The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
the rifleer

Gun show prices

I am in the market for a shotgun. There is a somewhat local gun show that i plan to attend soon and i am wondering what to expect. The last time i went i went specifically for one rifle and did not pay attention to prices. What do shotguns generally sell for at a gun show compared to MSRP? higher, lower, same?

How much less do used gun usually sell for if they are in excellent condition?

thanks
Old March 19, 2009, 09:37 AM   #2
RetiredLawman

I go to gun shows to socialize, not to buy. There are no bargains at gun shows. Old, crappy guns extremely overpriced. Look for people in the aisles that are trying to sell. They don't have booth rent to pay and they wander around until someone makes them a decent offer. You'll get your best offers in the parking lot but I always go inside before I buy. It is hard to get a decent price at a booth table. Some of these booth watchers have the personality of a junk yard dog.

Funerals, weddings, and gun shows are great places to socialize and meet friends that you haven't seen since the last event. It is not a place to buy shotguns, IMHO.
Old March 19, 2009, 09:58 AM   #3
TridentOne

In VA at the gun shows the prices are usually higher than local stores. I can't see how one can travel with all that stuff and charge the same prices or better anyhow. However, my experience at the shows is some vendors will "sale price" the gun by not charging you the sales tax, so you get the gun at the price tag price, which could be equal to a gun store or a few dollars more but less than the $50.00 a $1000 pistol will cost in sales tax.
Old March 19, 2009, 11:35 AM   #4
BigJimP

It depends on what you're looking for ...

If you're looking for a "field grade" shotgun - pump or semi-auto / you'll see a lot of guns at my local show - and prices are fair. Average on a very good gun - maybe 20% less than MSRP - but its virtually the same you would pay in a good local gun store / that deals in used guns.

On "target grade" guns - there is little or nothing in terms of decent guns at the gun shows. Those guns are sold thru retail outlets on consignment, thru gun club boards or by word of mouth.

You have to know what you're looking for in a gun / if you're going to buy at a gunshow - there is a lot of junk out there / offered for sale at almost new prices. You need to shop retail - and know the gun you are interested in - before you head off to a gun show. There are reputable dealers there - but there are also a lot of people that buy and re-sell things they know nothing about and could care less if it has a problem.
Old March 19, 2009, 02:21 PM   #5
srt 10 jimbo

They were selling the $225 ruger 10/22's for $350 at the Fort Lauderdale gun show last time I went.
Old March 19, 2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Jon1911

I agree that there aren't a ton of deals at gun shows right now, but they exist. Go early, poke around, don't be afraid to talk to people who brought guns from home.
Old March 19, 2009, 03:07 PM   #7
protectedbyglock

If you know what you're looking for and how much you want to pay, you can sometimes find some pretty decent deals at show.
They are usually few and far between, but I have defiantely seen some good deals.
What exactly are you looking for?
If you don't have a couple particular models in mind, and you don't know what they're worth, I'd say steer clear of the shows.....or should I say "booths".
Old March 19, 2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I go to gun shows to socialize, not to buy. There are no bargains at gun shows. Old, crappy guns extremely overpriced. Look for people in the aisles that are trying to sell. They don't have booth rent to pay and they wander around until someone makes them a decent offer. You'll get your best offers in the parking lot but I always go inside before I buy. It is hard to get a decent price at a booth table. Some of these booth watchers have the personality of a junk yard dog.
Funerals, weddings, and gun shows are great places to socialize and meet friends that you haven't seen since the last event. It is not a place to buy shotguns, IMHO.
I see your point, but there are exceptions to the rule...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=345249

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 19, 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Ruger4570

There MAY be exceptions to the rule, I just never found it. I gave up on gun shows a couple of years ago. Whatever the dealers there think is a fair price, I can buy at one or another gun shop in my area for less. I also got tired of the jewelry, knick knacks, arts and crap, multiple tables of canvas bags and luggage,whole area of "guns not for sale" and a ton of other non gun stuff. I'll just keep my entrance money and go to a local guy for my guns, both used and new.