's at work. Another friend carries a P40 for off-duty.

My CM9 had a couple of failures in the first 4 or 5 magazines. Nothing since, and I've put about 2k rounds through it. My CW9 never had any malfunction, even during break in. I don't practice any kind of crazy maintenance other than I dab a little grease on the slide and make sure everything that could rust has a light coat of CLP on it.