The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 23, 2024, 08:55 PM   #1
HHQ

Gun shows, FFLs, and transfers.

I was at Wanenmachers a couple weeks ago. First time there. I was surprised at the sellers who had numerous guns for sale but didn't have an FFL. I only asked 3 but figured a number of vendors were selling their, "collections"!
I would think there would be an ATF guy or 3 at that show.
Here in Fairbanks there was a gun show this past weekend. We, wife and I, had her co worker with us. She has mentioned moving down to Florida and I suggested she should get a gun, a pistol. We found a really nice sig with red dot that fit her hand. Again, the guy had numerous guns on his table but no FFL. Said he was a retired gun store owner and had an FFL in the past. Rarely, if ever hear of ATF around here! Might be one agent in Anchorage.
She bought the gun with no paperwork required.
Coolest vender I saw at Wanenmachers was a guy working for a high end collection and astate sale company. They had recently handled the sale of Sitting Bulls rifle. Had some other cool pictures and stories.
Old April 23, 2024, 09:29 PM   #2
tangolima

Bought the gun without paper work? I wouldn't have done that, unless the gun is an antique. Not getting caught is not the same as not breaking law. You probably don't want to talk about that on a public forum.

I have been to gun show with similar kind of sellers. Buyer and seller set up appointment to meet at a FFL in town to complete the process. It is just like for-sale section of a forum.

-TL

PS. I looked up the federal gun law. It seems transfer of ownership within the same state doesn't have to go through FFL, unless required by the state laws. Sounds like the op is from Alaska, where there may not be such requirements. But I for sure will ask for a signed bill of sales to prove the start of new ownership, in case the gun is linked to police investigation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; April 23, 2024 at 10:53 PM.
Old April 24, 2024, 10:08 AM   #3
HHQ

I am in Alaska. Seller and buyer were both alaska residents. Seller a former FFL holder.
I am surprised at the number of vendors at gun shows that DO NOT have an FFL but have a table or more full of guns.
Old April 24, 2024, 11:11 AM   #4
tangolima

It is not rare even in CA, where all change in ownership must be through FFL. With today's mobile internet, I wouldn't be surprised other FFL on site can provide the service for the fee (fixed by the state).

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 24, 2024, 02:05 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
HHQ I was at Wanenmachers a couple weeks ago. First time there. I was surprised at the sellers who had numerous guns for sale but didn't have an FFL.
Why? Unless you live in a nanny state, the overwhelming number of tables will be occupied by nonFFL's.

Quote:
I only asked 3 but figured a number of vendors were selling their, "collections"!
Yup, perfectly legal.

Quote:
I would think there would be an ATF guy or 3 at that show.
Likely a dozen.

Quote:
Here in Fairbanks there was a gun show this past weekend. We, wife and I, had her co worker with us. She has mentioned moving down to Florida and I suggested she should get a gun, a pistol. We found a really nice sig with red dot that fit her hand. Again, the guy had numerous guns on his table but no FFL. Said he was a retired gun store owner and had an FFL in the past. Rarely, if ever hear of ATF around here! Might be one agent in Anchorage.
She bought the gun with no paperwork required.
Federal law doesn't require paperwork and a background check unless you are a licensed dealer.

Quote:
Coolest vender I saw at Wanenmachers was a guy working for a high end collection and astate sale company. They had recently handled the sale of Sitting Bulls rifle. Had some other cool pictures and stories.
Wanenmachers is breathtaking.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 24, 2024, 02:07 PM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
HHQ
I am surprised at the number of vendors at gun shows that DO NOT have an FFL but have a table or more full of guns.
Believe it or not, but from 1968-1986, FFL's were prohibited from selling at gun shows.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 24, 2024, 04:19 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Generally speaking (and when both parties are residents of the same state) gun shows operate under state laws. FFLs also have to operate under applicable Federal laws as well.

My state used to allow private sales without any FFL involvement. That changed a few years ago, and now all "transfers" (other than listed exceptions) are required to go through an FFL and have the background check run by them.

What gun shows in my area did when the law changed was have one FFL dealer set up at the show to do nothing but process the paperwork and do the background check for all the sales at the show. They had the busiest table of them all!