The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 19, 2010, 08:42 PM   #1
usafvet98

Location: I grew up in Long Branch, NJ and moved to North East PA about 5 years ago.
Spanish top-break id and parts needed please..

Posted under revolvers as well!!

Can anyone tell me what this is? It is a .32 top-break originally stainless but I recently refinished it for the customer in stainless and black. The only markings on it are the serial number and small on the frame under the cylinder it says "Spain" and and on the exact opposite (left side) it has a small what appears to be a fox and that's it.

Here is what I know: I know it is cheap and not worth much. I know many of these top breaks were sent over to Spain and Europe to be manufactured.

The main point is, I need to locate two parts:

1) trigger return spring (not so important)
and
2) cylinder hand (very important) The cylinder hand had a small thin piece of wire attached to the back end that was used to spring it forward so it can turn the cylinder. The wire broke off and it is unrepairable.

I could probably use a trigger too, but not a necessity.

I want to get this back to this customer ASAP so any help would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb237/bevichin
/get-attachmentaspx.jpg[/IMG]

Old October 20, 2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

1st... the gun looks very nice, is it duracoated ??? but like the saying of "lipstick on a pig" many of those Spanish import revolvers were not safe to fire when they were new, often the steels were not up to the task, the chambers & bores can be way out of spec, etc.... also the gun was likely nickel, as far as I know, no top breaks were stainless...

trouble with replacement parts, is the spanish guns were not all made in one or two major plants, it was more a "cottage industry" then, with many, many home shops either building complete guns by hand, or each making parts to be assembled into one gun... there are several different designs, & styles, often one gun will be different between consecutive serial numbers... even if you can find parts that are similar, they will likely require extensive hand fitting

but here are a couple options...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=195891761

I went through Gun Broker looking for a spanish top break in 32, but didn't find one listed right now, but there is nearly always one on there... if you can find one that seems to look the same, & works, maybe buy that one as spare parts
Old October 20, 2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Steel?

Many of the Spanish guns didn't use steel, they used soft wrought iron, even in their copies of the Hand Ejector S&Ws.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 20, 2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

of course you are right MIKE... I should have said iron
Old October 20, 2010, 08:48 AM   #5
usafvet98

Location: I grew up in Long Branch, NJ and moved to North East PA about 5 years ago.
Thanks for the input guys. This customer I have has a ton of these older worthless guns and does not care about the cost to restore them. I duracoated this one for him in the Dura Coat stainless steel color they have. I have to say it looks nothing like ss but I still like the finish.