The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 5, 2013, 07:48 AM   #26
TimSr

Doesn't your state require a hunter safety course? What are the chances that a guy who has to borrow a gun to hunt with has taken the course?
Old November 5, 2013, 09:27 AM   #27
NUKE HUNTER

this guy has hunted before and does have a license, hes just lazy and sold his guns,thats what bugs me, i also think that he gives the meat away to people he owes favors to. like the old saying "you can choose your friends but you cant choose your relatives"
Old November 8, 2013, 03:35 PM   #28
psychopuppy1

Well, that throws everything into a different light! He wouldnt be getting my faverite spot! There aint no way he would be going with me! Its one thing to start out a rookie, but thats not your case! I can see your gutting and dragging this year!!!
nope,,,aint happenin,,,,notdoinit,,,,cantmakeme,,,,
Old November 8, 2013, 03:43 PM   #29
n5lyc

Yep I agree with psychopuppy, an ENTIRELY. Different story there..
ain't gonna happen.

I would make a sudden excuse of either having to work, or won't be going tomorrow because I just came down with this horrible cold(call and stick 2 ear plugs in your nose for effect)

But yea, sorry bro, you are on your own..

And then go hunting anyway without him..
2. He will be aiming the NEW Weapon at someone carrying an AK.
Old November 10, 2013, 06:55 PM   #30
BerdanSS

@ DOYLE

LOL, yessir....Back at that time, blue belly yankees

Now a days, with a .36 brasser in each hand and Winston, my steady tenn. walker.

Reb Cavalry!

Now, OP

Yes, really changes the situation him having experience and all. I've told my brother in law a dead NO to his face many a time due to the same lack of want to have his own gear, not wanting to get his hands dirty and just overall laziness to boot.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:33 AM   #31
TB9

brake your extra gun and tell him it'll cost a $100 bucks for the part then you gotta fit it he's welcome to pay the freight if he wants to use the rifle but the part has to be instaled by a gun smith ya know at fitty buck a nour. or just say NO. but relatives can be a big ole pain in the good luck on what ever you decide to do.
Old November 11, 2013, 11:04 AM   #32
Captchee

Yep most re-enactments don’t allow anything but powder down the bore . No loading rods and no wads .
A simple charge of BP , will make a very good crack . Myself I use my hunting load of 80 grains of 3F . Simple settle the powder by tamping the stock and she will make a nice sound . But as another said , your going to probably have to clean it in order to reload it .
One thing we used to do however at parades was to put a few kernels of popcorn down the bore . When the gun was fired into the air , , pipity , poppity . LOL . But a lot of that is gone now as many times they don’t even allow you to fire blank loads .

Relatives are what relatives are your not going to get around that by trying to make a fool of him . In Fact you may even make the situation worse if he actually gets a shot at a good deer . Whats going to happen when your wife finds out or he goes around telling the rest of the family what an A hole you were? .
While they probably know what he is like , its not going to change the bad mouthing or the possible turmoil in the family .
If it were me , I would just take him along . You already agreed, so your committed .
In fact I might even go so far as to give him the best hunt I could . Then next year if he wants to come back , simply say SORRY , I loaned my extra rifle out to someone else who was wanting to give it a try .. Make it know right out front that if he chose’s to buy his own gear and come along with you , that you wont have much time to spend with him as you have to fulfill your primary obligation to your emendate family and friends first.

Now on the bright side , you could have a relative like I have .
My wife and sister were very close . My sister-in-law , against the families recommendation , married this guy from Alaska .The 2nd year of their marriage she called my wife and asks if I would like to come up to Alaska on a Moose hunt . All expenses paid.
I was like ,,,,,HELL YA!!!!
So I call her up for information .; Can I use my muzzleloader, what all do I need to do to comply with the state laws , where are we going , what extra gear should I bring …….
She then tells me I don’t need to bring anything but extra clothes ,a good extreme cold weather bag and such .
Not once did she mention a rifle . So I ask again ,; can I use my muzzleloader or will your husband have a rifle for me to use and will I have time to shoot a few boxes of shells ?.

that’s when I finally get the true story . This guy wanted me to come up on a moose hunt alright . Seems his regular partner , do to health issues , couldn’t make it that year and what he wanted was someone to come up and help him pack out his moose , be camp cook , load and unload his boat .

Last edited by Captchee; November 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old November 11, 2013, 01:50 PM   #33
n5lyc

I had relatives like that Capchee.
Shortly after I graduated from high school one that lived in Colorado asked if I wanted to make a little extra money, come up, be camp cook for 2 weeks, make $400, all expenses paid.

I went, 2 weeks became 2 months, (camp cook, for 2 different customers, then for 2 more customers of his guide service)

Then doing odd jobs at his jeep rental company in Silverton during the off season for a while.

Bottom line, still only got $400.
And I had to pay for my bus ticket back to Louisiana.
Some people.
2. He will be aiming the NEW Weapon at someone carrying an AK.

Last edited by n5lyc; November 11, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old November 17, 2013, 11:15 AM   #34
NUKE HUNTER

got a phone call two days before this knucklehead was suppose to hunt with me and he cancelled. thank you lord !! told him to delete my phone number.
never again.