The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 19, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Tex S

Liberty "National Security 40"

Seems like a nice safe. Very good looking... hell, even the wife liked it.

Awfully expensive though. Is Liberty attempting to take me for a ride, or is this safe really worth the cash?

Are there other safes that are comparable? I really like the following features...
1)Awesome paint job and decals
2)Adjustable shelving
3)LED lighting
4)the organizer that goes on the back of the door
5)jewelry box

I can get one locally for $5600 installed. Is this safe worth the money???
Old June 19, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Moved to General Duscussion at OPs request, hoping for more exposure...
Old June 20, 2012, 12:00 AM   #3
kilimanjaro

Liberty makes a good safe. Shop around for a better deal, maybe, it's up to you. Last time I moved my big safe, I emptied it out, hired a local office moving firm for $80, got it put on the truck, moved a few miles, taken off and put in the garage where it resides.

I think Liberty drop ships to your door.
Old June 20, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

To confirm, Liberty has an online storefront, and offers curbside delivery. Their big 64-gun model is $2400 delivered. You can get some local guys to get it inside for you with a pallet jack. I've moved them across a floor by putting a piece of carpet underneath, then one guys pushes, the other pulls it along, works fine.
Old June 20, 2012, 06:23 AM   #5
rebs

That seems like a lot of money to me, but its your money so buy what you like and want. I believe better deals can be found if you shop around. As for the jewelry box, what I did was bolt a small second safe to the floor inside my gun safe for a little extra security. I also added this sign on the front of my gun safe

" this safe is protected by 220 volts of electricity with a mercury switch inside, any attempt to move or break into this safe will trigger the mercury switch and charge the safe with enough current to kill you"
I ran a 220 line from my breaker box into the back of the safe so a thief will see it, But it is not hooked up. I don't know what the law would involve if it was hooked up and a thief got killed.

That being said, any safe can be broken into if the thief knows what he is doing and given enough time to do it.
Old June 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I don't know what the law would involve if it was hooked up and a thief got killed."

Actual booby trap incidents that have injured or killed intruders normally don't end well for the person who set the trap, even if there is a warning.

My former father in law, an attorney, had a very heavy duty Mosler in his basement with a sign on it. "This safe contains ONLY wills and related papers for my clients. It contains no valuables of any kind."

Don't know if the sign would deter anyone, but the Mosler certainly would have. It was one of the kind used by the Government for protecting classified information and the like.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 20, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
1)Awesome paint job and decals
2)Adjustable shelving
3)LED lighting
4)the organizer that goes on the back of the door
5)jewelry box
NONE of those reasons are reasons I would be looking for when buying a safe, (or more properly, RSC). I want protection from breaking into it and then a good fire protection rating. Everything else as listed above I can do myself.

I have a National Security model - before they became owned by Liberty and it works well. It's nice, looks nice, etc, and 25 years ago when I bought it, I thought all RSC's were the same. But I was easily able to drill a hole through the back from the inside to run a Goldenrod - took me about 2 minutes

Remember to always allow for collection expansion - it just seems to happen
Old June 20, 2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Tex S

Quote:
NONE of those reasons are reasons I would be looking for when buying a safe, (or more properly, RSC). I want protection from breaking into it and then a good fire protection rating. Everything else as listed above I can do myself.
I guess I should have been more clear... security is obviously of great concern, but I think the National Security sports some pretty good security features. 7 gauge steel, bolts on all four sides, and a hefty fire rating. Isn't this about all you can ask for in a RSC?

What I really would like to know is if the "bells and whistles" on this safe justify the high price when compared to other manufacturers. I have not seen many others with the same amount of features.
Old June 20, 2012, 10:31 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

Hopefully your wife will be able to remove the jewelry box to play with the contents, otherwise, it's not adding much to the function, in my opinion.
Old June 21, 2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Technosavant

Gotta say, I'd not be eager to drop five grand on a single safe.

That's about what I paid for a pair of American Security BF6030s, delivered and installed. They're going to protect every bit as well as that National Security, and the LED lights and drawer setup can always be added.

An added bonus to a pair of safes over one really big one: if a thief decides to REALLY make the effort to crack the thing, he's going to invest plenty of time and make a bunch of noise doing it. Even then, he's only now into ONE of them. He's got to do it all over again if he wants to try for #2. That's practically screaming aloud for someone to call the police or for the owner to return home to catch him in the act.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Sigowner

I just did a quick read-thru and comparison of National Security to Fort Knox. Personally, I believe the Fort Knox is superior. For example.....composite door vs a reinforced door. Composite doors may not be as strong due to the reliance on the bent steel vs solid sheet. Fire rating at 1200 is just above the average high-end temps that a house fire can get to. Two hours time may not be sufficient with a 1200 degree rating. Also, the increased fire rating increases the thickness of the body and reduces overall available space. I do not see mention of corner bolts anywhere in their specs.

I bought a Fort Knox a few months ago and it was $5200 installed including the LED lighting, door organizer plus a 3/4" body and 1" door using Armaknox steel which is 3 times harder than the standard steel used by virtually all safe manufacturers.
Old June 21, 2012, 12:06 PM   #12
rebs

Quote:
"I don't know what the law would involve if it was hooked up and a thief got killed."

Actual booby trap incidents that have injured or killed intruders normally don't end well for the person who set the trap, even if there is a warning.
Thats why I do not have it hooked up to the electric, mainly just a fear factor that may make them decide to pass it up.