The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 11, 2011, 08:02 AM   #1
LafeHubert

Curios & Relics in California

Hi. I have the package of forms from the BATFE for a C&R license, which was sent from Dublin, Ca. to me in Paradise, Ca. I have been given a great deal of conflicting information about my plan to use the C&R license to purchase more rifles for my pre-to-Great War rifle collection. I have been told that California State law makes what I want to do impossible. I can see problems if I was transferring anything to the public, but this is just for old me, and the Government knows everything about me. I'll do the fingerprints, pay the fees. I would just like to know what the skinny is on this business. My appreciation is offered in advance.
Old March 11, 2011, 08:54 AM   #2
madmo44mag

I can't help ya but I do want to wish you luck.
I live in the free state of Texas and hold an 03 C&R and I have no problems buying C&R guns.
My prayer go out for ya and I hope you are able to see you plan through.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Hardcase

You can directly receive any firearm that cannot be readily concealed on your person (a long gun, basically) that is both a federally defined curio or relic and is 50 years old or older. In particular, that means that firearms that are on the C&R list, but less than 50 years old can't be shipped directly to you. Interestingly, you can receive these guns, not because you have a C&R license, but because California specifically exempts those guns from its "gotta go through an 01FFL" requirement. Of course, having an 03FFL makes it possible to receive them across state lines.

You cannot directly receive a handgun or concealable weapon. It's got to go through an 01FFL. You can only purchase one handgun per month unless you have a certificate of eligibility along with your C&R (still, though, only through an 01FFL.) You still have to do the DROS and wait 10 days. If you have not CoE, you'll need the background check, too.

Antiques appear to have no restrictions.

Your best bet is to contact the California Department of Justice if you want to have absolute peace of mind.
Old March 11, 2011, 12:41 PM   #4
emcon5

If all you want to do is buy old rifles, you are fine.

Quote:
You cannot directly receive a handgun or concealable weapon. It's got to go through an 01FFL. You can only purchase one handgun per month unless you have a certificate of eligibility along with your C&R (still, though, only through an 01FFL.) You still have to do the DROS and wait 10 days. If you have not CoE, you'll need the background check, too.
You can, however get any C&R, if you are outside of California. For handguns, you need to register them when you come to CA.

The exception would be something California considers an assault weapon, such as the Yugo SKS with the grenade launcher. Read and know the Calguns Assault weapon flow chart if you are buying any semi-auto C&R.
Old March 12, 2011, 05:19 PM   #5
thrgunsmith

your best source for info would be calguns.net - they have a huge C&R community as well as cutting edge info on 2A info.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:53 PM   #6
thrgunsmith

the reason I recommend calguns is they are CA based like yourself
Old March 12, 2011, 09:53 PM   #7
emcon5

Good advice.
Old March 18, 2011, 02:36 PM   #8
deadcoyote

I'm a CA C&R reject like yourself. It's a good tool for purchasing rifles through the mail, but the handguns must go through an FFL, regardless of if its aperson to person or mail purchase. You can go out of state and buy C&R handguns, bring em back, and you have five days to mail in a registration form with $19 bucks. I nknow the travel adds cost, but anytime I go to Souther OR to visit the in laws I go shopping. It even keeps me out of the in-laws house (wink/wink)!!!