The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Sixer

.30 Carbine Brass

I'm just getting set up to start reloading and I really want to start off with .30 Carbine ammo. So far I'm having a hard time finding brass and projectiles. I've searched dozens of websites but can't seem to find much. Does anyone know of a good source for .30 Carbine brass and bullets? Thanks!
Old February 2, 2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Crosshair

Well, the Berrys plated bullets are relatively cheap and work well in my experience.

Berrys 30 Carbine Bullet.

Brass is going to be a bit harder. Many places are out of once fired.
Old February 2, 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Qtiphky

Cabela's

I just ordered some from cabelas.com. A little more expensive than some other places, but they had it in stock.
Old February 2, 2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Crosshair

Of course the 30 carbine is a straight wall case, so with carbide dies you will get quite a few reloads per case. Many more than with a bottleneck case.
Old February 2, 2009, 10:19 PM   #5
firewrench044

Midway has the brass, Graf & Sons has Sierra pro hunter FMJ in stock, I
did not check any further
I think Berry"s bullets are plated, tried them but could not get a good patern
and still operate the gas system, you do not need this type of problem with
your first try at loading

My carbine is picky it does not like hard primers (CCIs ) and it does not like
plated bullets, it likes Rem., Win., or Sierra, I also have had tighter paterns with Win.296 and H110 burns dirtier in my carbine
Old February 2, 2009, 11:44 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

actually, it is not a straight walled case

The .30m carbine case has a very slight taper, about .02 from the head to the mouth. I don't know if they still do, but in the old days, they used to recommend lightly lubing the cases, even when using carbide dies.

Lead (cast or swaged) bullets should not be used in the carbine, as fouling can clog the gas port. Jacketed or plated bullets will do better.
Old February 3, 2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Sevens

If you don't use lube, you will stick a piece of brass in a carbide die when sizing .30 Carbine.

There's no doubt that it's tapered, it's one of the toughest cases to resize out there.
Old February 3, 2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I use a 100 grain plinker bullet for most of my reloads ( speer maybe ??? )

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=618190

also use these short jackets...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=222789

both of the bullets listed above work well, & are almost like shooting gas checked cast bullets with less hastle...but you can also find lots of 100-110 grain fmj bullets listed here...

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...9016***7243***
at
as far as brass... most of mine is Remington, bought as yellow box loaded ammo & saved... a quick look at Midways listing for 30 Carbine, shows Remington on back order, but available soon, & Remington nickle plated available

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*670***9013***

Midsouth has Remington brass in stock...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...52%42%49%4E%45

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 3, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old February 3, 2009, 09:00 AM   #9
sundog

Cast works just fine in the 30 carbine.
Old February 3, 2009, 10:43 AM   #10
lmccrock

My experience with 30 carbine was that the cases needed to be trimmed after about 2 reloadings. Sizing stretches them enough that they no longer chamber, in a carbine or a Blackhawk. That was with an RCBS die. Especially fun in the Blackhawk as I wondered why the cylinder bound up and would not turn - rounds too long and they were dragging on the frame.

My source of brass was buying ammo and saving the cases, although that was some years ago. I bought some brass at a gun show (long time ago), and it was pretty bad. The primer pockets were loose and shallow so I trashed the lot. I do not remember the brand, but it was nickel plated.

Lee
Old February 3, 2009, 11:55 AM   #11
GerryG

Be careful of LC52 brass. Some were made by Comm. China and were berdan primed.

Gerry
Old February 3, 2009, 08:12 PM   #12
Crosshair

Quote:
The .30m carbine case has a very slight taper, about .02 from the head to the mouth. I don't know if they still do, but in the old days, they used to recommend lightly lubing the cases, even when using carbide dies.
OK, yes a slight taper. My point was that you tend to get quite a few more reloads out of a 30 carbine vs a .223 or such bottleneck cartridges.
Old February 3, 2009, 10:24 PM   #13
wncchester

"OK, yes a slight taper. My point was that you tend to get quite a few more reloads out of a 30 carbine vs a .223 or such bottleneck cartridges."

That's not been my experiece, especially with carbide sizers. A carbide die MAKES IT A STRAIGHT WALLED CASE and that means the midsection is sized much more than it would be in a proper steel die. Cases fail when the middle splits and that doesn't take a lot of loads, at least for me. I went back to my old steel die because of the rapid case failure rate.